On This Day In History

NurembergVillan

It's also the 430th anniversary of Sir Francis Drake sailing a fleet into Cadiz harbour and "singeing the King of Spain's beard".

Surprised The Sun missed an open goal with that one today.  They must've been gutted they had to report on the general election.

Today in 1775 you could say is one of the most important days in the world we live in today...

interestingly (maybe not) it's also the day that the first soldier was killed in the us civil war 

Oklahoma City bombing

spanish civil war declared over by franco

warsaw ghetto uprisings

waco

Villa vs Liverpool fa cup semi final

Not a bad day to start this thread

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I hope this thread is still going when it comes round to my birthday (January 30th) *

Execution of King Charles I 

Adolf Hitler came to power

Assassination of Mahatma Gandhi 

Bloody Sunday in N. Ireland

* (Come to think of it, hope I'M still going when it comes round to my Birthday). 

some fairly major events there  and not just you being born :)

Mine isn't anywhere near as exciting (26th Aug)  , though this particular one did appeal to me  :)

1346 – Hundred Years' War: The military supremacy of the English longbow over the French combination of crossbow and armoured knights is established at the Battle of Crecy.

only other real major event was

1945 Japanese diplomats board USS Missouri to receive instructions on Japan's surrender at the end of WWII

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

9 years ago today..... it was nice having a decent team

Never noticed it before but our second goal I don't think Carew makes any contact with the ball ...

Just now, TrentVilla said:

Definitely does mate

Yeah in real time you can even sorta see the contact and the ball appearing to move  in flight , but the angle in the replay behind the goal around 3:10  , I dunno , it's hard to see any contact ... could just be the angle I guess

7 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Yeah in real time you can even sorta see the contact and the ball appearing to move  in flight , but the angle in the replay behind the goal around 3:10  , I dunno , it's hard to see any contact ... could just be the angle I guess

Or your age/eyes. :)

I've absolutely no doubt he makes contact, the direction of the ball chamges. 

PHOTO: cbc

Rosie Ruiz "won" the Boston Marathon by getting off a subway train a mile from the finish and somehow mixed in with the runners unnoticed and sprinted to the finish line, fooling everybody. She was found out the next day. I've always kind of liked her for it though, great piss take.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, maqroll said:

PHOTO: cbc

Rosie Ruiz "won" the Boston Marathon by getting off a subway train a mile from the finish and somehow mixed in with the runners unnoticed and sprinted to the finish line, fooling everybody. She was found out the next day. I've always kind of liked her for it though, great piss take.

My favourite similar scam was an ultra marathon where twin brothers swapped over  and got rumbled because  a journalist noticed in photos the guys watch was suddenly on the other arm

they may have got caught anyway as another runner was adamant  he'd never been over taken by him , but a part of me Is amused that they may have got away with it but for the watch thing

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 21/04/2017 at 09:48, tonyh29 said:

At the game. in the lower Holte, and he definitely touched it.

• Like 1

Â