On This Day In History

NurembergVillan

Carrying on the theme of the last few pages, just to annoy @bickster

Yesterday was 26 years since this was released @lapal_fan

Musically, probably their finest work. Not my favourite album (probably my 3rd favourite) but still fantastic. I shall give it a blast now.

220px-OasisDefinitelyMaybealbumcover.jpg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Carrying on the theme of the last few pages, just to annoy @bickster

Yesterday was 26 years since this was released @lapal_fan

Musically, probably their finest work. Not my favourite album (probably my 3rd favourite) but still fantastic. I shall give it a blast now.

220px-OasisDefinitelyMaybealbumcover.jpg

Might be unpopular, my favourite Oasis album - The Masterplan, considering their other music not bad for an album of B-sides!

• Like 2

Read an article once with the album’s sleeve designer saying how the photographer had a fit when he realised that despite a day or two preparing, working out who/what goes where, you could see a reflection of a light stand in the Burt Bacharach picture.

• Like 1

Today is Miner’s Day in Donetsk, Ukraine / Russia / DPR

EgqEc0-WsAI0JMf?format=jpg&name=small

Donetsk was originally called Yuzovka, or Hughes Town, after John Hughes from Merthyr Tydfil.

But they had a bit of a rebrand around about the time of the Russian Revolution.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Donetsk was originally called Yuzovka, or Hughes Town, after John Hughes from Merthyr Tydfil.

But they had a bit of a rebrand around about the time of the Russian Revolution.

I actually knew this, from when my Grandfather went to Russia in the '70s. He went on these Trade Union sponsored visits for retired union members and because he was a former coal worker, a week of one of the trips (a month long!) was spent in the Donbass region and Donetsk. They told him all about that association, especially as he and his mate Jack we from Hirwaun across the mountain

His friend Jack, Jack Jones, just another of my Grandfather's mates from the pit who he played bowls with up the welfare or so I thought. He was treated like a hero of the revolution when he got to the USSR.

He was in a former life Jack Jones, former Everton footballer, played in the same team as Dixie Dean. If you look at those Everton teamsheets from back then, he was in the side all the time, then.... nothing, just disappeared at the end of the 1938 season. He wasn't dropped, nor was he injured or transfered. He left football to go and join the International Brigade in the Spanish Civil War. It was literally the first question they asked anyone when the plane touched down in Moscow. Are you the Jack Jones that played for Everton?

Like I said, to us, he was just my Grandfathers mate. In Russia, he was lorded as something quite different

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Read an article once with the album’s sleeve designer saying how the photographer had a fit when he realised that despite a day or two preparing, working out who/what goes where, you could see a reflection of a light stand in the Burt Bacharach picture.

Welcome back! Where you been? Back with a fresh username as well! 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Xela said:

Welcome back! Where you been? Back with a fresh username as well! 

Cheers Alex. 

Not been too bad, thanks, you well? Just wanted a break from VT, football, just re-evaluate a few things (of course at the time I had no idea that everyone would soon be taking a break from the game!).

Still feeling a bit ambivalent about football in all honesty but have found myself lurking on VT over the past few months so thought I’d return to the fray in some capacity. 

And yeah, the name change. Literally a week after I first joined I realised I preferred it to  my original pick and it’s bugged me for 5 years. Plus it means a few quid in the VT coffers, so all good.

Don’t worry, despite the change in name I intend all my future posts to maintain the same level of mundanity as before :thumb:

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Cheers Alex. 

Not been too bad, thanks, you well? Just wanted a break from VT, football, just re-evaluate a few things (of course at the time I had no idea that everyone would soon be taking a break from the game!).

Still feeling a bit ambivalent about football in all honesty but have found myself lurking on VT over the past few months so thought I’d return to the fray in some capacity. 

And yeah, the name change. Literally a week after I first joined I realised I preferred it to  my original pick and it’s bugged me for 5 years. Plus it means a few quid in the VT coffers, so all good.

Don’t worry, despite the change in name I intend all my future posts to maintain the same level of mundanity as before :thumb:

All good here thanks mate. Hope you have re-evaluated what you need and are in a good place now. I know what you mean about football, its not as important to me as it used to be but its a distraction from the daily grind. I came to VT for the football and stayed for the puns, Ice Rinks and Kenneth gifs! :) 

• Like 1

On 21/08/2020 at 21:12, Genie said:

I had the Japan version, had a great version of Fade Away as a b-side.

I’m not sure why they didn’t push it in the UK.

Liams voice went down hill for a few years after this tour

Great version 

The thing that I notice most about the video is the crowd. Everyone dancing and singing along. No standing still and recording it on your phone to post to social media later. People actually got lost in the moment. Much better times IMO. 

• Like 1

Just now, Xela said:

Great version 

The thing that I notice most about the video is the crowd. Everyone dancing and singing along. No standing still and recording it on your phone to post to social media later. People actually got lost in the moment. Much better times IMO. 

I tend to mostly go to local gigs these days, often for bands I know personally. My rule of thumb is: film ONE song only, then put the phone away. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Â