On This Day In History

NurembergVillan

On 20/04/2020 at 15:52, AVFC_Hitz said:

We drove all the way from Aberystwyth for this game. A Leeds supporting mate came along too for the giggles. Proper pissed in the Lamp Tavern afterwards. I can still remember all the goals as if they were yesterday and singing 'we'll meet again'.

Lovely stuff.

Going back to this (as I'm playing thread catch up), I celebrated 3 of those goals with General K. He went on a tour of the ground and settled in the Lower Holte by me because he didn't want to meet the small heath board after the pigs in mud thing. We hugged we cheered, he was one of us that day

• Like 1

Carnegie Hall officially opened on this day in 1891 with Tchaikovsky composing with New York Symphony Orchestra leader Walter Damrosch. 

stern_auditorium__x_large.jpg

Carnegie Hall is named after Andrew Carnegie, who funded its construction. It was intended as a venue for the Oratorio Society of New York and the New York Symphony Society, on whose boards Carnegie served. Construction began in 1890, and was carried out by Isaac A. Hopper and Company. Although the building was in use from April 1891, the official opening night was May 5, with a concert conducted by Walter Damrosch and Russian composer Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky.

Wiki

Designed by architect William Burnet Tuthill and built by philanthropist Andrew Carnegie in 1891, it is one of the most prestigious venues in the world for both classical music and popular music. Carnegie Hall has its own artistic programming, development, and marketing departments, and presents about 250 performances each season. It is also rented out to performing groups. The hall has not had a resident company since 1962,

Most of the greatest performers of classical music since the time Carnegie Hall was built have performed in the Main Hall, and its lobbies are adorned with signed portraits and memorabilia. The NBC Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Arturo Toscanini, frequently recorded in the Main Hall for RCA Victor. On November 14, 1943, the 25-year old Leonard Bernstein had his major conducting debut when he had to substitute for a suddenly ill Bruno Walter in a concert that was broadcast by CBS, making him instantly famous. In the fall of 1950, the orchestra's weekly broadcast concerts were moved there until the orchestra disbanded in 1954. Several of the concerts were televised by NBC, preserved on kinescopes, and have been released on home video.

Many legendary jazz and popular music performers have also given memorable performances at Carnegie Hall including Benny Goodman, Duke Ellington, Glenn Miller, Billie Holiday, Billy Eckstine, the Dave Brubeck Quartet, Keith Jarrett, Judy Garland, Harry Belafonte, Charles Aznavour, Simon and Garfunkel, Paul Robeson, Nina Simone, Shirley Bassey, James Taylor, and Stevie Ray Vaughan, all of whom made celebrated live recordings of their concerts there.

The SRV one is a real favourite of mine. At the end of an amazing rendition of 'Voodoo Chile' he steps forward to the mic and as the crowd go wild delivers the line, "It's fun playing Hendrix at Carnegie Hall". Genuinely one of my favourite moments in music and it's making me grin just thinking about it. 

Carnegie-Music-Hall-for-web.jpg

On 23/04/2020 at 15:46, VILLAMARV said:

38 years ago...

ZX%20Spectrum%20issue%201%20grey%20keys.

Home computing in glorious colour. The zx spectrum was launched. 

The first gaming device or machine of any description that I ever played. One of my earliest memories is playing it in on a TV my dad had borrowed so we could keep the main TV free.
Started the love of gaming for me. Been hooked ever since.

We shortly moved on to this badboy which was far better, mainly because of not having rubber keys!

spectrum-128-1.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The first gaming device or machine of any description that I ever played. One of my earliest memories is playing it in on a TV my dad had borrowed so we could keep the main TV free.
Started the love of gaming for me. Been hooked ever since.

We shortly moved on to this badboy which was far better, mainly because of not having rubber keys!

spectrum-128-1.jpg

ManicMiner, JETPAC, Trader, so many memories.

My dad came home with a ZX81. We had the 16k ram pack. So cascade 50 got so many plays. img_1827.jpg

Then my next door neighbour got the rubber keyed bad boy from 1982 and we never looked back.

It wasn't until Xmas 1987 that me and my bro got a +2 of our own to share, but the fact that I can remember the day should speak volumes for what it meant to us. Built in tape player? Are we living in Buck Rodgers time or something?

Not being allowed to play them on the main tv or you'll break it was a thing so we had a little black and white pye portable with a turny tuning knob to change the channels for gaming.

Kids today eh? 😀

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

ManicMiner, JETPAC, Trader, so many memories.

My dad came home with a ZX81. We had the 16k ram pack. So cascade 50 got so many plays. img_1827.jpg

Then my next door neighbour got the rubber keyed bad boy from 1982 and we never looked back.

It wasn't until Xmas 1987 that me and my bro got a +2 of our own to share, but the fact that I can remember the day should speak volumes for what it meant to us. Built in tape player? Are we living in Buck Rodgers time or something?

Not being allowed to play them on the main tv or you'll break it was a thing so we had a little black and white pye portable with a turny tuning knob to change the channels for gaming.

Kids today eh? 😀

I was a lot further behind. i wasn't born until 1985 so I reckon my memory of playing the ZX Spectrum was probably 1990. We upgraded to the 128 about 92 or 93 I reckon

• Like 1

No early home computers for us.

It was just down the amusement arcades every day, for the latest arcade games.

10p a go, get good at it and you could play all day for 10p.

Just had to keep a wary eye on the paedo’s and it was all great.

Of course, once the summer season came and they wanted the games freed up for the tourist punters that would spend a pound trying to work out the controls, then you’d be banned. But we’d be back in September...

• Like 1

My dad was obsessed so we had all sorts of home computers.

From memory we had

ZX Spectrum
Spectrum 128
Commodore 64
Lynx
BBC Computer
Some sort of Acorn
Some sort of Amstrad

I don't think he ever bought any of them mind you. Always got them as a loan from someone or from a car boot sale or something. I still remember buying the 128 at a boot sale. Our ZX Spectrum had broken. We spotted the 128 at a car boot ad bought it. I was only about 7 I reckon. Still remember him saying "We're back in business!" as we walked away from the stall

The first games machine I remember was the Commodore Vic 20, my dad mostly played it but by the time we’d upgraded to a Commodore 16 I was old enough to get playing. Kickstart and Airwolf were my favourites, I remember Kickstart being quite hard. It’s essentially a scrolling left to right screen where you control a little dude on a motor bike, jumping over obstacles and trying to get to the end of each level. Of course like all games back then, when you’re out of lives you had to start again. So frustrating! I recently watched a YouTube walk (or ride?) through of Kickstart... it looks so flipping easy now. 

I the C16 was good, that was nothing when the C64 came out.... 

09A8AE17-6EC4-4A29-AC8D-196843D1287F.jpeg

More tales of the local Facebook group for local people. I came back from my run and commented on all the VE Day union jacks around the (very Brexity) area - particularly that I was pleased to see one house with a stars & stripes and a tricoleur, after all it was an Allied victory. I also added that it was a pity that nobody acknowledged that all the really heavy lifting was done by the Soviet Union (just check the comparative casualty figures). They didn't like it, no sir. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

More tales of the local Facebook group for local people. I came back from my run and commented on all the VE Day union jacks around the (very Brexity) area - particularly that I was pleased to see one house with a stars & stripes and a tricoleur, after all it was an Allied victory. I also added that it was a pity that nobody acknowledged that all the really heavy lifting was done by the Soviet Union (just check the comparative casualty figures). They didn't like it, no sir. 

Like people conveniently airbrush the Prussian army out of their thinking at Waterloo...

• Like 1

In 1898, some 122 years ago the first ever Italian football league matches took place in Torino. The first ever title was won by Genoa that very same day. The only team not from Torino to compete.

In March 1898, the Italian Football Federation (Federazione Italiana del Football, later re-called Federazione Italiana Giuoco Calcio, FIGC) was set up in Turin. With four clubs joining - Genoa, FC Torinese, Internazionale di Torino and the Società Ginnastica di Torino (Gymnastic Society of Torino). Other clubs existed but decided not to join. The first championship took place on a single day, May 8, 1898 in Torino. The title was won by Genoa.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_football_league_system

It's also apparently 134 years to the day that the first carbonated beverage named 'Coca Cola' was sold as a patent medicine. 

Confederate Colonel John Pemberton, who was wounded in the American Civil War and became addicted to morphine, began a quest to find a substitute for the problematic drug. In 1885 at Pemberton's Eagle Drug and Chemical House, a drugstore in Columbus, Georgia, he registered Pemberton's French Wine Coca nerve tonic. Pemberton's tonic may have been inspired by the formidable success of Vin Mariani, a French-Corsican coca wine, but his recipe additionally included the African kola nut, the beverage's source of caffeine.

It is also worth noting that a Spanish drink called "Kola Coca" was presented at a contest in Philadelphia in 1885, a year before the official birth of Coca-Cola. The rights for this Spanish drink were bought by Coca-Cola in 1953.

In 1886, when Atlanta and Fulton County passed prohibition legislation, Pemberton responded by developing Coca-Cola, a nonalcoholic version of Pemberton's French Wine Coca. It was marketed as "Coca-Cola: The temperance drink", which appealed to many people as the temperance movement enjoyed wide support during this time. The first sales were at the Jewish owned establishment Jacob's Pharmacy in Atlanta, Georgia, on May 8, 1886, where it initially sold for five cents a glass. Drugstore soda fountains were popular in the United States at the time due to the belief that carbonated water was good for the health, and Pemberton's new drink was marketed and sold as a patent medicine, Pemberton claiming it a cure for many diseases, including morphine addiction, indigestion, nerve disorders, headaches, and impotence.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coca-Cola

800px-19th_century_Coca-Cola_coupon.jpg

Believed to be the first coupon ever, this ticket for a free glass of Coca-Cola was first distributed in 1888 to help promote the drink. By 1913, the company had redeemed 8.5 million tickets.

• Like 1

Â