General Election 2017

ender4

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

She asked "I persume you have the figures"  he answered "yes I do" that was  a lie 

How? They have the figures, just not off the top of his head. The implication of the question is has this been costed, and of course the answer is yes.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, PaulC said:

She asked "I persume you have the figures"  he answered "yes I do" that was  a lie 

I have literally done this in a meeting. I couldn't recall a figure, it was in an email and also in the pack I had, and checked. If asked of I had the figure, is say yes. Because I did. I'd just forgotten it.

This entire discussion is absurd.

• Like 4

Just now, blandy said:

Yes, ideally. As Risso said, he was doing the interview to promote the particular policy, so ought to have been able to say the figure. But...all the politicians, from Hammond, to Abbott, to Corbyn, they're all at this campaigning thing pretty much non-stop, with everything being scrutinised and dissected. To expect any/all of them to not slip up occasionally is probably to expect too much. They are mostly human, after all.

I think it's just human, rather than incompetence in this case. There's plenty of things to criticise Corbyn for, though he's doing very well in this campaigning thing, overall. Partly I suppose because the contrast with T.May is so stark.

Yes I agree with that, they are all under intense pressure. I don't know how they cope tbf

3 minutes ago, PaulC said:

He had them at his fingertips via the means of iPaddery. 

4 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Neither of those lines are in the transcript. Have another go.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, blandy said:

He had them at his fingertips via the means of iPaddery. 

Not even sure that's right as the interviewer had to put him out of his misery and give him the figure herself.

5 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Neither of those lines are in the transcript. Have another go.

Yes they are:

EB: "I presume you have the figures?"

JC: “Yes I do"

Edit - I see you've found it. Sorry - timing just out .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

Really I just watched the clip again and I think I got it word for word. 

You're actually right, seems I was looking at an abridged copy of the transcript. Objection withdrawn. :P 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Risso said:

Not even sure that's right as the interviewer had to put him out of his misery and give him the figure herself.

Which kind of begs the question why she, er, asked the question - she knew Labour had done the sums, because she had the answer herself. SO as was said earlier on in the thread, there's an element of interviewers wanting to trip people up, rather than give policies time to be explained. It's mostly politician's own fault, as it's a never ending race between spinning and only putting forward one side of an argument, or debate against interviewers trying to find and probe flaws in the ideas - and cost is a significant factor. The better question she asked was "Why on earth are you giving free childcare to people who can afford it? 

• Like 4

Thought I'd chip in on the Private School fees VAT bit from a few pages back. 

Our daughter joined reception last Sept so we've recently been through this process. We were forced into the Private system because we couldn't get a place at any of the schools in our area. The demand has greatly increased in the last few years and investment from Conservative government has not kept up. We were offered two places one which was an hour commute away and a real dive of a school, parts of it literally falling down and it was in a very rough area. The other was 45 mins away and had two convicted pedophile teachers in the last four years (not a joke). 

So wanting to do the best for our child we didn't really have much choice and had to go private. We are not part of the elite but are rather another victim of Tory austerity just in a different way. A 20% hike in our fees will be a very difficult pill to swallow. We should be able to keep her there but it won't be easy, especially as we have another daughter who is 1 and will be facing the same issues in a few years. 

I think it was @snowychap who mentioned something about assisted places schemes which means the state sector won't be flooded with people being priced out of private sector. I don't know how that works and haven't been able to find anything about it. 

I still plan to vote Labour. With such a wide gap between the parties your vote has to be balanced on a wide range of factors. While I am personally getting stung fairly heavily on our biggest family outgoing there are a number of other factors Labour are offering which I am in favour of. 

Edited by villaglint
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Unless the SNP get into bed with the Tories, because the Tories promise them a new referendum, Cutting Scotland free from the union and giving the Tories power for the next however many decades... just a thought

They wouldnt even last a month i reckon. Can see snp and Labour doing a deal then the fighting starts and we have another election!

27 minutes ago, villaglint said:

I think it was @snowychap who mentioned something about assisted places schemes which means the state sector won't be flooded with people being priced out of private sector. I don't know how that works and haven't been able to find anything about it. 

The assisted places scheme was something in place from the early Thatch years until 1997.

It would appear that, since then, a lot of schools expanded (or introduced) bursary schemes to help people who may not be able to afford full fees (something different to scholarships awarded for academic, musical or sporting merit). The numbers of pupils that don't pay full fees is something that the ISC certainly bang on about when talking about the subject of VAT or charitable status - here for example:

The ISC said that a third of all pupils received some form of support for paying their fees, although only a little over 1% – 5,400 pupils – pay no fees. Schools gave more than £700m in means-tested bursaries to 41,000 pupils, for an average of £8,000 each in fees assistance.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Risso said:

I suspect 'she put him out of his misery' because she was an impatient woman, on woman's hour, wanting to make a quick name for herself at the expense of a politician. Some woman MP called sexism at the expense of that (admittedly smug prick) Murnaghan not too long ago because of the nature of his line of questioning. She claimed that he wouldn't have asked a male MP the same question in the same way. I wonder if this interviewer on Woman's Hour would have been quite so impatient and point scoringly obtuse with Mrs May.

At the end of the day, this female interviewer failed to give Mr Corbyn any reasonable time to find and give the accurate figure. Even trying to humiliate him by saying 'ah, you're logging into your iPad...' Better to take time to give an accurate figure, than give false information? No? Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. Terrible journalism.

Word removed-ing bint. ;)

1 hour ago, Risso said:

Because she was stopping him logging into it by keeping asking him questions and saying "you're logging into your iPad" on air as if to grass him up.

Â