General Election 2017

ender4

7 hours ago, LancsVillan said:

Judging by the number of 'kids' I've heard whilst working and how they are lining up to vote we could be in for a few shocks methinks. The tuition fees 'bribe' seems to have worked for a few as well. 

I hope so. I saw something maybe a week or two ago which used stats to say it wouldn't. All to do with the percentage of the population who are in the "young voters" category. It was something like 12%. Then if instead of not being registered or not bothering to vote they vote in similar percentages to older people, so say 60% of the 12%, instead of 30% of the 12%, then that's an increase in the overall number of voters of about 4%. Of those 4%, some will vote Tory, some liberal, some green ,some snp, so even if a lot, say, a bit more than half vote labour, that's a 2% or so more of the national vote going to labour.  Not enough to make a big difference, if any, particularly with the ukips vote from last time going Tory. 

That was the article basis, though I've no doubt slightly misrepresented the maths somewhere in there .

50 minutes ago, Rodders said:

When finding work is getting tougher why wouldnt you try and spend 3 years of your life funded for you! 

Very sceptical of those polls. Refuse to believe them given the past few years. Still expect a tory majority

Tuition fees are an alien concept to me. You just never paid to go to college or university. Some kids went to do O and A levels, some worked. If you did higher education you knew it would be a struggle financially as you'd need student accommodation and money to live so you probably had to get a part time job or 2 while studying. So maybe half of my school year went to college and half went directly into employment. I don't remember the lure of free degrees to be much of a factor as they weren't free, it still required quite a financial commitment.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, choffer said:

Surely there's a distinction between not being able to recall something and not actually having anything concrete to recall?

The thing is if this was May people would say exactly the same thing she dont know her figures. This is no different in my eyes 

46 minutes ago, blandy said:

I hope so. I saw something maybe a week or two ago which used stats to say it wouldn't. All to do with the percentage of the population who are in the "young voters" category. It was something like 12%. Then if instead of not being registered or not bothering to vote they vote in similar percentages to older people, so say 60% of the 12%, instead of 30% of the 12%, then that's an increase in the overall number of voters of about 4%. Of those 4%, some will vote Tory, some liberal, some green ,some snp, so even if a lot, say, a bit more than half vote labour, that's a 2% or so more of the national vote going to labour.  Not enough to make a big difference, if any, particularly with the ukips vote from last time going Tory. 

That was the article basis, though I've no doubt slightly misrepresented the maths somewhere in there .

Wonder if it might affect how their parents vote though. 

6 minutes ago, peterms said:

Not only that, but it doesn't tell us anything most of the time. The whole thing is the politicians fault, not the media's mind. For me it goes like this: for ages politicians have sought to impress voters by saying things like "we're spending 6 billion pounds on it, whereas the other party only spent 4 billion pounds on it" or "under the last government, cuts of 5 % to this thing meant....". Politicians also put the figures in leaflets and manifestos. So it's had to blame interviewers for asking a politician to cite the cost of a thing they're there to talk about. But...it's all kind of meaningless to me. 3 billion here, 2 billion there - all such astronomical figures in a sea of other figures that they tend to hide as much as they reveal.

7 hours ago, LancsVillan said:

Judging by the number of 'kids' I've heard whilst working and how they are lining up to vote we could be in for a few shocks methinks. The tuition fees 'bribe' seems to have worked for a few as well. 

There were some figures published by the electoral reform society (I think) just after registration closed that claimed that 250,000 under 25's registered to vote on the final day of registration, which compared to about 130,000 on the last day of registration in both the last general election and the referendum. It also stated that the figures were roughly double each day in the entire week leading up to the close of registration for that age group.

20 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Any chance of a hung parliament? 

That be so great for the country with brexit :rolleyes:

I dunno, but it'd offer an opportunity to change things for the better, to reduce tribalism and for people to work for the country instead of the party. 

Yeah ... gimme another toke on that.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, blandy said:

I dunno, but it'd offer an opportunity to change things for the better, to reduce tribalism and for people to work for the country instead of the party. 

Yeah ... gimme another toke on that.

Unless the SNP get into bed with the Tories, because the Tories promise them a new referendum, Cutting Scotland free from the union and giving the Tories power for the next however many decades... just a thought

The whole 'politician forgot his figures' gotcha! thing is increasingly tiresome. It doesn't tell anyone anything. It's game playing. Yes it's embarrassing, but for it actually means? They forgot something. Great?

• Like 4

Â