General Election 2017

ender4

31 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

If corbyn wins he better kerp his promise with the 1% pay increase fir nhs staff 

I think that now people are starting to say "if" rather than no chance is incredible as at the start no one gave him a chance.

Im a Labour supporter but even at the start of the election I was voting Labour not for Corbyn. Im now actually voting for Corbyn, I believe him to be a politician who genuinely cares about the people and his history on the front line things he supports (whether I agree with them or not) is someone worthy of voting for.  

I think it is more highlighted by May being incredibly unlikable and her highlighting the things I hate most about the tories. Also the media bias against Corbyn says a lot about both parties and for me that is a negative for May and a positive for Corbyn. 

• Like 3

I can't believe what I'm watching on the BBC 1 news.

They lead with Corbyn asking to check his figures on his iPad rather than give wrong figures about childcare as him 'not being able to give figures' and then straight into Theresa May kick-starting her brexit campaign.

They're don't even pretend to be neutral now.

• Like 1

Yeah, they've headline news'd it. He didn't even get the figures wrong. He asked to check them. Seems sensible to me. Poor form BBC.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, darrenm said:

I can't believe what I'm watching on the BBC 1 news.

They lead with Corbyn asking to check his figures on his iPad rather than give wrong figures about childcare as him 'not being able to give figures' and then straight into Theresa May kick-starting her brexit campaign.

They're don't even pretend to be neutral now.

It's almost like there's a blackout on Tory-related news:

Screen%20Shot%202017-05-30%20at%2013.29.

Edited by choffer

It seems to me that rather than this being an example of bias from the BBC it is actually another example of the lengths some will go to absolve Corbyn from criticism.

One of the biggest challenges facing Corbyn and Labour is that of economic trust or lack of trust. Now it can be debated if this is justified or not but the existence of the issue can't be.

That is why it was damaging when Abbott had her moment over the funding of extra Police and why this latest example is damaging however much people wish to downplay it.

Here is the actual exchange;

Emma Barnett: How much will it cost to provide un-means-tested childcare for 1.3 million children?

Jeremy Corbyn: Um, it will cost, it will obviously cost a lot to do so, we accept that.

EB: I presume you have the figures?

JC: Yes I do. It does cost a lot to do it. The point I’m trying to make is we’re making it universal so that we are in a position to make sure that every child gets it and those that can at the moment get free places will continue to get them. Those that have to pay won’t and we’ll collect the money through taxation, mainly through corporate taxation.

EB: So how much will it cost?

JC: I’ll give you the figure in a moment.

EB: You don’t know it? You’re logging into your iPad here. You’ve launched a major policy and you don’t know much it’ll cost.

JC: Can I give you the exact figure in a moment, please?

EB: Is this not exactly the issue with people and the Labour party which came up under Gordon Brown, that we cannot trust you with our money?

JC: Not at all.

EB: You don’t know the figure.

JC: All of our manifesto is fully costed and examined.

EB: You’re holding your manifesto, flicking through it, you’ve got an iPad there, you’ve had a phone call while we’re in here, and you don’t know how much it’s going to cost?

JC: Can we come back to that in a moment?

EB: What when you’ve looked it up. My point is it’s quite troubling, it’s a policy you’re launching today, Mr Corbyn, and you don’t know how much it’s going to cost. It hardly inspires the voters.

JC: I think what is important for the voters to understand is that if we don’t invest in our children and we don’t invest in them for the future then they do less well in primary school, less well in secondary school, and less well in the future.

EB: But you don’t know the cost.

JC: I want to give you an accurate figure.

EB: Why on earth are you giving free childcare to people can afford it? If it’s un-means-tested, you don’t have the figure, hopefully someone’s emailing it to you.

JC: The important thing is that all children get a chance to grow up together. At the moment we have a system which separates out in the sense that a child of wealthy parents may well be able to go to a paid-for preschool or nursery facility. Others will not get that chance because their parents can’t afford it or if they’re poor will get a free space.

EB: This is a very expensive policy, My Corbyn, I’m going to help you out with the figures. I’ve got them. Would you like to hear how much it’s going to cost?

JC: What we think is it’s more important to invest for the whole community and collect the money back through taxation on the principle of universalism. The same applies with the National Health Service and applies with mainstream education.

EB: It’s a staggering cost, would you like to know how much your policy is going to cost, Mr Corbyn?

JC: What is your estimate?

EB: It’s actually Angela Rayner, your shadow education secretary. £2.7 billion, and then £4.8 billion, plus that, with half a billion to reverse cuts to the Sure Start scheme.

JC: It does sound correct.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DK82 said:

And those who have done retail qualifications, which there are plenty. Do they also not deserve the rise?

as far as i know its still classed as an unskilled position

either way you wont convince a chippy that someone who works in retail should be on 50p an hour less than them

51 minutes ago, darrenm said:

You work in the NHS Dem? Honestly, if you're NHS and don't vote Labour you need your head looking at

But you wouldn't be able to get an appointment ;)

I like his plans on NHS, its just a lot of others things I dont like! I am not voting May unless she scraps that "dementia tax" 

I am actually swaying towards lib dems but like I have said on a number of times my area is labour safe seat so its pointless me voting 

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

you should try working in construction...sorry but having spent time doing both you wont bother me with that argument

people on site arent happy that unqualified, unskilled workers should get £10 an hour whilst qualified skilled workers get £10.50

as one said to me last week "whats the point in getting qualified" you might as well just be a labourer

The real question is why are qualified, skilled people (such as carpenters in your example in another post) only being paid £10.50 an hour?

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

It seems to me that rather than this being an example of bias from the BBC it is actually another example of the lengths some will go to absolve Corbyn from criticism.

One of the biggest challenges facing Corbyn and Labour is that of economic trust or lack of trust. Now it can be debated if this is justified or not but the existence of the issue can't be.

That is why it was damaging when Abbott had her moment over the funding of extra Police and why this latest example is damaging however much people wish to downplay it.

Here is the actual exchange;

Emma Barnett: How much will it cost to provide un-means-tested childcare for 1.3 million children?

Jeremy Corbyn: Um, it will cost, it will obviously cost a lot to do so, we accept that.

EB: I presume you have the figures?

JC: Yes I do. It does cost a lot to do it. The point I’m trying to make is we’re making it universal so that we are in a position to make sure that every child gets it and those that can at the moment get free places will continue to get them. Those that have to pay won’t and we’ll collect the money through taxation, mainly through corporate taxation.

EB: So how much will it cost?

JC: I’ll give you the figure in a moment.

EB: You don’t know it? You’re logging into your iPad here. You’ve launched a major policy and you don’t know much it’ll cost.

JC: Can I give you the exact figure in a moment, please?

EB: Is this not exactly the issue with people and the Labour party which came up under Gordon Brown, that we cannot trust you with our money?

JC: Not at all.

EB: You don’t know the figure.

JC: All of our manifesto is fully costed and examined.

EB: You’re holding your manifesto, flicking through it, you’ve got an iPad there, you’ve had a phone call while we’re in here, and you don’t know how much it’s going to cost?

JC: Can we come back to that in a moment?

EB: What when you’ve looked it up. My point is it’s quite troubling, it’s a policy you’re launching today, Mr Corbyn, and you don’t know how much it’s going to cost. It hardly inspires the voters.

JC: I think what is important for the voters to understand is that if we don’t invest in our children and we don’t invest in them for the future then they do less well in primary school, less well in secondary school, and less well in the future.

EB: But you don’t know the cost.

JC: I want to give you an accurate figure.

EB: Why on earth are you giving free childcare to people can afford it? If it’s un-means-tested, you don’t have the figure, hopefully someone’s emailing it to you.

JC: The important thing is that all children get a chance to grow up together. At the moment we have a system which separates out in the sense that a child of wealthy parents may well be able to go to a paid-for preschool or nursery facility. Others will not get that chance because their parents can’t afford it or if they’re poor will get a free space.

EB: This is a very expensive policy, My Corbyn, I’m going to help you out with the figures. I’ve got them. Would you like to hear how much it’s going to cost?

JC: What we think is it’s more important to invest for the whole community and collect the money back through taxation on the principle of universalism. The same applies with the National Health Service and applies with mainstream education.

EB: It’s a staggering cost, would you like to know how much your policy is going to cost, Mr Corbyn?

JC: What is your estimate?

EB: It’s actually Angela Rayner, your shadow education secretary. £2.7 billion, and then £4.8 billion, plus that, with half a billion to reverse cuts to the Sure Start scheme.

JC: It does sound correct.

I thoroughly disagree. This was a stitchup. Here's the video. He's simply asking for a moment to check his figures.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Was Hammonds' missing 20 billion covered to the extent that Corbyn is getting today?

And I'd also like to add, at least Labour have costed things.

They aren't remotely on the same scale and neither are they in parallel roles, had it been May today then I think it would have got the same coverage.

And yes I agree, the Tories haven't costed their manifesto and they should be being taken on over that. The problem is Labour keep tripping themselves up when pressed on their figures, which they only published in the first place because people think they are flakey with numbers.

This sort of thing is hugely damaging.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, darrenm said:

I thoroughly disagree. This was a stitchup. Here's the video. He's simply asking for a moment to check his figures.

Obviously you do. Video or transcript really makes no odds. He was asked the costings on a policy and didn't know them.

43 minutes ago, Jon said:

Yeah, they've headline news'd it. He didn't even get the figures wrong. He asked to check them. Seems sensible to me. Poor form BBC.

The proposal, like all Labours manifesto, has been fully costed, unlike the Tories  uncosted manifesto. No Politician will walk around with reams of figures in their heads. If the policy was uncosted then I could see the point , it is costed , so there isn't one. BBC being a bit unfair there.

• Like 2

The conservatives have not costed a single policy in their manifesto and people are getting frantic because Corbyn didn't want to give an incorrect figure. 

Sure, it doesn't look great, given Labour have gone through the trouble to fully cost their manifesto it irks me slightly that this is a lead headline. But it doesn't surprise me. 

May made several misleading statements last night about increasing funding for public services. Claims that are technically correct, but actually do not reflect the impression that she is trying to portray. Like she's increasing school spending. 

Essentially, she's lying. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, snowychap said:

The real question is why are qualified, skilled people (such as carpenters in your example in another post) only being paid £10.50 an hour?

thats the base rate tbf but yeah pretty much, we know we have a circa 200k labour shortfall in construction, we know that pretty much every party is somehow building a magical number of new homes and thats despite some pretty poor statistics about movement out of the industry and the ages of those staying in, its an industry heading towards less experience, less qualifications but twice as much hassle and regulation, a lot of people only put up with it because you can make money if you put the graft in

if anyone was to suggest its immigrants and foreign workers etc i come across surprisingly few as a main contractor on £5-10m projects in the midlands, probably not even 10%

Â