General Election 2017

ender4

So scrap tuition fees

give nhs workers a pay increase

raise minimum wage

how the hell do you plan to do all of this? No way on earth they can make a promise like this with brexit and the way the economy is. Disaster waiting to happen if labour cone in

They're largely pinning it on an increase in corporation tax I believe.

Meanwhile all the businesses that want to do business easier with the EU will see a tax rise, and see Dublin offering a discount, and the Low Countries offering a discount, etc...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chindie said:

They're largely pinning it on an increase in corporation tax I believe.

Meanwhile all the businesses that want to do business easier with the EU will see a tax rise, and see Dublin offering a discount, and the Low Countries offering a discount, etc...

I've read we'll still be the lowest of the g7?

• Like 1

Any news on whether this scrapping of the £9k fees will extend to those already walking funny from the c£40k debt + ever swollowing interest already accumulated?

I suppose I could google it, but it will just make me depressed when I inevitably find out the answer is: no.

3 minutes ago, VERB27 said:

Any news on whether this scrapping of the £9k fees will extend to those already walking funny from the c£40k debt + ever swollowing interest already accumulated?

I suppose I could google it, but it will just make me depressed when I inevitably find out the answer is: no.

I seriously doubt it. Where would you draw the line? It'll be a certain date it comes in and anything after that will take effect.

36 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

It will have to be fully costed in their manifesto. Hopefully they will be proposing to ask for a few more pennies from those of us who can afford it to pay for it. I'd have no problem with paying a bit more for better public services and to help those worse off than me be they disabled, working but still poor, who have hit on hard times etc.

That's the problem though will public services get better? My concern is if they out corporation tax up could affect jobs with less new firms coming over and existing companies having to get rid of staff due to this big tax hike.

i think esp withy brexit corporation tax needs to be low to encourage investment

41 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Switzerland and the like all appear to be scraping by on higher corporation tax.

I expect once we have Brexit all their companies and staff will move here? Oh, except we won't be accepting foreign people will we.

We are currently hell bent on being a smaller country with a bigger flag.

Not sure I get the logic here... these companies didn't move here pre Brexit, why would they post Brexit?

• Like 1

Fire up the Quattro, or is it the Delorean.. Or maybe a hearse.

At least Labour can expect an entry in the Guinness Book of Records for the new longest suicide note in history. 

10 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

So scrap tuition fees

raise minimum wage

how the hell do you plan to do all of this? No way on earth they can make a promise like this with brexit and the way the economy is. Disaster waiting to happen if labour cone in

Typical labour, spend a shitload of money with no way of paying for it. It was they always do, a total shithouse of a political party. Hopefully they remain out of power for a long time. Can't stand them.

11 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

So scrap tuition fees

raise minimum wage

As opposed to the complete and utter disaster that is already happening under the Tories?

• Like 4

Every time you raise the minimum wage, companies don't raise any one else's wage. People on a low wage, but not minimum get screwed.

And raising the NHS wages, won't improve the NHS. It'll make things better for NHS workers, yes. But only investing in more staff, and the infrastructure will actually improve the service.   

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Awol said:

Fire up the Quattro, or is it the Delorean.. Or maybe a hearse.

At least Labour can expect an entry in the Guinness Book of Records for the new longest suicide note in history. 

You know.. politics is a funny thing. I remember people saying exactly that about Tories in the Blair years when they couldn't stop banging on about immigration and Europe. And yet well here we are. 

Not saying the same will apply to Labour but more to make the broader that trying to predict the longer term future is well...tricky at best.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jon_c said:

Every time you raise the minimum wage, companies don't raise any one else's wage. People on a low wage, but not minimum get screwed.

And raising the NHS wages, won't improve the NHS. It'll make things better for NHS workers, yes. But only investing in more staff, and the infrastructure will actually improve the service.   

not so sure - I work in the NHS - staff retention is real problem. For example where I work we literally can not hang onto decent project managers. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, hippo said:

That old chestnut.

You could say the same about brexit - we are opting out of one the largest trading groups in the world (thank go it wasn't a labour leader that proposed it) 

People said the minimum wage would bankrupt the economy and create mass unemployment - it went in without any issue.

The money is always there - at the moment its just in the wrong places.

If we hadn't slashed police force numbers, closed youth centres, cut back on disability benefits, - do you honestly think that state of the economy would be significantly different to what it is today ?  - course it wouldn't. 

One thing I will say the people asked for it and Cameron delivered on that so I wont slate the party on that. I am not happy about exiting the EU but I won't accept taht criticism I am afraid

The money is always there as you say, but labour haven't told us where its coming from, all they go on about is raising corporation tax, that alone will not pay for all of this.  

18 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

As opposed to the complete and utter disaster that is already happening under the Tories?

Although i agree things are pretty lame, it was a bigger shower of shit under Blairs final term and Brown. What a a shit period it was then. 

Just now, hippo said:

not so sure - I work in the NHS - staff retention is real problem. For example where I work we literally can not hang onto decent project managers. 

I work for NHS too mate, our problem is we have too many operation managers and not even staff. This is why our trust is in so much debt 

Â