Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

28 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

What a senile old b*****d. Hopefully someone slots him the despicable little rat. 

Why are GMB giving him oxygen?

• Replies 18.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

32 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Russia has a different view on it, they say they withdrew to allow food exports.

Snake Island move shows we're not hampering food exports - Russia

We've got more now from the Russian Ministry of Defence on its withdrawal from Snake Island.

The ministry says the move shows the global community "the Russian Federation is not hampering the UN's efforts to organise a humanitarian corridor to ship farming produce out of Ukraine".

It says the decision will mean Kyiv can no longer suggest that any food crisis and inability to export grain is "due to Russia's total control of the northwestern part of the Black Sea".

"Now it is up to the Ukrainian side that is still not clearing the Black Sea coastline, including the harbour waters," the ministry says.

BBC

Edited by Genie

Russia's major fuel provider Gazprom stocks plunged 27% on the Moscow Stock Exchange today. 

For the first time in nearly 25 years they will not be paying dividends.  

This is due to the cost of new infrastructure which will  to allow them to sell to new markets.   

The days of transporting gas relatively short distances to wealthy customers is coming to an end. 

Let's see how much these new customers will pay for gas knowing that Russia has nowhere else to sell it.   

2 hours ago, magnkarl said:

Yes, like when they “withdrew” from Kyiv to allow further peace talks…

They left the wreck of the Moskva as a hazard to shipping though. Buggers. Hopefully they'll leave a few more. 

50 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Russia's major fuel provider Gazprom stocks plunged 27% on the Moscow Stock Exchange today. 

This is due to the cost of new infrastructure which will  to allow them to sell to new markets.   

The days of transporting gas relatively short distances to wealthy customers is coming to an end. 

Let's see how much these new customers will pay for gas knowing that Russia has nowhere else to sell it.   

New markets= China

China buy more gas from them now than Europe did before the war. In terms of gas sales (for now at least) they are winning.

5 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

China buy more gas from them now than Europe did before the war. In terms of gas sales (for now at least) they are winning.

India too, with oil (which India is then strongly suspected of re-selling).

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, blandy said:

India too, with oil (which India is then strongly suspected of re-selling).

Having spent a fantastic period in India, getting to know and love the country and people, I have to say that their response has very much disappointed me.  

• Like 1

India is an interesting one. It’s cause for another variation on the question of whether its right that we give development aid to a country with nuclear weapons, a space programme, and an oil contract with newly anointed enemy No 1.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

India is an interesting one. It’s cause for another variation on the question of whether its right that we give development aid to a country with nuclear weapons, a space programme, and an oil contract with newly anointed enemy No 1.

Without veering back into an off topic India discussion, looking at the responses to Russia's war on Ukraine from the perspective of different nations and alliances, maybe we need to understand why the responses are what they are. It seems to me that India's response to Russia is in line with their recent trajectory. I mean India was a very much third world country but (as with their cricket team) a decade or more ago, they decided "enough of being looked down on and patted on the head, we're going to assert ourselves, flex our considerable assets (pfk) and aggressively look after India's needs and aims on the world stage" - And that's what they've been doing with a great deal of success, in cricket and in general.

So with Russia, there's a situation there to profit from cheap oil and either use that to feed their industry, and/or to sell it on as a broker and make a ton of money for the benefit of India.

• Like 1

I am puzzled why people think Russia selling gas and oil elsewhere means they are "winning".

It's only a good thing for Russia if the new customers are paying more per unit than Europe would.

If they are getting less - they are losing out.  If they are getting more - surely they'd have supplied to those countries anyway?  Or at least forced Europe to pay an even higher price to get supply. 

Could someone explain????

13 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I am puzzled why people think Russia selling gas and oil elsewhere means they are "winning".

It's only a good thing for Russia if the new customers are paying more per unit than Europe would.

If they are getting less - they are losing out.  If they are getting more - surely they'd have supplied to those countries anyway?  Or at least forced Europe to pay an even higher price to get supply. 

Could someone explain????

There was a graph thing a few nights ago on Newsnight.

Basically, right now, their oil revenue has actually gone up as the market is in disarray. So they might be shifting less quantity to the new customers, but the unit price is so much higher now than it was 6 months ago that it more than compensates. Selling half as much product, for more than double the price is good short term business.

I think, but happy to be corrected.

14 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

There was a graph thing a few nights ago on Newsnight.

Basically, right now, their oil revenue has actually gone up as the market is in disarray. So they might be shifting less quantity to the new customers, but the unit price is so much higher now than it was 6 months ago that it more than compensates. Selling half as much product, for more than double the price is good short term business.

I think, but happy to be corrected.

I understand that.  Its a short term spike.    

But Russia produces a finite amount of their product each year.   

They have >>

• Reduced the number of customers competing for their product,
  • Lost the customers who could afford to pay the most, 
  • Have to transport that product further, 

Selling to China/India is not advantageous unless they are paying more than Europe would.   And if they are paying more, surely Russia would have sold to them anyway.  

2 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

About 50 % less profit per barrel I would guess once new transport, currencies and customers are taken into account.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Genie said:

It was reported a while ago that India’s deal for Russian oil was heavily discounted 

Of course it would be.  India knows that Russia has limited customers, only has the infrastructure to provide to a limited area and desperately needs money to support the economy.  

Russias new “friends” include Iran.  I doubt they’ll be happy that a new supplier is competing with them to supply the same areas.  

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Selling half as much product, for more than double the price is good short term business.

Its a bit more complex as I thought this also.  As I understand it (Might be wrong) ,  The market they sell in is in primarily Dollars.  They don't set the rate for this and as a net exporter they need stability in demand and payment for the product in question.

They are vastly inflating the value of their currently also,  payments are received in Dollars for oil (Mostly) but they put them through a bank and change them to Rubles and then pay the invoice with that.  This creates an artificial need for the currency so who knows where they will be at the end of all it.  Just to keep the oil infrastructure working and serviced will be out of Russia's reach soon hopefully,  its complex stuff and I hope it all blows up to be honest.  Parts and servicing as an example,  even Germany (Part of Noordsteam pipe) sent the valves to Canada for repair.  If Germany cant fix it then Russia has got small heath of a chance.  (Canada cant send the valve back to Germany, sanctions , part of Russian pipe😆)

• Like 1

Â