Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

11 hours ago, ender4 said:

Isn’t there a philosophical argument that they are sides of the same coin?

War drives invention.  

Human greed and hunger for power drives technical innovation and therefore advancement of humans. 

Fair point. Which is why despite incredible technological advancement in an astonishingly short timescale, we never solve social issues. War never solves poverty, economic hardship, the environment. We are incredibly good at killing folk though. All time No. 1. 

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

20 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Fair point. Which is why despite incredible technological advancement in an astonishingly short timescale, we never solve social issues. War never solves poverty, economic hardship, the environment. We are incredibly good at killing folk though. All time No. 1. 

Nothing solves poverty.  Poverty is relative. 

7 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Iranian drones shot down in Ukraine appear to have U.S and European tech in them that was only released to the market earlier this year. Someone in the U.S is avoiding sanctions and selling things to Iran.

Parts should be traceable.  Someone could get into serious trouble.

Even if they sold them to some unknown party it won't be acceptable.  Whoever is last in the line of the supply chain will be bricking it now.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Parts should be traceable.  Someone could get into serious trouble.

Even if they sold them to some unknown party it won't be acceptable.  Whoever is last in the line of the supply chain will be bricking it now.

I think it's called the Grey market where Russia removes all import laws on everything just to see what it can get.

As you say,  if stuff is found with Serial numbers on the Battlefield then they are in serious trouble.

I would create 200 honey pot companies around the world.  Ship them 10 of whatever (Iphones) as proof of passage and quality,  then sell them 10,000 DOA's,  get the Rubles they get nothing.

When it comes to chips and high value stuff this is a valid thing to do,  so for the big order we actually send them boxes and boxes of Oven Chips.  Waste their time and money.  Especially good to do when they really need a part for oil and gas and they are waiting for it to arrive or it all goes wrong.  Just scam them to death,  they are basically going cold turkey now,  capitalise on their desperation and make it worse.

1 hour ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

I would create 200 honey pot companies around the world.  Ship them 10 of whatever (Iphones) as proof of passage and quality,  then sell them 10,000 DOA's,  get the Rubles they get nothing.

Depends on whether you fancy a nice cup of polonium tea for breakfast one of the days though, doesn't it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mister_a said:

Depends on whether you fancy a nice cup of polonium tea for breakfast one of the days though, doesn't it.

Is that the new brand from Lipton? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I highly doubt it is 40,000 troops now given that attrition has been very high

Nevertheless, that is an awful lot of troops to cross the Dnipro across what is currently left of the bridges across the river i.e. not a lot.

They will be leaving a lot of hardware behind and I would imagine that Ukraine will target the retreating troops it's not like they don't know the Lat/Longs of the crossing points

This might be a Dunkirk moment for Russia

If I was a Russian soldier, I'd definitely be looking to travel in the opposite direction with a white flag

• Like 3

5 hours ago, sidcow said:

Whoever is last in the line of the supply chain will be bricking it now.

They all will - it's the way export control law works, and the US ITAR version is incredibly onerous, in particular. Being any part of the chain is problematic, because it is incumbent on each party to verify that an item is not export controlled, and even if you're told by the one passing it on to you "no it isn't", it is incumbent on you that you verify this - the absence of documentation is not accepted. The only way to be cleared is to show you have followed all the steps that are mandated.

8 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Was this their plan all along?

No,  they wanted it all.  Day 1 and 2 they landed paratroopers on an airfield close to Kiev,  didn't go well but they genuinely thought 3 or 4 days. 

That's why they dropped at the airport to ship in troops,  they never managed to hold the airport.  If they had done that properly it might have been all over.

They are just stealing people and looting,  that's what they will end up with ultimately.  They are done long term as a attacking force.  Hold or retreat is their only commands now I suspect,  their logistics are shattered.

• Like 1

Â