Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

20 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

A quick question for those who know more about weapons than me.  

is this a mobile Burger King for troop morale or something much more deadly made to blend into a city location? 

If it’s the later,  what is it? 

99CBBFD8-CF48-4A38-8987-A1F53AA12568.jpeg

Maybe Burger King are one of the official sponsors?

• Like 1

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

21 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

is this a mobile Burger King for troop morale or something much more deadly made to blend into a city location? 

When it was reported they'd been "dropping 500 pounders", I didn't realise it was massive cheeseburgers they were talking about!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Ironically Putin is correct on some things.  The US has enjoyed being an uncontested superpower on the world stage and diminishing its economic and military dominance (by peaceful means) isn’t necessarily a bad thing. But…………

The west is a rich and mainly stable group who are unlikely to start bombing one another.  Putin’s view of the future world is the poorer countries joining together with a common goal to rival the west’s economic power.  The main problem with that theory is that a lot of these countries ARE likely to start bombing one another. Putin would like to see himself as leader of this new group.  Not going to happen.  

16 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Ironically Putin is correct on some things.  The US has enjoyed being an uncontested superpower on the world stage and diminishing its economic and military dominance (by peaceful means) isn’t necessarily a bad thing. But…………

The west is a rich and mainly stable group who are unlikely to start bombing one another.  Putin’s view of the future world is the poorer countries joining together with a common goal to rival the west’s economic power.  The main problem with that theory is that a lot of these countries ARE likely to start bombing one another. Putin would like to see himself as leader of this new group.  Not going to happen.  

I see a lot of parallels with the culture wars going on within our own societies. 

Putin is pushing the idea that the West are a bunch of ‘woke cultural imperialists’ full of ‘morally corrupt decadence’ combined with a sense of righteousness. We’ll use our might to corrupt countries built on religious values or some other form of social collectivism by planting the seed of decadent individualism. 

Who knows if he genuinely believes it or is using it cynically but things like our campaign for gay rights in Qatar or Women’s rights in Iran, or Uigher rights in China (for example) are, in his mind, examples of the West trying to corrupt and change the values of a country, to make it more Western, more ‘globalised’. 

I think that aspect is why Putin appeals to the ‘Nativists’ in western society (the MAGA, UKIP crowd etc). 

The main counter argument is that the powers-that-be in those societies potentially want to keep the status quo because they benefit the existing power structures. However I wouldn’t be surprised if those powers see themselves as championing what they see as ‘right’ for their societies (it just so happens that it also benefits them and their power base of course). 

• Like 2

Putin's getting desperate,  Russia commenting on Taiwan as well trying to bring out China?

It feels like this is coming to a head, at least in Russian terms, their propaganda is becoming more desperate.

Russia's Sechin says Taiwan will return to China 'on schedule'
By Nailia Bagirova and Olesya Astakhova

BAKU, Oct 27 (Reuters) - Igor Sechin, chief executive of Russian oil giant Rosneft (ROSN.MM) and one of Vladimir Putin's closest allies, on Thursday heaped praise on China's leaders and said Taiwan would return to its "native harbour" on time.

https://www.reuters.com/world/china/rosnefts-sechin-praises-chinese-ruling-partys-decisions-2022-10-27/

It does really need to be over by the end of the winter, or before next winter at the latest.

Putin probably wants to drag it out beyond the point that Europe runs out of its gas. Then we’ll see some major change of emphasis I’d have thought. 

I have a feeling that bad weather is going to cause a pretty long stalemate now.

16 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Is this a recent picture related to this war?

It's always the US that do that anyway.

14 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Can start by working together to get Russia out of Ukraine

I can only assume this is what he is referring to.

Its the most pressing issue/threat for super powers at this time. 

Collaboration with the US from the top man in China is a huge statement.

13 minutes ago, Genie said:

I can only assume this is what he is referring to.

Its the most pressing issue/threat for super powers at this time. 

Collaboration with the US from the top man in China is a huge statement.

China needs to be on the good side of the West,  its a need not a want.

They see the sanctions on Russia and they are scared to death.  Just like Russia they export and just like Russia they know that if that flow is cut they are dead.  The difference is Germany was very much in love with cheap fuel from a terrorist in Putin so it will take until early 2023 to turn the pipes off and in doing so finishing Russia (They cant store the Gas or Oil,  it needs to be sold).  For China,  this will be an on off switch.  Unless the goods are actually unloaded on that day then no sale.  Secondary sanctions against other countries are easy,  the boats don't dock unless the G7 says so.  (Boat insurance).

Also,  the weird thing about China is their GDP numbers,  just like Putin's army "We can beat anyone",  the regions in China have a growth target,  you don't get promote in the party unless your region meets these targets.  I believe they have lied about the GDP for 20 years and eventually this will fall down.

There are problems coming for China,  they know it ,  hence the lets be friends rhetoric.  Never trust them,  use them for what we need but that's about all until they can be proper human beings and treat people properly.

55 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Clearly there are ulterior motives with this statement, but if there is any truth in the statement that China are going to try to co-operate with the west, rather than destroy it, this is good news. Hopefully it is not a bait and switch as a prelude to an invasion of Taiwan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Did this come after the Putin interview / statement yesterday?

Yesterday Putin seemed to be rowing back on the nuclear rhetoric by blaming the nuclear talk on crazy Liz Truss whilst on the other hand claiming "The West" was finished and suggesting that he will lead a new world order

If this Xi statement came after Putin's then it really is a huge public slapdown for Putin

• Like 1

Â