Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

1 hour ago, Tayls said:

Would be a little unfair to Ukraine who have been looking to join for 15 years or so though! 

Yup. We failed Ukraine, let's not make the same mistake with other, would-be allies.

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

What happens if Russia start to struggle and threaten Ukraine with a 'big' bomb. What will Nato do then??

Apparently you are in a cyber war with Russia now :)

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Cizzler said:

It took the combined USA and U.K. forces well over a month to take Iraq. There's literally no way Putin thought it would be over already.

Also the protests were by a few thousand people out of a population of 144 million. 

I imagine it's going pretty much as he expected.

How many more would be out there if they knew they wouldn't be taken to the Gulags?

7 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I wonder (as a complete amateur) if the heart of the Russian military is fully in this war?

When I woke up this morning, that was the first thing in my head. I mean it used to be said that “Putin pretends to tell the truth and Russians pretend to believe him”, but Putin is no longer pretending and many Russians have followed suit. So while some of the Armed Forces will follow their command, the thing with many of them will be a kind of “what on earth am I doing here?”.

There were tales a couple of days ago of a whole unit “surrendering”, saying “we thought we were here for reconnaissance, to see what was going on, not for attacking our neighbours”  could be social media fakery, but yeah, plenty must know what they’re doing is wrong and be torn over it.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, blandy said:

When I woke up this morning, that was the first thing in my head. I mean it used to be said that “Putin pretends to tell the truth and Russians pretend to believe him”, but Putin is no longer pretending and many Russians have followed suit. So while some of the Armed Forces will follow their command, the thing with many of them will be a kind of “what on earth am I doing here?”.

There were tales a couple of days ago of a whole unit “surrendering”, saying “we thought we were here for reconnaissance, to see what was going on, not for attacking our neighbours”  could be social media fakery, but yeah, plenty must know what they’re doing is wrong and be torn over it.

Stuff like this:

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, blandy said:

It’s becoming harder for dictators and psychopaths to pull the wool over peoples eyes on matters like this, one of the few real benefits of social media, so Putin can keep banging on about neo-naziism and the security of Russia but anyone with an internet connection and a curiosity can easily fact check it all.

I don’t think it’s going to plan for Putin at all, i raised it yesterday and the more I watch the news the more convinced I am that he thought the majority of Ukrainians would lay down their arms and welcome the advancing Russian forces as liberators, when in fact the exact opposite appears to be true.

Russia’s allies are beginning to fall away slowly, China abstained from the UN vote, Kazakhstan have apparently refused to join in the attack, protests on the Russian streets by its own people despite them knowing full well it would end in them being arrested/beaten.

This war is shaping up to be Putin’s true legacy and at this rate it could easily set Russia back three decades or more.

• Like 3

I was shocked there were rumours of ceasefire talks last night, I was wondering why Russia was entertaining the idea so soon. As is being alluded to, is it not going go plan?

I am sure that Russia with its resources it’s just a matter of time before they take over but maybe they didn’t expect the type of resistance (and lack of desire from their own soldiers) they’re getting.

24 minutes ago, blandy said:

The Russian people are gaining no advantage in waging war over in Ukraine, only Putin is.

I see Oleksandr Usyk is now on the front lines along with the Klitschko brothers.

Whilst their lives are not necessarily worth more than any other Ukrainian soldier it will be incredibly bad press for Russia if one or more of them perish.

Knowing specific people like this involved adds a slightly different dimension, I don’t know why exactly but it does, and all three are very well respected and regarded globally.

3 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I see Oleksandr Usyk is now on the front lines along with the Klitschko brothers.

Whilst their lives are not necessarily worth more than any other Ukrainian soldier it will be incredibly bad press for Russia if one or more of them perish.

Knowing specific people like this involved adds a slightly different dimension, I don’t know why exactly but it does, and all three are very well respected and regarded globally.

It just goes to show the heart the Ukrainian people. They could sit it out in the UK or Dubai or the USA but they are leading by example. They won’t be bullied. They will fight.

• Like 2

Â