Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

23 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Sorry, I can't respond on that. You've asked a question then ended it with "no?" so all my senses have shut down due to the incandescent rage burning within me. 

hahaha fair play. I kinda read it from a french student voice character in my head which I find a bit amusing at times XD

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

4 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

What about the sooner-to-be-happening WC qualifiers (priorities right)? Obviously won't take place in Moscow but will they play Russia at all? The Poland match will be extra spicy if they do!

The 3 FAs said they wont play Russia which going by FIFA logic will probably allow Russia to qualify 

They have history of this as USSR didn't want to play a playoff in Chile as the stadium was used for executions by Pinochet so they were disqualified and Chile went through

• Shocked 1

8 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

An echo chamber is the worst thing that can happen to a person online. I have my political views, we all do, but I’m also sensible enough to follow plenty of people with whom I disagree with. 

Everything these days is so black and white and polarised. It doesn’t have to be this way. I may disagree wholeheartedly with something someone says, but that person might say something I totally agree with the day after. 

We’ve created this us against them, with me or against me culture where you either love somebody or hate them. 

Social media is so poisonous to be honest.

completely agree with this. social media is generally poison, but it at least offers a good platform for spreading news of atrocities in times of actual conflict like right now.

Edited by osmark86

CNN reporting that in a day, Ukrainian forces have taken out 800 Russian soldiers. 30 Russian tanks, 6 helicopters and 7 fighter aircraft.

How much death does Russia have to suffer before they start thinking that they need to stop? It's already above Chechnya.

The Ukrainian Defense Ministry says its armed forces have inflicted some 800 casualties on Russian forces since the invasion began in the early hours of Thursday.

It was not immediately clear whether the ministry was referring solely to the number killed.

The ministry said more than 30 Russian tanks had been destroyed, as well as seven Russian aircraft and six helicopters.

Edited by magnkarl

6 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

There’s a term I hear for this and I think it works well. Footballisation. It’s when you support your “team” no matter what. In this case your team is Tories, Labour, Brexit, anti-Brexit, etc. What this leads to is unwavering support no matter what. And in politics being able to change your mind is one of the most important and fundamental things you can do. 

That’s the biggest problem with religion imo. A devout person will not waiver from their beliefs, for better or worse.

3 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

That’s the biggest problem with religion imo. A devout person will not waiver from their beliefs, for better or worse.

it's not always a bad thing to not waver. I don't waver on my beliefs in human rights for example.

that being said, I totally see your point about religion.

Edited by osmark86

7 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

it's not always a bad thing to not waver. I don't waver on my beliefs in human rights for example.

that being said, I totally see your point about religion.

Being inflexible on any matter is not a good position to take, every situation should be judged on its own merits and not on some predetermined view.

17 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

CNN reporting that in a day, Ukrainian forces have taken out 800 Russian soldiers. 30 Russian tanks, 7 helicopters and 6 fighter aircraft.

How much death does Russia have to suffer before they start thinking that they need to stop? It's already above Chechnya.

Hard to see that as anything other than 'we won't stop until we've changed the government' IMO.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Being inflexible on any matter is not a good position to take, every situation should be judged on its own merits and not on some predetermined view.

Disagree, Aston Villa are by far the greatest team the world has ever seen and I will not waiver from that position 😉😂

7 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

there are extreme cases, but the likelihood of me personally having to challenge my view that all people have a fundamental right to shelter and food seems unlikely to me. I do agree though that always thinking critically about ones beliefs and actions is paramount.

this might be dangerously close to striking Godwin's law...

Edited by osmark86

4 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

there are extreme cases, but the likelihood of me personally having to challenge my view that all people have a fundamental right to shelter and food seems unlikely to me. I do agree though that always thinking critically about ones beliefs and actions is paramount.

this might be dangerously close to striking Godwin's law...

It’s not about changing your views or beliefs. It’s about challenging them from time to time. I agree with you on human rights, but the fact you have thought about it and come to the same view is positive. 
We all need to challenge our view from time to time and who better to do that with is someone with a alternative or opposite view point. 

• Like 1

Reuters reporting that the Russians in Northern Kiev are spetznas, Ukranian forces holding them in urban combat. The rapid response battallions that defeated the same special forces at the airport yesterday are likely to also be fighting them now. Putin is risking a lot of his best soldiers on this. 

Ukrainians also claiming they've shot down a SU-35, Russias most advanced fighter. USA's AA over Kiev doing work.

(From CNN TV)

Edited by magnkarl

Â