Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

4 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

A boring hobby horse of mine that will never ever happen anyway is that 'oratory' shouldn't be allowed in the House of Commons, and that debates should just be clear statements of what people actually propose doing. He got into this muddle because he's off in full flow giving it the righteous preacher man stuff, as he is wont to do. If he'd instead just been saying 'here is what should happen: A, B and C' in plain English it would have been better for everyone.

Way too many people in the Commons who treat it all as halfway between theatre and sermon.

Yes but no. I get it, the rational, technocratic, this is what the data says approach to government. But that’s not what animates and inspires others to do great stuff. 

Churchill: “we shall fight them on the beaches, but there’s a 96% chance we’ll all be dead by the end of the week.”

The problem isn’t the oratory, it’s the calibre of the people delivering it. But that’s an issue for another thread, I think. 

• Like 2

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

17 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

How insecure about your own masculinity do you have to be to post that sort of shit? And even if there was an ounce of truth to it. Why would you try and mock people trying to make the world a better place for others. 

Your final sentence is spot on.

Yeah but come on, how can you deny it's funny when it has THIRTEEN cry-laughing emojis. You just don't like the truth, do you? SNOWFLAKE.

• Haha 4

Watching Fox New (to get the fair and balanced side of things) and so far it is actually being reasonable, and shock horror, not just blaming Biden. 

So, you know, there's always an upside.

(Although Carlson has not started yet and he's a paid up Kremlin stooge.)

6 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Maybe CNN have the military equivalent of that pair of transfer clearings in the woods on Sky Sports?

Good point. 

Speaking of which, have we had Gabby Agbonlahor's take on this? He must have some amusing story about how he took a private jet to Moscow and got absolutely bladdered with Putin on Vodka during our relegation season and Putin admitted to him he was biding his time to reinstate the USSR. 

11 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Maybe CNN have the military equivalent of that pair of transfer clearings in the woods on Sky Sports?

There was a weblink I stumbled across earlier with some live Russian aircraft chatter to ground control on it ( and another one with lots of beeps and coded shit )  … possibly CNN saw the same weblink but they managed to rustle up someone that could actually understand Russian to listen to it  … but that said i very much doubt Russia are openly chatting about their plans on VHF or UVB 86 :)

Edited by tonyh29

18 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Good point. 

Speaking of which, have we had Gabby Agbonlahor's take on this? He must have some amusing story about how he took a private jet to Moscow and got absolutely bladdered with Putin on Vodka during our relegation season and Putin admitted to him he was biding his time to reinstate the USSR. 

I dont think Gabby could spell the USSR 

56 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

It's really interesting how the right is so divided on this topic across the Atlantic. The Conservatives might have their dodgy donations, but rhetorically they've been turning up the pressure for months (too much so, IMO, but whatever). By contrast, there are tons of Republican politicians and media figures who are either struggling to contain their admiration for Putin, or cynically faking it, presumably because Trump and Tucker Carlson are kings and they want to appeal to them.

Trump's own comments on this the day before the invasion were fascinating:

FMOvqpyWQAQmOLv?format=jpg&name=4096x409

FMOvr3uXEAEnXzx?format=jpg&name=4096x409

He really has this incredible knack of saying exactly what you expect him to say but still being surprising at the same time. And no-one can imitate the style of his speaking; 'No, it's very sad. Very sad.'

• Confused 1

Â