Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

The global chip shortage extends to all computer chips, not just cars (it's why the latest game consoles are still hard to find a year after release, for example) and has a few factors, which does include weather factors but it's not the main driver of the problem.

The bigger issues are unprecedented levels of demand, Covid causing enormous production capacity issues and the US/China trade war causing trading problems.

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

2 hours ago, Awol said:

So after Putin’s cameo as Blofeld in that televised national security council meeting… it looks like the route is to recognize Luhansk and Donetsk as independent states, Russian troops will then be invited in to provide security (lol) and occupy those parts of the regions still under Ukrainian control. They clash with the Ukrainian army at the line of contact (in red on map) and Putin has his casus belli to invade the remainder of Ukraine.

You were right. 

The Kremlin says President Putin has decided to recognise the independence of two breakaway areas of Ukraine controlled by Russian-backed separatists.

A Kremlin statement said Putin had told the French and German leaders he intended to sign a decree recognising the Donetsk and Luhansk areas as independent states.

BBC

One thing that sticks out about the security council meeting, when thinking back on it, is the comparison to the 2008 Russo-Georgian war, as in:

It's an interesting comparison. The positive one might take from that is that Russia did not annex the entirety of Georgia, but the probably more significant negative is that both breakaway provinces are unlikely to ever return to Georgian control, and that in their counter-attack, the Russians made sure to make it very clear they could have taken the capital if they wanted, including taking their forces pretty close to the capital and bombing some targets around the capital (eg airport, pipelines etc).

One huge and obvious difference is that Ukraine is both massively larger than Georgia, and that the disputed provinces are much further from the capital. Big question, then, is if this comparison is not predictive of how the war will pan out, or if Russia is going to make the massively larger military commitment to attack deep into Ukraine proper to make clear they could take it if they wanted.

20 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

One huge and obvious difference is that Ukraine is both massively larger than Georgia, and that the disputed provinces are much further from the capital. Big question, then, is if this comparison is not predictive of how the war will pan out, or if Russia is going to make the massively larger military commitment to attack deep into Ukraine proper to make clear they could take it if they wanted.

He doesn’t recognize Ukraine as being a proper country or legitimately existing separately from Russia. Most likely I think he’s going to play for all the marbles and reincorporation of Ukraine into the fold. Like in Belarus, they’ll be a Kremlin puppet leader but no question about who pulls the strings. 55 million Europeans back under the Russian boot, you’d have got good odds against that 10 years ago.

Useful map showing the electoral distribution in 2010, the last proper nationwide election before the 2014 revolution. That’s not an unthinkable end state if Putin is goes for something less than taking the whole country over.

6FD0C1C6-F5A6-492C-8D6F-D570AC307E14.jpeg

21 minutes ago, sidcow said:

In absolute seriousness does anyone think Putin is going a bit nuts?

If he is going a bit mentally unstable who the hell in the regime is going to stop him?

You do think this is all looking a bit 1939 here. Mentally unstable despot claiming lands of his neighbours because there happen to be people there who speak the same language or because he has a historic right to them.

I don’t think anyone would argue the world was wrong to go to war in 1939 to stop Hitler. How much land are we willing to let him take before we have to take action?

His language today about some of the other former soviet republics of Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania are very concerning. It doesn’t sound like he plans to stop at Ukraine. 

I don’t think Xi is going to be too pleased with this. China has said they don’t want war. Putin has gone mad.

Time to arm Ukraine so well that Russia will bleed to death if they do invade. The only way Putin goes away is if he loses his army and support.

Time for somebody at the KGB or whatever its called these days to slip a bit of polonium into his food to reign in the monster methinks. 

I've not seen his news conference but from reports I've seen some of his ministers were not too enthusiastic looking. 

9 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Time for somebody at the KGB or whatever its called these days to slip a bit of polonium into his food to reign in the monster methinks. 

I've not seen his news conference but from reports I've seen some of his ministers were not too enthusiastic looking. 

The head of the SVR (successor to the KGB) looked like he was filling his pants as Putin harangued him. They all did really. Some time ago Putin banned criticism of Stalin and also started talking up the pre-Bolshevik Russian Empire. I think he genuinely sees himself as a new Tsar, and more importantly the blokes around him are behaving like he is. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bickster said:

It's all down to a particular control chip used in cars, there is a global shortage and it's nothing to do with China

1/3rd of these chips used in cars worldwide are made in one Factory in Japan, it had a huge fire

In the US, Samsung and others have manufacturing facilities in Texas. there was a huge storm last winter than knocked out those facilities for a while

Taiwan, suffered a big drought and they need lots of water on the manufacturing process

That's what has caused the new car shortage, not even COVID related (COVID did have an effect but not as much as the above)

Fun fact: The US semiconductor industry imports 90% of its high-grade neon supplies from Ukraine. Oops. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Genie said:

I learned the other day that a high end Range Rover has over 5,000 semi-conductors in it. Goes to show why the automotive industry is hit so hard by the global shortages.

8500 in  a new Mercedes S Class

I had a diesel GLC (company car), as I couldn't can't get a EQC Electric Mercedes till at least December, due to parts shortage 😲

• Shocked 1

3 hours ago, Chindie said:

The global chip shortage extends to all computer chips, not just cars (it's why the latest game consoles are still hard to find a year after release, for example) and has a few factors, which does include weather factors but it's not the main driver of the problem.

The bigger issues are unprecedented levels of demand, Covid causing enormous production capacity issues and the US/China trade war causing trading problems.

Yup. 9 month - 12 month wait on kitchen appliances over here. It's crippling the US new housing market they just can't build anything, let alone build fast enough for peoples needs. Existing home prices are going through the roof (25% year on year) It's unsustainable.

Â