Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

2 hours ago, Genie said:

Russia pulling some troops back from the border according to their defence minister. 

Yeeeeeeeeaaah course. Putin deployed more than half of his regular army 1000's of miles across Russia, provoked Ukraine into an even more determined position on joining the EU and NATO, but now he's slinking off again having achieved nothing?  

Colour me a nice shade of maskirovka.

Edit: to make the point more clearly, a map of where Putin’s forces have deployed from within Russia:

EB937C78-D72D-41B3-9ADB-EFBA5ECF7FF5.jpeg

Edited by Awol

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

25 minutes ago, Awol said:

Yeeeeeeeeaaah course. Putin deployed more than half of his regular army 1000's of miles across Russia, provoked Ukraine into an even more determined position on joining the EU and NATO, but now he's slinking off again having achieved nothing?  

Colour me a nice shade of maskirovka.

Edit: to make the point more clearly, a map of where Putin’s forces have deployed from within Russia:

EB937C78-D72D-41B3-9ADB-EFBA5ECF7FF5.jpeg

I thought that Ukraine had softened its desire to join NATO which is what Putin wanted? 

1 minute ago, Genie said:

I thought that Ukraine had softened its desire to join NATO which is what Putin wanted? 

No, that was some freelancing by the Ukrainian Ambo in London, immediately disavowed by Kiev. Joining NATO is in the Ukrainian Constitution, whether NATO lets that happen or not in the future is another question, but there's plenty in Europe who would likely veto it - Hungary, Germany and France at minimum. 

Russia has built a bridge over the river Pripjat, just north of Ukraine in the Chernobyl exclusion zone in Belarus. It's not a place where one trains, so it's a really aggressive move. Still, I can't see Putin risking his reign in Russia by getting bogged down by the 100-200k regular Ukrainian army, and 400k veteran pool in Ukraine. He'll lose thousands of soldiers fighting an offensive war against a Slavic nation which most Russians consider brethren. It'll be a new more deadly Afghanistan with urban fighting against a well dug in, well supplied opponent. 

Russia can't and won't use long range artillery as it'll be broadcast across Europe when civilians die, he won't use cruise missiles as these are likely to have a % missfire and likely end up in a NATO country. 

The analysis above that he wants back in with the big boys internationally is probably a good one. Is he willing to risk all gas exports to Europe, most of his assets and to be excluded from the SWIFT system? Probably not.

China will probably also do all they can to stop Putin as it'll hurt their economies if the West starts a war.

Edited by magnkarl

1 hour ago, magnkarl said:

Russia has built a bridge over the river Pripjat, just north of Ukraine in the Chernobyl exclusion zone in Belarus. It's not a place where one trains, so it's a really aggressive move. Still, I can't see Putin risking his reign in Russia by getting bogged down by the 100-200k regular Ukrainian army, and 400k veteran pool in Ukraine. He'll lose thousands of soldiers fighting an offensive war against a Slavic nation which most Russians consider brethren. It'll be a new more deadly Afghanistan with urban fighting against a well dug in, well supplied opponent. 

Russia can't and won't use long range artillery as it'll be broadcast across Europe when civilians die, he won't use cruise missiles as these are likely to have a % missfire and likely end up in a NATO country. 

The analysis above that he wants back in with the big boys internationally is probably a good one. Is he willing to risk all gas exports to Europe, most of his assets and to be excluded from the SWIFT system? Probably not.

China will probably also do all they can to stop Putin as it'll hurt their economies if the West starts a war.

They're a permenant member of the security council and one of the few nuclear armed states. Until they started poisoning people and invading their neighbours they were members of the G8 (now G7). Not sure how much more "in with the big boys" he wants to be tbh.

What he wants is to maintain a buffer state between Russia and NATO countries. It's purely a strategic military aim, nothing more. On one hand it's inarguable that the Russians are in the wrong by (potentially) invading a sovereign neighbour and destroying that countries right to self determination. On the other hand, is it worse than what the US did in the last century to Cuba or to Vietnam to try and prevent those countries aligning to the USSR?

16 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

They're a permenant member of the security council and one of the few nuclear armed states. Until they started poisoning people and invading their neighbours they were members of the G8 (now G7). Not sure how much more "in with the big boys" he wants to be tbh.

What he wants is to maintain a buffer state between Russia and NATO countries. It's purely a strategic military aim, nothing more. On one hand it's inarguable that the Russians are in the wrong by (potentially) invading a sovereign neighbour and destroying that countries right to self determination. On the other hand, is it worse than what the US did in the last century to Cuba or to Vietnam to try and prevent those countries aligning to the USSR?

Or what the USSR did to the whole of Eastern Europe? Russia is not at all in the clear here. They’re a dictatorship which is constantly invading, poisoning and ruining its neighbours. Georgia, Ukraine, Belarus, Afghanistan, Syria… Have people forgotten what Putin did to Georgia?

The US and NATO are at least mostly democratic. Their members generally voted on joining. What Russia is doing is quite Hitler-like tbh.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Or what the USSR did to the whole of Eastern Europe? Russia is not at all in the clear here. They’re a dictatorship which is constantly invading, poisoning and ruining its neighbours. Georgia, Ukraine, Belarus, Afghanistan, Syria… Have people forgotten what Putin did to Georgia?

The US and NATO are at least mostly democratic. Their members generally voted on joining. What Russia is doing is quite Hitler-like tbh.

Oh I know I'm not one of these ultra left wing Corbyn-y fellows that's hating on the US. It's just mildly amusing that when the US was faced with the prospect of heavy weapons in Cuba all of a sudden it was the end of the world. Hypocrisy.

Russia are clearly a dictatorship and a massive kleptocracy. Regarding the Hitler comparison, I can definitely see that's the case but also in a much worse Munich-y sense where all the major powers are basically having talks behind the Ukrainians back and deciding how far they'll allow Russia to go before "Incursion" becomes "Invasion", essentially carving up the country.

19 minutes ago, Genie said:

If Russia invaded and then occupied Ukraine wouldn’t it then be next door to the Eastern European NATO members?

It’s a strange move to make when you want to maintain distance to NATO members. 

They surely won't be planning to annex Ukraine. Just setup a friendly puppet state.

Make of it what you will amongst the countless chatter and claims but my mate works in a role for one of the major US defence contractors all be it he’s involved in the civil aviation side of it , he just messaged me “Lots of internal meetings about how we turn off our service to Russian airlines this weekend. Someone in the US thinks it's going down this weekend “

He’s always a bit vague about what his role is but I believe he is talking about the GPS systems the airlines use but don’t quote  me on that .. Guess it could be as part of a sanctions package , don’t think there is any military implication in this system  

Â