17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

6 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

In relation to away goals being an advantage, your example is no different to us currently being 1-0 up.

The only time that away goals will give you an advantage is when both the home and away team scored in that game. Ie: If we had drawn 1-1 at Boro then a 0-0 at Villa Park would have seen us through. Or if we’d won 2-1 then Boro getting a 1-0 at VP would still see us through. Your 2-0 example is no different to where we currently are (in relation to away goals being an advantage, 

Its not really important though so wee dont need to continue this =)

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

We will need to spend £200m to get a squad that can compete with Palace. If we go up, we're in for a very tough season. 

Not necessarily, Brighton, Huddersfield and Newcastle have all competed well enough (with the likes of Palace). 

The question I guess rests on how much stronger you feel / felt their squads were upon winning their promotions. 

Not that I am presuming anything, just preparing should it happen, having never been to Wembley. If in the event of us making it to the final, what is the process of obtaining tickets so that a group of season ticket holders can ensure they sit together? ,,,and what if you have another member of your party who would probably only be able to obtain a ticket at a later date being having only a few booking history?

4 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

We will need to spend £200m to get a squad that can compete with Palace. If we go up, we're in for a very tough season. 

While I'd agree we'd be in for a tough season, I haven't seen anything outside of the top 6/7 PL clubs this season to suggest we - or Wolves & Cardiff for that matter - can't compete with the rest.

5 minutes ago, MrDuck said:

While I'd agree we'd be in for a tough season, I haven't seen anything outside of the top 6/7 PL clubs this season to suggest we - or Wolves & Cardiff for that matter - can't compete with the rest.

Agreed. 

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Not that I am presuming anything, just preparing should it happen, having never been to Wembley. If in the event of us making it to the final, what is the process of obtaining tickets so that a group of season ticket holders can ensure they sit together? ,,,and what if you have another member of your party who would probably only be able to obtain a ticket at a later date being having only a few booking history?

You will have to get all the season ticket numbers together and book together in one booking. Tell them how many are sitting together and they usually can tell you how to sort it. I wouldn't hold much hope of the non season ticket being next to you though. 

1 hour ago, MrDuck said:

I do agree with this. Did huddesfield spend 200m?

I think we need to strengthen but not by that much! That's crazy!!

I think it's barmy that people wouldn't mind us going up. 

Its effects everything! The fan base will become smaller, the youth teams and the academy don't have anywhere near the resources. It will create more jobs in the area too as we will have more money. It affects Birmingham as a whole in my opinion. 

Players like Grealish, O'Hare RHM have haven't been affected but the next generation of youth players might if we stay in the championship.

The premier league is argueably more competitive than ever. It used to only be top 4 teams that mattered. 

Also do you think teams like Burton would prefer to play in the championship or league 1 and win more games? We're in the same situation. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

I think it's barmy that people wouldn't mind us going up. 

Its effects everything! The fan base will become smaller, the youth teams and the academy don't have anywhere near the resources. It will create more jobs in the area too as we will have more money. It affects Birmingham as a whole in my opinion. 

Players like Grealish, O'Hare RHM have haven't been affected but the next generation of youth players might if we stay in the championship.

The premier league is argueably more competitive than ever. It used to only be top 4 teams that mattered. 

Also do you think teams like Burton would prefer to play in the championship or league 1 and win more games? We're in the same situation. 

Exactly. And people think the likes of Chester terry and grealish will want to tick around in this league?

Get real guys we will get worse and worse the longer we stay here. 

• Like 1

You don't achieve greatness by being a big fish in a small pond. As fun as this season has been, I had just as much fun watching Martin O'Neill's sides flirt with the top 4 of the Premier League.

Premier League or bust.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Such mixed emotions. Desperate to go up but what am i desperate for? The prem has now finished, outside the top 7 every other team lost more games than they won and conceded more goals than they scored. Being an average premier league team seems pretty shit to be honest. I do genuinely wonder why i feel so desperate to experience it again. 

I understand where you are coming from but the promised land is where we need to be even suffering defeats. Crowds will go up, there will be a better atmosphere, we will get better global coverage and everything else that comes with the Premiership.

17 hours ago, Xela said:

Premier League is basically top 6, a couple of mid table teams (Everton & Leicester) and the rest (Burnley included) scrapping for survival. 

We need to go up to see wha Xia can do and how much he is prepared to invest. Be interesting to see what Wolves do as well. 

Exactly this. I seem to remember Xia and Wyness stating they plan to build three teams. One the get out of the Championship, one to stay in the Premiership and one the compete at the top of the Premiership.

I want us promoted so i can see this happen. Exciting times lie ahead when we are promoted. The Lion will roar again.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, dounavilla said:

Actually we could lose 1-0 and go through on pens.

well yes, but who in their right mind would ever consider this an option? screw penalties, go for the jugular and win the damn fixture.

6 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

well yes, but who in their right mind would ever consider this an option? screw penalties, go for the jugular and win the damn fixture.

I agree no one wants pens. That would be heart breaking for us if we lost.

18 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

Didn't say I wanted pens. Just pointing out technically we could lose the game but still progress.

I would probably require a pacemaker if it went to pens.

22 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

I've unloaded half of my betting account on an emotional hedge bet on Boro to beat us. It's refreshing to think I could win the bet and we could still progress, but i'd rather have my money disappear very early on.

I've been betting this way for years. Never understood the whole "don't bet against your team" stuff. I'd always take the Villa win over the money, so what's the issue?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MrDuck said:

Outside of the top six/seven it’s one big relegation scrap with teams purely existing to secure their Premier League status. 

As someone pointed out: a decent chunk of games are pretty much lost before a ball is kicked. You’re mostly hoping to just not get thrashed against the top six, or at best to nick a rare draw/win if you’ve caught one of them on a bad day. 

We’ve already experienced what a season upon season struggle against relegation feels like and we’re trying to win the chance to be back there again. It’s a miserable existence. It leaves a club like ours in limbo. We’re too big to be down here but not rich enough to challenge in the Premier League. 

• Like 5