17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

Second place is averaging 1.88 points per game (ppg), and looks like finishing the season on 87 points.

Villa would need another 43 points from 20 games to finish on 87 points.  
That means we need 2.15 ppg for the rest of the season. 

We have currently been averaging 1.69 ppg. 

It doesn't look good honestly when you look at the numbers.

We need a massive improvement for the rest of the season.

I look at this and see us on 1.69 ppg and needing to be on at least 1.88 points per game - not that big a gap. Yes we need to pick up the 5 points but we have a shot at that with all our home games against the top teams. 

4 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I look at this and see us on 1.69 ppg and needing to be on at least 1.88 points per game - not that big a gap. Yes we need to pick up the 5 points but we have a shot at that with all our home games against the top teams. 

Yes, by the end of the season we need to be on 1.88ppg, which means we need 2.15ppg for the rest of the season to achieve that.  

1 hour ago, villa82 said:

Realistically we should bee very happy with 2 points per game for the rest of the season. If Derby then beat us we can't blame the second part of the season. Beat Derby at home, and that might tip it our way.

4 wins and a draw in the next five games is not realistic. We are huge favorites in two games (Barnsley and Burton), small favourites vs small heat, underdogs vs SheffU and equal vs NottForest. That are realistically 10 points from the five games. Depending on other results, that can bee ok. More than 10 points are very good (but not if we don't win against "them")

I'd take 4 wins and a defeat to them to be honest. 

I know many wouldn't agree. 

27 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Yes, by the end of the season we need to be on 1.88ppg, which means we need 2.15ppg for the rest of the season to achieve that.  

What if we take our first 3 games? Our season started against Norwich for me. Before that we looked a complete shambles. 

Edit :Makes us on 1.86 ppg.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

10 minutes ago, Jareth said:

WHAT IF - Wolves went and blew FFP and found themselves stripped of promotion - this is actually possible now with the rules. 3rd place gets promotion!

Wolves, know they are going up and are preparing accordingly, but its interesting the type of technically gifted players they go for.

we spend 21mill on Darren Bent.....I know its some time ago, but that is the difference in judgement, that has us where we are.

Nuno clearly knows these players, as he has not scored in 12 games for Mlan.....so its a fair ole lump.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jareth said:

WHAT IF - Wolves went and blew FFP and found themselves stripped of promotion - this is actually possible now with the rules. 3rd place gets promotion!

Can someone please explain WTF Has happened to FFP?

6 minutes ago, Kingman said:

I don’t think FFP comes into it if you go from the championship to the premier league. Different rules I think.

Say if wolves spent £50m this transfer window and didn’t go up, that would be a disaster for them. But as they’re guaranteed promotion, it doesn’t matter. They’ve basically gambled and it’s paid off.

I think that’s the case anyway. I also think that if they got relegated from the premier league next season, they would be in a world of shit. Again, I think that’s the case.

We’ve got a bit of luck. We play Sheff Utd a few days after their cup game and we’ll have had a 10 day break. Now let’s win the next 4 and then going out the cup so disgracefully May have a silver lining. 

33 minutes ago, Jareth said:

They’ll be promoted before these accounts are looked at. They’re building for the Premier League and signing players now is brilliant as long as they go up. 

5 hours ago, omariqy said:

You got your wish, we are playing them 3 days later on the 30th.

Thats great news helps us later on the season. Last thing we need a tricky game squashed between a game vs wolves for example.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Wolves, know they are going up and are preparing accordingly, but its interesting the type of technically gifted players they go for.

we spend 21mill on Darren Bent.....I know its some time ago, but that is the difference in judgement, that has us where we are.

Nuno clearly knows these players, as he has not scored in 12 games for Mlan.....so its a fair ole lump.

Milan are a total **** mess at the moment though, playing very very badly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, romavillan said:

Milan are a total **** mess at the moment though, playing very very badly.

oh, ok....thanks for the info

Edited by TRO

3 hours ago, Kingman said:

I understand what it is but not sure how it works and what affect it has on an on going basis.

If we stay down, is it like Japanese Knotwood, you never get free of it? .....Unless you  get promotion.

does it get relaxed or an amnesty of some kind, like bookings.....new season,new slate.

1 hour ago, a m ole said:

would be interesting to see the top 2 at this point in the last 10 seasons compared to the end of the season, and the points differential change.

Newcastle and Brighton were on a lot more points at this stage last season.

I really don't see second getting 90 points. There is no stand out second team in this league.

We should be targeting 10 points from our next 4 so if we can achieve that let's see the state of play then. Derby have some tricky games coming up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jareth said:

I could be wrong, but overspending the rules and the league can and will slap the maximum penalty on. 

Didn’t something similar happen to Bournemouth or QPR a couple of seasons ago?.. 

Hopefully a points deduction will suffice in this day and age. 

Someone tweet the Doc and snitch on the dingles :D

• Like 1