• Kodjia
    • Hogan
    • Bacuna (Kodjia 82)
    • Adomah (Hogan 84)
    • Green (Lansbury 85)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

We've got to stick with Bruce, anything else would be crazy unless Mourinho wanted to come here. Let's just concentrate on hitting the ground running next August to make sure of it. We have the talent and infrastructure.

Dissapointing as it is, if we are honest, it looked like a two year term in Prison the way we went down. At least we are not going down.......... yet.

• Like 4

Grealish can **** off, two ridiculous yellow cards and cost us the game as we were well on top and looking good to go and win it with 11 each.

Johnstone can **** off, no better than Gollini and gifted them an equaliser when we were going into half time with a comfortable lead.

Bree looked better than Hutton. Hourihane and Bjarnason looked better than Tuesday night. Their keeper made a couple of world class saves. Kodjia scored a great goal and linked up well with Hogan. Chester looked like he was on the sauce again.

Overreactions on here saying we're in a relegation battle, we aren't. We are definitely out of the race for the play offs though. Focus has to be on getting us playing like a team ready to have a proper go at automatic promotion next season. Disappointing to say that in February.

• Like 2

We were decent in patches a bit like our season really ,we need to be better and more consistent ,we are basically out of the play off race so time to build a team for next season find a formation that suits us and find some form and build the confidence back up .Sacking Bruce would be absolutely mental we have tried that and it doesn't work it's one of the reasons we are in the shit the constant chopping and changing .There was positives Hogan looks a player and Hourihane is the type of midfielder we need give him time and he will do the business ,we are not ready for the Premier League will only go backwards by going up with a bit of patience from us all we will be a lot better side this time next season .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, leemond2008 said:

It's funny I haven't been pissed off with a villa performance for nearly 2 years, I think wembley against arsenal was tte last time I was upset by a result or performance. 

Today though I was **** livid...For all of about 5 minutes and now I'm back to not giving a shit.

I wish I could care but I just don't, it'll take something special to turn me around and get my interest back.

I was like this til the Doc came in.  He gave me hope which I wish I didn't have to be honest.  Absolutely sick of it. 

You expect a transfer window to have an effect in a week, this is real life not a video game !! It takes time to build a team, unless the fans can see this progress will never happen.

• Like 3

I'd be devestated if we sacked another manager at this point. Steve Bruce is the most qualified for the job. We just need time. I admit we are terrible but have you guys ever gone into a job and tried to change mindsets of your staff. It's difficult but if we stick with it we might get a pay off. Instead we seem to sack manager after manager before they have had chance to fully implement their style and structure. We must keep believing!

• Like 1

Its the club thats the problem.

It cant be the personnel; there's been too many changes of team, tactics, manager, players etc that it must must run far deeper than that.

Ive just read someone say sack Bruce because he's got a sh*t away record. They've ALL had sh*t away records!

• Like 1

The season is  a write off and a gigantic cock up by Villa. Again. However I will be satisfied if I see signs that the team is coming together and we start to win some away games before May. Then I will be a lot more confident about our chances next season. If not then we are shafted for years to come.

• Like 2

I said to a mate a couple of weeks ago that i actually would prefer us to stay here for another season. Get this team playing together and get a shape and style. we need to have a full season of being a proper force in this league, get rid of this loser mentality the whole club seems to have still. 

What does this club have to do! Like many others have said on here we have changed literally everything and still no real signs of improvement. I know these things take time but i would expect it would be a tad better than this....

9 hours ago, TRO said:

Its not a new manager we need......its a priest.:)

Send him my way.

After watching that game, my head is still spinning and I am bathing in wall to wall vomit.

Now what did I do with that crucifix? Ow. There it is.

12 hours ago, troon_villan said:

Very disappointed so far in Hourihane.  Seems very nervous and unsure.  180 minutes and still not sure what his role is in this team. 

Well thats a massive shock! 2 games and he hasn't settled down?

behave!

In the cold light of day we have to stick with Bruce. We are already pretty much of a joke club in areas of the media and sacking yet another manager hardly helps in building the image of the club and attracting both the right players and commercial sponsorship. Added to that the pool of managers wanting to take on the Aston Villa poisoned chalice will diminish still further.

We now have a decent squad of players so it's Bruce's job to get the best out of them which all the empirical evidence says he can. Am I worried? Yes of course I am but we now have accept the playoffs are gone, we won't go down even after shockers like yesterday but the reality is we are miles off being a PL side, as are probably the likes of Newcastle and Brighton, and TBH another season in this league is good to build a decent squad with the tools to go up next season.

If we are still putting in performances like yesterday next season then is the time to chance manager.

10 hours ago, turvontour said:

Its the club thats the problem.  

You may have a point there

It cant be the personnel; there's been too many changes of team, tactics, manager, players etc that it must must run far deeper than that.  

possible

Ive just read someone say sack Bruce because he's got a sh*t away record. They've ALL had sh*t away records!

......and what happened to all those with a sh.. away record?

They got sacked

I watched that game yesterday with the same stomach churning concerns as every other fan.

I can only speculate, because I have no concrete idea how we have landed in this Dark and dismal place

We have/had Many managers who have experience in the game churning out tepid performances and woeful results like this.

• We have changed players by the bucket load.....players that other clubs are disappointed they have gone
  • We have a new owner.......With a sharp brain and enviable amounts of money spent in support.
  • We have oodles of managers with experience of this league presiding over similar problems.
  • We have had new coaches from clubs that did not want to release them

right now the sensible shout is that these players need to be blended in and we need our one and only dedicated defensive midfielder back fit.

I know and we all know confidence plays a big part in this game and i think that it manifests itself in thresholds.....  a couple of defeats and the confidence slips, but is fairly easily returned.......6 or 7 defeats on the trot wacks the confidence and a more concerted effort is required to get that confidence back.

Then you get us.....we have landed at the bottom of the Mariana Trench......this is going be a long one boys, I'm sorry to say.

Our confidence has drained beyond belief and the new players coming in ( prior to Bruces influx, but maybe them soon) have just seemed to adopt it.

Whether Steve Bruce is the one or whether some other manager comes in at some stage....its going to be a long road back, such is the damage that has been done.

Yesterday amongst lots of things ......I saw a bunch of players who are lacking in physical & mental determination.....I saw very few players who can win an aerial ball.....I saw very few players who ride tackles in the manner Eden Hazard did on that great run( He is a technically gifted player for god sake, if anyone is entitled to fall over he is. No he rode that tackle with determination/ grit  we can only dream of, like a wildebeest shaking off a hungry Lion)

We are a sorry looking outfit right now and without getting too down avoiding relegation should be our first concern and then building momentum to give us a chance next season.

I think the amount of changes whilst necessary are now an open wound, we need to heal and get back some stability, confidence and cohesion, the manager needs to galvanise us.

I can only speculate like the next man, If I knew who was to blame i would say so, but what use is blame.

I look Individually at the new guys

• Scott Hogan looks at first glance like an intelligent player that will be good for us
  • James Bree looks ok 
  • Henri Lansbury, I'm fine with, but will benefit from Jedi's return
  • Conor Hourihane looks like a fish out of water and may take time.....like Ken McNaught did
  • Birkir Bjarnason....was bettter yesterday, but needs games to judge properly.....hasn't settled yet like Conor
  • Johnstone.....worries me because against Spurs he looked Dynamite.

I think our problems are of a team nature that is affecting every individual, sounds a bit of a paradox I know.

Final Note.....Do I think Steve Bruce will do it?

YES.................. but not as quick as I first thought.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, TRO said:

Our confidence has drained beyond belief and the new players coming in ( prior to Bruces influx, but maybe them soon) have just seemed to adopt it.  

@TRO you make a lot of points, like many of us all do, some wild & wacky to some, some oerfectly logical to others.

But, you cant build a house on sand.

I said at the  eginning of the season. Out with the lot, those who stay will only infect the bew ones who come in.

Get rid, pay off, give away. what ever it takes.

We needed over 100mill spent & 25 new players.

Why

because the point you've made above is the sand we are trying to build a house on.

Every manager from RDM onwards through SB and the next one will NOT get us progressing untill

1) All the shit has left without a trace

2) a line can be drawn from scratch

3) a "modern-style" manager comes in with the intent of taking the game to the opponent for 3 pts and to hammer home a goal difference tally.

The next step should be

Bruce out and his staff.

SJ, Bunn, Hutton, Richards, Bacuna, Gardner, Gaby, Kozak and all the loan players (Gil, Sanchez....etc) ALL out, Sold, paid off, given away, whatever it takes

Untill this is done we will go nowhere.

Then look for a manager.

I know it sounds wacky, radical or whatever.

But Its the ONLY solution

I stopped going to matches a couple of years back after suffering Lamebert's horrendous football, now I care a lot less but still enough to be pissed off when an unknown player scores his first ever goal against us, as usual, in the 93rd minute (correct me if I'm wrong on that as I turned the stream off as soon as the goal went in and haven't even checked since).

Not sure what is wrong at B6 but it's very annoying that a team of (what seem tobe) half decent players still can't win a **** game.

33 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

@TRO you make a lot of points, like many of us all do, some wild & wacky to some, some oerfectly logical to others.

But, you cant build a house on sand.

I said at the  eginning of the season. Out with the lot, those who stay will only infect the bew ones who come in.

Get rid, pay off, give away. what ever it takes.

We needed over 100mill spent & 25 new players.

Why

because the point you've made above is the sand we are trying to build a house on.

Every manager from RDM onwards through SB and the next one will NOT get us progressing untill

1) All the shit has left without a trace

2) a line can be drawn from scratch

3) a "modern-style" manager comes in with the intent of taking the game to the opponent for 3 pts and to hammer home a goal difference tally.

The next step should be

Bruce out and his staff.

SJ, Bunn, Hutton, Richards, Bacuna, Gardner, Gaby, Kozak and all the loan players (Gil, Sanchez....etc) ALL out, Sold, paid off, given away, whatever it takes

Untill this is done we will go nowhere.

Then look for a manager.

I know it sounds wacky, radical or whatever.

But Its the ONLY solution

A clear out on that scale wont happen, but im more on board with that sentiment than to just hope things improve. The go again mentality.

I just keep coming back to Alan Hutton and away games for some reason (i appreciate he didnt play yesterday, could prob use Bacuna, just Hutton seems more amusing). If you're Hutton, and you've been on 76 away coach journeys (38 games, so there and back) and youve won two of those games, surely your beyond giving a hoot how you or the team perform, within reason. It really worries me for the new players who mix with them and will with time adopt a similar mentality. I said before the Brentford game that the players in the line up are largely immaterial at present while the team collectively is so broken. Westwood or Lansbury. Mccormack or Rhodes. Doesnt matter.

I really cant fathom a solution to it though which is frustrating, but then its not my job/responsibilty to do so.

• Like 1

Â