Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

I am irritated that somehow we have spent 30+ mil on strikers and only one of those has done well (Kodjia)

Hogan has scored some decent goals though and had some decent form for us, not enough granted but people on here seem to be treating him like he is the new Bosko Balaban. Get a grip people.

• Like 3

Name one thing Hogan is good at. Because I can't.

It's one thing being out of form, but even with out of form players you can usually gauge their quality. Kodjia for example is not exactly in form. But if somebody was watching him for the first time they could tell that he has something about him. Can't say the same for Scott. There's nothing there.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

It's one thing being out of form, but even with out of form players you can usually gauge their quality. Kodjia for example is not exactly in form. But if somebody was watching him for the first time they could tell that he has something about him. Can't say the same for Scott. There's nothing there.

Yep. Said it before, pick any stat you like and its abysmal, not just poor but abysmal. 

Goals, assists, touches, headers won, shots per game, passes per game, pass completion etc..

Abysmal. 

"All he needs is service" has been shown to be completely wrong. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, lexicon said:

And what purpose is that supposed to serve exactly? Managers make bad signings from time to time, it happens, get over it and stop obsessing over something that really, really doesn't matter. 

Well that's just plain rude - and quite frankly out of order. This is a forum where all views should be welcome and if you can't see any blame assigned to Bruce re: Hogan's transfer then I'm shocked.

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

He makes decent runs :ph34r:.

No but seriously, he's a bit of a disappointment really.

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

He was for a time, very good at getting in the box and getting on the end of crosses, then Grealish and Adomah got injured...

I don't think anyone thinks he is 'good enough' but saying that he is abysmal and the worst villa striker ever is just horsesh*t.

While he is wearing our colours and isn't exhibiting a poor attitude, i will get behind him, same with any Villa player. I don't think he warrants the hate at all.

We hero worship Snodgrass and rightly so despite his recent p*ss poor form of late but he is not our player and i can't see us playing 12 mil (again) for another player in their 30s, so i'd rather back the players who belong to us even if they still have a lot to prove like Hogan.

Edited by VillanousOne

9 hours ago, TRO said:

Dave, but that does sound like, i can't get him one thing, so i will get him on another.

The manager does have to take responsibility for his signings.....but they all do.

No TRO - I didn't even start this chapter but are you not agreeing with what I have said ?

11 hours ago, Dave J said:

Well that's just plain rude - and quite frankly out of order. This is a forum where all views should be welcome and if you can't see any blame assigned to Bruce re: Hogan's transfer then I'm shocked.

It's a forum, so opinions and views are debated and come under scrutiny and to be fair, now you're talking about something else. Referencing what you originally said, I do not see what purpose Bruce coming out and publicly stating that Hogan was a bad signing will serve. Do you think it'll improve our chances of moving him on? Do you think it will encourage or motivate the player to play better? Or what? 

14 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Since you’re wanting to be facetious about it, I’d say what he is particularly good at is putting a defence under pressure. Often with closing down, often with runs into channels. 

12 hours ago, Dave J said:

if you can't see any blame assigned to Bruce re: Hogan's transfer then I'm shocked.

Has anyone actually said that Bruce has no blame for Hogan's transfer or is this something you've made up?

21 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Since you’re wanting to be facetious about it, I’d say what he is particularly good at is putting a defence under pressure. Often with closing down, often with runs into channels. 

Wasn't even being facetious, I was dead serious.

But you're right, he is good at that. But that is somewhat down the list of attributes I'd want my striker to have, and hardly justifies playing him, let alone outlaying 12m for his services.

59 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Wasn't even being facetious, I was dead serious.

But you're right, he is good at that. But that is somewhat down the list of attributes I'd want my striker to have, and hardly justifies playing him, let alone outlaying 12m for his services.

I’d suggest he was bought for his goal scoring prowess - an attribute of which is his work rate. It’s evident he hasn’t hit the heights that we would have expected here yet.

(Although he’s still scored 6x the amount of goals as Kodjia this season in just about 2.5x the amount of time.)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I’d suggest he was bought for his goal scoring prowess - an attribute of which is his work rate. It’s evident he hasn’t hit the heights that we would have expected here yet.

(Although he’s still scored 6x the amount of goals as Kodjia this season in just about 2.5x the amount of time.)

Does this really mean anything?

Kodjia has had a serious injury and is trying to regain match fitness. 

6 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Does this really mean anything?

Kodjia has had a serious injury and is trying to regain match fitness. 

Fairly sure Hogan has been injured for fairly long periods (obviously not the same length) of time this season too - seem to remember a discussion about how he’s made of glass etc.

All it means is that Hogan has played 2.5x the minutes and scored 6x the number of goals. Nothing more, nothing less. 

2 hours ago, lexicon said:

It's a forum, so opinions and views are debated and come under scrutiny and to be fair, now you're talking about something else. Referencing what you originally said, I do not see what purpose Bruce coming out and publicly stating that Hogan was a bad signing will serve. Do you think it'll improve our chances of moving him on? Do you think it will encourage or motivate the player to play better? Or what? 

Whoever suggested Bruce should do that ? Not me.

i think  you need to read the post again.

2 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Whoever suggested Bruce should do that ? Not me.

i think  you need to read the post again.

'Bruce has to hold his hand up and admit his part in all of this'

Can you explain that then? 

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

I guess therein lies the problem with our recruiting. X striker scored a lot of goals - let's get him in! With no regard for how he fits into our system. Which is why we spent over 40M on strikers and really only 1 has worked out.

Also, it's been a season and a half now. If he hasn't hit the heights yet, when will he? I had my hopes too, but after watching him for this long, I think I can confidently and regrettably say that he's just not a very good player.

Â