Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

I guess therein lies the problem with our recruiting. X striker scored a lot of goals - let's get him in! With no regard for how he fits into our system. Which is why we spent over 40M on strikers and really only 1 has worked out.

Also, it's been a season and a half now. If he hasn't hit the heights yet, when will he? I had my hopes too, but after watching him for this long, I think I can confidently and regrettably say that he's just not a very good player.

He's not a very good player but he's decent enough and would work better in a different system (such as the one at Brentford...) - we're just not set up to play the correct way for Hogan to thrive (as you allude to in the first part of your post).  I'm pretty sure during the Leeds game, it was stated that we put in more crosses and score more from crosses and set pieces than any other team in the league.  Hogan is 5ft 11 and known for playing on the shoulders of defenders.  Rocket science, it isn't.

However, to suggest there's "nothing there" and that he is good at "nothing" is just wrong.

• Like 4

Yeah there's a bit too much Hogan bashing, in the run of 7 wins when we were playing our best football he was a different player. No coincidence his best patch was when we were playing good stuff.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lexicon said:

'Bruce has to hold his hand up and admit his part in all of this'

Can you explain that then? 

Very easily - we spend £12 on a striker who has by pretty much everyone's admission proved disappointing - Bruce splashed out probably our entire January budget on Scott and it's not yielded a return - how can you possibly absolve Bruce from his share of blame - it  simply beggars believe in my opinion  - I'm not defending Scott's performances at all far from it - but let's have it right please 

2 hours ago, lexicon said:

'Bruce has to hold his hand up and admit his part in all of this'

Can you explain that then? 

I think both yourself and Stevo are getting yourselves into a tizzy over this. Can you elaborate a little bit more on what you would like to see explained please?

50 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Very easily - we spend £12 on a striker who has by pretty much everyone's admission proved disappointing - Bruce splashed out probably our entire January budget on Scott and it's not yielded a return - how can you possibly absolve Bruce from his share of blame - it  simply beggars believe in my opinion  - I'm not defending Scott's performances at all far from it - but let's have it right please 

Why are people obsessed with blame? Manager saw player scoring lots, signed him, things haven’t gone as well over 18 months. Why does Bruce need to be blamed?!?

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Dave J said:

I'm struggling to understand your point - do tell 

I thought it was pretty simple. But I'll try again for clarity:

You keep saying that people are absolving Bruce of all blame in the Hogan transfer. For example:

17 hours ago, Dave J said:

if you can't see any blame assigned to Bruce re: Hogan's transfer then I'm shocked.

So all I've done is asked:

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Has anyone actually said that Bruce has no blame for Hogan's transfer or is this something you've made up?

It's as simple as that. Has anybody actually absolved Bruce of all blame in this transfer? Because I don't believe they have.

Edited by Stevo985

29 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Can you elaborate a little bit more on what you would like to see explained please?

I'll try and help again.

When lexicon said:

5 hours ago, lexicon said:

I do not see what purpose Bruce coming out and publicly stating that Hogan was a bad signing will serve. 

You said:

3 hours ago, Dave J said:

Whoever suggested Bruce should do that ? Not me.

Despite previously saying:

On 15/04/2018 at 10:07, Dave J said:

Bruce has to hold his hand up and admit his part in all of this - and in Bruce's defence I would not be in the least bit surprised to hear him do this 

Lexicon is asking what you meant by the last quote if you weren't suggesting he should state that Hogan was a bad signing.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'll try and help again.

When lexicon said:

You said:

Despite previously saying:

Lexicon is asking what you meant by the last quote if you weren't suggesting he should state that Hogan was a bad signing.

It's not difficult - but here goes for the sake of Clarity - in my view there is absolutely no way  Bruce can be absolved of all responsibility for the signing of Scott Hogan - let me be even more transparent - I am not defending  Scott's performance in a Villa shirt nothing could be further from the truth - but he cost £12 mill and for whatever reason he has not shown  himself  to be the player we hoped he might be - but how can the person responsible for bringing him to the club - not come under scrutiny for their part in the transfer - Stevo I'm not sure if you realise but from what you are posting it appears you actually agree with me? I'm not suggesting for one second that nobody else thinks Bruce is culpable - I'm actually part of the same school of thought - I believe that Hogan will leave soon and at this point and certainly not the present moment Bruce will have to stand up and be counted - and here is the key point I believe he will do this as I think he is a decent guy - Just for Clarity !

21 minutes ago, Dave J said:

I'm not suggesting for one second that nobody else thinks Bruce is culpable 

Problem is Dave, that is exactly what you were suggesting. 

And that’s the bit I had an issue with. 

If that’s not what you meant then I have no issue. 

I personally feel Hogan is the one we should keep, if we are getting rid of Bruce & appoint a modern manager for eg Marco Silva , Smith who plays the ‘pass & move’ game..None of our midfielders/wingers are playing the ball on the deck & are only crossing the ball to him, which is not his strength. He need to play with quick thinking /quick feet midfielder , similiar to players like Eriksen/Silva /Dele Ali etc who can release ball better , I am sure he will do well. O’Hare comes to mind..

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Problem is Dave, that is exactly what you were suggesting. 

And that’s the bit I had an issue with. 

If that’s not what you meant then I have no issue. 

I'm afraid you have entirely misunderstood Stevo - I hold him to blame in part for the Hogan saga  but never once have I said I think no one else feels he is culpable for his role in  this transfer.

4 minutes ago, Dave J said:

I'm afraid you have entirely misunderstood Stevo - I hold him to blame in part for the Hogan saga  but never once have I said I think no one else feels he is culpable for his role in  this transfer.

:D

Dave, over the last couple of pages, you have said the following in response to three separate posters:

On 15/04/2018 at 09:51, Dave J said:

You seem absolutely intent on denying Bruce has any part in this saga 

On 15/04/2018 at 10:14, Dave J said:

in your words and the guy who signs him walks away without any blame attached.

20 hours ago, Dave J said:

if you can't see any blame assigned to Bruce re: Hogan's transfer then I'm shocked.

4 hours ago, Dave J said:

how can you possibly absolve Bruce from his share of blame 

2 hours ago, Dave J said:

in my view there is absolutely no way  Bruce can be absolved of all responsibility for the signing of Scott Hogan

Despite NONE of these posters absolving Bruce of blame in signing Scott Hogan.

This is my point. Your posts were complaining that people were absolving Bruce of blame. Yet nobody was absolving Bruce of blame.

1 hour ago, Digavilla said:

I personally feel Hogan is the one we should keep, if we are getting rid of Bruce & appoint a modern manager for eg Marco Silva , Smith who plays the ‘pass & move’ game..None of our midfielders/wingers are playing the ball on the deck & are only crossing the ball to him, which is not his strength. He need to play with quick thinking /quick feet midfielder , similiar to players like Eriksen/Silva /Dele Ali etc who can release ball better , I am sure he will do well. O’Hare comes to mind..

Yeah, slight problem with that system and thinking hogan will come good in it.

18 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

:D

Dave, over the last couple of pages, you have said the following in response to three separate posters:

Despite NONE of these posters absolving Bruce of blame in signing Scott Hogan.

This is my point. Your posts were complaining that people were absolving Bruce of blame. Yet nobody was absolving Bruce of blame.

Stevo - if I was bothered enough I may choose to go back and look at the original posts that I responded to but the truth is I can't -  it does appear that you have cut and paste a few sentences that don't show the entire context of either the original and my replies.

You yourself have stated twice that he is crap - how can you not see that by saying this -you too bring Bruce's judgement  into question  I don't think we are really that far apart in our assessment of this situation 

1 hour ago, Dave J said:

Stevo - if I was bothered enough I may choose to go back and look at the original posts that I responded to but the truth is I can't -  it does appear that you have cut and paste a few sentences that don't show the entire context of either the original and my replies.

You are impossible.

You can't be bothered to go back and look at the original posts because you know that you'll see you made an error.

This is why I and others have such problems with some of your posts.

You post stuff that is not true or incorrect. And when someone pulls you up on it, you don't just hold your hands up and say "sorry, I misunderstood" or "Sorry that's not what I meant, I actually meant this"

You instead post this "oh I can't be bothered" or "it's not worth it" stuff and just dodge the issue, and then just repeat the exact same thing like you've done AGAIN here:

1 hour ago, Dave J said:

You yourself have stated twice that he is crap - how can you not see that by saying this -you too bring Bruce's judgement  into question  

For the final time, I AM NOT ABSOLVING BRUCE OF ANY BLAME!
His judgement was wrong on Scott Hogan.

THIS SIGNING IS BRUCE'S FAULT!

This is about the 5th time I've said it in the last few pages.
For the love of all that is holy in this world, stop ignoring what I and others are writing!

Edited by Stevo985

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

You are impossible.

You can't be bothered to go back and look at the original posts because you know that you'll see you made an error.

You post stuff that is not true or incorrect. And when someone pulls you up on it, you don't just hold your hands up and say "sorry, I misunderstood" or "Sorry that's not what I meant, I actually meant this"

You instead post this "oh I can't be bothered" or "it's not worth it" stuff and just dodge the issue, and then just repeat the exact same thing like you've done AGAIN here:

For the love of all that is holy in this world, stop ignoring what I and others are writing!

For the final time - your're the one not getting it - rinse and repeat and yes your bang on I genuinely can't be bothered.

this is just a bit of fun for me  - you are not Villa Talk and  boy do you take it way to seriously - chill your beans !!!

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

You are impossible.

So you think it's Bruce's fault? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â