Modern day club legends

Davkaus

We can all probably agree on some of the all time greats. The likes of Cowans, Mortimer, Little, McGrath, but do we have any players in recent history (sorry old 'uns, those listed don't count as recent :P ) who in years to come we'll consider up there with the all time greats?

To kick things off, this post is partly inspired by conversations about Petrov in the RHM thread, about whether he's a club legend. I'd say he absolutely isn't, purely because he didn't do anywhere near enough on the pitch, despite being a stand up guy, unifying the club, and bringing some pride back to supporting the Villa.

However, I think even in 10-20 years time I'll remember the contributions of Benteke even though he spent far less time at the club.He might not have done as much in a Villa shirt as many of our all time best strikers, but in terms of the impact he had while he was here, he's not far off, IMO. 

Ian Taylor and Gareth Barry

Best players I have seen at the club (in my lifetime) have been Platt, McGrath and Yorke. All bonafide legends. Cowans as well, but his peak years were before my time.

I'd say Mellberg as well. 

• Like 4

I wouldn't class Petrov as a legend. Great story about him beating his illness, but never thought he was all that as a player. To me, he was the weakest part of our best team in the last 20 years.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Nope. We've had a few that could have gone on to be but for whatever reason they burnt their bridges or just weren't here long enough.

This definitely seems to come up as lot with us.

When I think of some of the best players we've ever had since the 90s (not since Sky invented football, just within my lifetime), I think of the likes of Yorke, Platt, even Barry, who were all tremendous footballers, all of whom served the club incredibly well, then left (or tried to) in the worst way in the case of the last two, or in the case of Platt, he just seems to distance himself from the club as much as possible.

I'd definitely have Ian Taylor  up there as @Xela says, even though in terms of ability on the pitch he's probably not up there with a lot of players we had around that time. He was a good player, had a great story off the pitch, and stayed heavily involved with the club, which helps a lot. Which is difficult for me because I'm trying to decide why I feel like Taylor would be included, but not Petrov. :P 

Edited by Davkaus

I think we'd probably have to redefine club legend as we are highly unlikely to find any over the last twenty odd years or the next thirty odd years if we are basing them on the standards of the likes of McCrath and Cowans who are personally my all time Villa heroes with Cowans just edging it.

If I was to say ask my eldest daughter who is 18 and has been a season ticket holder at the Villa since she was 6, so 2004, which players she would class as legends then for her it would be Barry and Petrov.

I guess it is a generational thing as who is a legend to someone who has watched us over the last 10 or 20 years will differ from the levels needed to be reached for a supporter who has followed us for 30 odd years plus.

Edited by markavfc40

Petrov to me if it weren't for his illness would probably have gone on to play another 100-150 games for us putting him second to Barry in terms of appearances, he would have pushed for 300 games and retired here

I think if we'd have won that league cup and got CL then I think it would be different, after being unsuccessful for so long none of them are really going to be anything more than fan favourites

• Like 2

I liked Ian Taylor as a player but I felt he should have left a couple of years before he did and was way past his best. A club legend? Not in a million years. If we keep classing half decent players as "legends" then the word will start to lose its impact. McGrath was a legend, so was Mortimer, Withe, Sid etc etc. Not Ian Taylor. 

46 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

People seem to forget/over look Taylor's role in the Barry Liverpool saga and eventual departure.

What happened there then trent? I dont think i heard anything about that (or have i been in a bubble)

Edited by Uncle Albert

3 minutes ago, Uncle Albert said:

What happened there then trent? I dont think i heard anything about that (or have i been in a bubble)

Wasn't he Barry's agent at the time he wanted to go to Liverpool? Then Rafa bought Keane from Spuds instead and never followed through leaving Barry high & dry.

Edited by TheAuthority

There isn't a criteria to be classed as a legend. Stan will be classed as a legend more for his fight against cancer and his affinity to the club. Taylor will be because he's one of us and managed to score in a Wembley final. Some will get called it because of longevity others because of success. Some will just be personal opinion. Ultimately most will have made us happy watching them. Let's hope there's a few legends in the making in our team. If Hutton scores the winner in the Play Off final even he will be classed as a legend!!!! 

Â