Modern day club legends

Davkaus

4 minutes ago, Phumfeinz said:

It was all downhill from there. That is the turning point in my mind where Randy lost interest.

You can't blame one shit result for Lerner losing interest. He's a spoilt rich kid who was always going to lose interest at some stage. Blaming it on a result makes the players look like the bad guy and gets him off the hook a bit because he was some how driven to it. Nah, I don't buy it. Lerner f#cked us over, and the blame is on him 100% and no one else. 

• Like 1

We've not really had any of late because they either come in trophy winning sides (ho ho) or they stay at the club for a very long time and perform at a high level. The problem with the latter is that it can be tarnished by leaving in the wrong way (Barry).

Based on this, Mellberg would be the last one for me - over 250 games, was very good the whole time and had a real bond with the fans and club.

• Like 1

In my memory and experience:

Spink, Cowans, Daley, McGrath, Yorke, 

i would also consider if their time wasn't so brief with us: Laursen, Dublin, Saunders, Atkinson, Milner, Bosnich was also a good club man.

(Sort of) World class:

McGrath, Platt, Yorke, Atkinson (on his day), Benteke.

We've had some decent players over the years, just not many at the same time, or have been able to keep hold of them long enough, or quite get the best out of them.

I reckon with investment at the peak of MON days, rather than selling, we could be where Spurs are now. If we could've picked up Defoe then, and kept Young/Milner/Barry/Laursen, we would have kicked on.

Paul McGrath is the only World class player we've had at the club in the 30 years I've been watching.

Head and shoulders above anyone else in terms of his ability.

(World Class is a subjective term, my definition is it would be the team of the very best 11 players in the world at any given time)

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Paul McGrath is the only World class player we've had at the club in the 30 years I've been watching.

(World Class is a subjective term, my definition is it would be the team of the very best 11 players in the world at any given time)

I would put David Platt without doubt in the best players we have had here , like you say World class is down to interpretation

Gareth Barry definitely is a club legend. He played for the youth team, (ok he didn't come through the ranks, but he was still at the youth team) and then went on to captain the club. One of our highest ever appearing players as well. Won numerous England caps whilst at the club.

Olaf Mellberg. Consistently good performances in numerous positions. Great rapport with the fans and did the whole free shirt thing.

Modern legends yes

As good as players from the past No

10 hours ago, villa4europe said:

plus the booing at VP you could see it really got to him, don't think he ever had even a half decent game on his return, he poor every time I saw him, so I booed too, more in trying to impact him than anything daft like hating him, I don't hate him but I do think he's tarnished any status that he should have here

First of all, bollocks. He had a decent season.

Second of all, you booed a player in the hope it might make him play better? I'm calling bollocks on that too. How old were you at the time?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mattyvilla said:

I would put David Platt without doubt in the best players we have had here , like you say World class is down to interpretation

You know what, I actually started to include him then edited it out.

He was an absolute star of Italia 90 no question but he wasn't one of the two best CM's in the world then or at any point in his career.

Gazza and Lothar Matthaus would be easily ahead of him as would others.

15 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Totally agree !

10 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Gareth Barry definitely is a club legend. He played for the youth team, (ok he didn't come through the ranks, but he was still at the youth team) and then went on to captain the club. One of our highest ever appearing players as well. Won numerous England caps whilst at the club.

Olaf Mellberg. Consistently good performances in numerous positions. Great rapport with the fans and did the whole free shirt thing.

Modern legends yes

As good as players from the past No

Modern stars yes - legends no.

mcgrath head and shoulders above anyone I've seen at villa since the 70s when I started watching.

• Like 1

Mellberg is a legend regardless. So is John Carew.

There's more to being a legend than your ability as a player, if the fans are still singing your name on the terraces (or using your face as an avatar) 8 years after you left, you did something right. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Mellberg is a legend regardless. So is John Carew.

There's more to being a legend than your ability as a player, if the fans are still singing your name on the terraces (or using your face as an avatar) 8 years after you left, you did something right. 

I'll see your Carew and raise you an Alan mcinally :)

13 hours ago, Xela said:

I wouldn't class Petrov as a legend. Great story about him beating his illness, but never thought he was all that as a player. To me, he was the weakest part of our best team in the last 20 years.

I always rated Petrov and what he brought to the side. It's fair to say though not everyone shared my opinion, so I agree he isn't a legend.  Lads around me called him the crab for months until the horrific news, then was suddenly a legend.

He is a legend though for what he went through, and how he played again. Maybe that makes him a club legend?

11 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Yes there is something in that.

A club legend isn't just being a great player it's about a connection with the fans and the club that lasts far longer than a career.

Someone like Platt or Yorke could and should have been had they treated the club better after their time here.

Mellberg is an example of someone who will hold legendary status with the fans far in excess of his ability.

I do though think these types of players with decades fade, they are more fan favourites rather than true legends.

Paul McGrath is still revealed to this day, in 20 or 25 years I don't think people will be talking about Mellberg.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

First of all, bollocks. He had a decent season.

Second of all, you booed a player in the hope it might make him play better? I'm calling bollocks on that too. How old were you at the time?

Read what I said again

i never saw Barry have a decent game for city at VP, in my opinion the booing got to him

• Like 1

Â