Modern day club legends

Davkaus

2 hours ago, theboyangel said:

I think the likes of mellberg, bouma and Carew (who I all loved at the club) are more cult heroes than legends.

I agree with this, partly, because I never understood the adulation Bouma got. Mellberg and Carew were good players and fan favourites and rightly so. Bouma though, hmmm, he never convinced me at all. Too many mistakes and too many injuries. 

For me the most recent club legends are Barry, Mellberg and Laursen. I remember seeing Barry in my first ever game at VP against Leeds. It was one of the best performances that I have ever seen by a Villa player to this day. He chipped in with a few goals during his time and I have many fond memories of him in the claret & blue.

I think Laursen and Mellberg is the best cb partnership that I can remember in recent times and I was gutted when it came to an end.

I think that a potential future club legend is Grealish. He has all the qualities to be a true great at VP but needs to start being more consistent and sort his off pitch behaviour out. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Xela said:

Ian Taylor and Gareth Barry

Best players I have seen at the club (in my lifetime) have been Platt, McGrath and Yorke. All bonafide legends. Cowans as well, but his peak years were before my time.

I'd say Mellberg as well. 

Mellberg yes, Barry no.

Mellberg left us to move abroad to play for Juventus which meant he wouldn't be playing against us... Barry had been engineering a move away from us for a couple of years and then spent the next few years playing against us for that shit-stain club in Manchester...

There are two that should be in consideration based on their productivity, on what they've given the club; one is 8th on our all time appearance list and the other is 12th on that list and 1 goal from being in the top 20 Villa goalscorers of all time.

Both have in a way blown it, both still have a chance of redemption - just.

Gareth Barry could still become a Villa legend, I can see him back here at some point with a managers coat on. Without that, he'll be remembered as a very good player who left under a bit of a cloud.

By the end of the season, Gabby Agbonlahor could be one of only four Villa men to have played 400 games and scored 85 goals - but the four seasons of dross he's served up has meant that he'll not be remembered for what he's given but instead for what he's not. He's still got a chance because he's still playing - a winning goal in the playoff final would make take him a good step towards improving his legacy. Ultimately though his lack of productivity in the last three seasons in particular have dented his chances significantly - just five goals in each of those seasons would have made him the first Villa player to break a hundred in 55 years. So close yet absolutely miles away.

If I was picking one I liked then it would be Olof Mellberg. Never mind the loving the club, never mind the hating the heath, never mind the beard, never mind the buying shirts for the away fans, never mind Olof Mellberg day - we sometimes forget that he was a very, very good centre back, blessed with pace, strength, aerial ability and a stubborn determination. He's the nearest I think we have in recent times.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

I'm outraged no one has mentioned out all time Premier League top goalscorer :D

Oh he's definitely a cult ;)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I don't know about legend but Benteke was a special player. The closest we've had and will have to a world class player in a long while.

Good, yes. World class? Not even close IMO. 

Villa legends since about 2000 to me

Barry

Taylor

Mellberg

****if wasnt for his dive Ashley Young would be on this list

Players that could have if probably played longer or stayed fit

Merson

Hitzlsperger

Laursen

Benteke

Freidel

Milner

Cult Heroes

Salifou

Bowery

Martin Laursen is a legend in my eyes, despite being injured for long periods of time. But when he played, boy, was he good! Chipped in with a few important goals and was a real rock at the back alongside Olof Mellberg. I got the black and blue Acorns away shirt with his name and number on the back and I don't usually buy shirts because they're so damn expensive.

Gareth Barry is someone that had potential to become a real legend but he spoiled it somewhat with the way he wanted to leave the club. I even wrote a song when the whole Liverpool thing was going on called "F--- Off Gareth Barry". I can't consider him a legend after that! Although when he played in the first game back at VP after he said he was staying, I cheered him on like the fickle fan I am! So who knows, eh? Can't begrudge him for wanting to leave and he's won things since but it would have been nice to have kept those great players we had over the last 10 or so years ago and really made a go of it instead of sinking without trace.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, avfc1982 said:

And that means what exactly?

That Cowans moved abroad to a team that wouldnt be competing against us in the same league... As did Mellberg...
I think its fair to wish well to players who would rather do that as opposed to those who jump ship to another team in the same league and help them win things essentially at our expense

As a newbie to this forum, but an ancient supporter my choices are:

Willie Anderson

Andy Lochead

Dennis Mortimer 

Brian little

Jimmy Rimmer or Jim Cumbes

But of course this was before football was invented and everything was in black and white,.....now where did I put my pipe, slippers and worthors originals?

Del

• Like 2

Â