Modern day club legends

Davkaus

Great thread @Davkaus!

Barry - I can still see him pose for the that NOTW interview. Sat on his fat arse, moaning about MON. He's no legend. 

Mellberg for his affinity with the fans, maybe.

I can't think of any others that are fit to lace Gods boots. Which is a sad state of affairs given how long ago he left us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave J said:

I would say Barry- I think the guy was and is still a class act and let's be perfectly honest who would not have done the same thing when he moved to city.?

What about the things he did to engineer a move to Liverpool?  

4 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

What about the things he did to engineer a move to Liverpool?  

So what? Didn't Cowans engineer a move to Bari?

Barry player more than 300 PL games for Villa so I think he earned the chance to ask for a move. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, avfc1982 said:

So what? Didn't Cowans engineer a move to Bari?

Barry player more than 300 PL games for Villa so I think he earned the chance to ask for a move. 

Asking for a move is completely acceptable, I agree. Many players have asked for a move, been granted one and then returned to VP to a round of applause. 

But he didn't just ask for a move.

26 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Barry - I can still see him pose for the that NOTW interview. Sat on his fat arse, moaning about MON. He's no legend. 

Wasn't th headline something like MON is too busy working for the BBC at the euros to sort my contract out.......says Gareth Barry from his holiday home on florida

that article changed everything for me, utter bellend

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Asking for a move is completely acceptable, I agree. Many players have asked for a move, been granted one and then returned to VP to a round of applause. 

But he didn't just ask for a move.

Sorry I don't see what the difference is. Are you suggesting he engineered a move? If so, so what? I'm sure Cowans "engineered" a move to Bari, and so have countless players before and since. Not many players appear in more than 300 league games for one club though. I've never got the hate Barry gets from some Villa fans. He wanted a move and he told the fans. I thought that was honest, we'll certainly more honest than say James Milner who wanted out after a couple of seasons and organised a move without the fans even knowing, yet he gets treated like some kind of returning hero when he plays at Villa Park. It's bonkers. 

Just now, avfc1982 said:

Sorry I don't see what the difference is. Are you suggesting he engineered a move? If so, so what? I'm sure Cowans "engineered" a move to Bari, and so have countless players before and since. Not many players appear in more than 300 league games for one club though. I've never got the hate Barry gets from some Villa fans. He wanted a move and he told the fans. I thought that was honest, we'll certainly more honest than say James Milner who wanted out after a couple of seasons and organised a move without the fans even knowing, yet he gets treated like some kind of returning hero when he plays at Villa Park. It's bonkers. 

Completely understand what you're saying. 

But in my, perhaps old school world, I'd like players to ask the manager for a move, have a bid accepted by the team you want to move to, then move. 

The NOTW interview, in my eyes, was a slap in the face to the club, the manager and most importantly he fans. It was unnecessary.

Jordan Bowery would have never done that. 

Let's face it, we've had so little to shout about over the last 2 decades that it's hardly surprising there is no stand out player that can be considered a legend.

A lot of the players around the years 2008-10 had the opportunity to make themselves legends...... They bottled it.

3 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

Let's face it, we've had so little to shout about over the last 2 decades that it's hardly surprising there is no stand out player that can be considered a legend.

A lot of the players around the years 2008-10 had the opportunity to make themselves legends...... They bottled it.

Randy bottled it. They jumped ship.

Club Legend can mean different things but I see it as someone who has made an impact on the club in someway not necessary through trophies or their personal skill level.

In the past we have legends from one of the lowest periods in the Clubs life - Andy Lockhead for example.  Name still sung to this Day.  Charlie Aitken stuck by through thick and very thing back to thick again.

Ray Graydon whose goals got us back to division 1, Brian Little, Andy Gray but even Frank Carrodus is considered by some old timers and Alex Cropley is a legend for his ability to keep running like Forest Gump.

Anyone on the 1982 Team of course gets Legend Status but I often think Allan Evans is overlooked when you consider he stayed with us when relegated and made sure we got back to then Div 1.

Allan Mcanally only really scored for half a season but again as Legend Status among some (including me).  Even Paul Birch who like Cropley could run and run is still sung about.

90s Yorke, McGrath  etc I could go on.

To myself I always loved the larger than life Character - John Carew.  Angel another.  Mellberg defiantly in even if just for his 5-1 finger pose.

Barry was excellent footballer and upto when he left a good servant but I don't view him as a Legend.  

Over the past few years -Benteke.

Players that leave you with memories and have a bit of folk-lore around them are legends.

Edited by NIVillan
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

But in my, perhaps old school world, I'd like players to ask the manager for a move, have a bid accepted by the team you want to move to, then move. 

The NOTW interview, in my eyes, was a slap in the face to the club, the manager and most importantly he fans. It was unnecessary.

That for me basically, from what I can remember the interview almost tried to spin the whole situation on its head and suggest that it was the clubs fault because we weren't offering him a super contract and then he was leaving because he was desperate for champions league and couldn't wait for us to get in it and joined city who weren't in it either, he just wasn't very honest and was in my opinion a bit disrespectful, if he'd have said city have money villa can't touch, they will win the league and pay me more I'd have said fair enough but that's not what he said

plus the booing at VP you could see it really got to him, don't think he ever had even a half decent game on his return, he poor every time I saw him, so I booed too, more in trying to impact him than anything daft like hating him, I don't hate him but I do think he's tarnished any status that he should have here

10 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Again I don't understand what you're complaining about. How do you know the default way to get a move is to speak to the manager first, and how do you know he didn't speak to the manager first anyway? We don't know the reality of the ins and outs of football behind the scenes really, so it's just guess work. The way I look at it is that Barry, a top class player with 11 years service and more than 300 league appearances for Villa wanted a move. He even spoke to the fans via a newspaper and told them why he wanted a move, and still it wasn't good enough for some of that fanbase who now treat him like the anti-christ on his return. Honestly it's ridiculous. Yet Milner gets treated like a returning hero despite him just sneaking out the back door after a couple of years whilst keeping fans in the dark whenever he was asked about his future. 

'I really don't understand modern football fans. 

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

Martin Laursen is the most recent legend for me.

a true leader, who led by example and was in devastating form until his recurring knee injuries caused his early retirement. 

Nice guy too. 

In recent times, certainly the player whose performances caught my eye more than anybody else in the last 15 or so years. A class above. As you mentioned, the injuries meant we simply did not see the years of his capability as we should have. 

I admired Petrov - a lionheart and not just for the battle after football. He always gave his all for me particularly when we reached the doldrums. 

I enjoyed the years Gareth Barry gave to Villa but when I see him play or I think about it, it still hurts that it was cut short. It would have been nice in 2017 to have a player playing for us since 1998. Sour grapes on my part possibly.

As fans, we all need something to cling on to and we have our favourites and for some of us, they will be legends in our eyes. Ian Taylor and Petrov for me. Choices are not on ability but more the association to Villa and they're former players who speak well of Villa or look out for us. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, knoppy1987 said:

In recent times, certainly the player whose performances caught my eye more than anybody else in the last 15 or so years. A class above. As you mentioned, the injuries meant we simply did not see the years of his capability as we should have. 

I admired Petrov - a lionheart and not just for the battle after football. He always gave his all for me particularly when we reached the doldrums. 

I enjoyed the years Gareth Barry gave to Villa but when I see him play or I think about it, it still hurts that it was cut short. It would have been nice in 2017 to have a player playing for us since 1998. Sour grapes on my part possibly.

As fans, we all need something to cling on to and we have our favourites and for some of us, they will be legends in our eyes. Ian Taylor and Petrov for me. Choices are not on ability but more the association to Villa and they're former players who speak well of Villa or look out for us. 

You can't really claim his time here was cut short when he was at the club for 11 years. What does hurt is that he went on to bigger and better things while Villa ended up enduring arguably their most humiliating era in history. There's only one man to blame for that and he is Randy Lerner. 

11 minutes ago, avfc1982 said:

Again I don't understand what you're complaining about. How do you know the default way to get a move is to speak to the manager first, and how do you know he didn't speak to the manager first anyway? We don't know the reality of the ins and outs of football behind the scenes really, so it's just guess work. The way I look at it is that Barry, a top class player with 11 years service and more than 300 league appearances for Villa wanted a move. He even spoke to the fans via a newspaper and told them why he wanted a move, and still it wasn't good enough for some of that fanbase who now treat him like the anti-christ on his return. Honestly it's ridiculous. Yet Milner gets treated like a returning hero despite him just sneaking out the back door after a couple of years whilst keeping fans in the dark whenever he was asked about his future. 

'I really don't understand modern football fans. 

I play, A LOT, of Football Manager 2015, so I'm in a pretty good place to tell you how transfer's work my friend. ;)

We agree to disagree. Good discussion though.

Modern day legends, only General K and Nicky K left an indelible mark on our magnificent club.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, avfc1982 said:

You can't really claim his time here was cut short when he was at the club for 11 years. What does hurt is that he went on to bigger and better things while Villa ended up enduring arguably their most humiliating era in history. There's only one man to blame for that and he is Randy Lerner. 

Of course I can AVFC1982  (I recently did) - I wanted him to be at Villa for his career. The fact is, he wasn't. I like Gareth Barry and I do not look at him as the spawn of the devil. He is fondly thought of in knoppy1987's world so I apologise if I offended you in any way.  

I agree with your view on Randy Lerner. Sheer humiliation and soul destroying to this very day. Even so, I intend to have a good time at the game tomorrow and at the rest of the games I go to this season.   

8 minutes ago, knoppy1987 said:

Of course I can AVFC1982  (I recently did) - I wanted him to be at Villa for his career. The fact is, he wasn't. I like Gareth Barry and I do not look at him as the spawn of the devil. He is fondly thought of in knoppy1987's world so I apologise if I offended you in any way.  

I agree with your view on Randy Lerner. Sheer humiliation and soul destroying to this very day. Even so, I intend to have a good time at the game tomorrow and at the rest of the games I go to this season.   

Well we're in agreement then because I also wanted Barry to play his complete career at Villa, and I actually despise Lerner who for me is the biggest villain (word used in the old fashioned sense) ever to cross this club's path in more the 140 years. What he did to us was nothing more than sabotage and I curse the day he ever showed up. It's a pity so many fans gave him an easy ride when they used to pounce on Ellis as soon as he as much broke wind. 

• Like 2

Â