Modern day club legends

Davkaus

23 hours ago, dubliner said:

Would have to say McGrath is the only one I've seen in my 30+ years watching the Villa that I'd put in the World Class bracket.

In the last 25 years have we even had another player finish in the Top 3 in the PFA awards? (We may have done but I certainly can't remember one).

McGrath's performances for both Villa and Ireland were exceptional almost every time.

The game against Italy in USA 94 will always stick in my mind, when he was up against the world's best at the time, Roberto Baggio.

Honourable mention for Platty but was he World Class while playing for Villa?? I think he fell a bit short of that mark

100% agree about McGrath, but I'd say Platt was too. He played at Italia 90, and got important goals for an England side that got to the semi final of a World Cup, on the back of being the 1990 PFA Player of the year for Villa. I'd add Dwight Yorke to the list too. That 95/96 season especially, he was magnificent. He went on to be a star player in a side, that won just about everything there was possible to win in domestic and European football. 

EDIT: The common theme to all three players is they all signed when Graham Taylor was manager. I consider GT a legend too.  

Edited by dAVe80
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

See, now you're defining legend the way I would define legend.

Without question the best player to ever don the claret and blue- if he had played for Italy, England, Germany I am confident people would be talking of him in terms of one of the world's greatest ever footballers. I am privileged to have seen him play

• Like 1

Â