Davkaus

1 hour ago, delboy54 said:

As a newbie to this forum, but an ancient supporter my choices are:

Willie Anderson

Andy Lochead

Dennis Mortimer 

Brian little

Jimmy Rimmer or Jim Cumbes

But of course this was before football was invented and everything was in black and white,.....now where did I put my pipe, slippers and worthors originals?

Del

I was with you until you mentioned Jim Cumbes ;) (one of our better fast bowlers but I rate Nigel Spink as the better goalkeeper/bowler of these two all rounders by some distance). I think you might have also missed at least Rioch, Gidman, Graydon, Gray, Evans, Cowans, Withe, Morley, and Shaw from your 1966 - 82 list but memories are one of the first things to go for us "ancients" :)

• Like 1

Just now, NurembergVillan said:

Laursen and Mellberg.

One arrived here from Milan, the other left here for Juve.  Might be a while before we get to say that again about any of our players.

Isn’t Veretout a target for Juventus ;)

Legendary status also seems to entail how you depart from the club, how you play against the club and what you say afterwards about the club. 

Barry could have been a legend but chose richer pastures, same with Milner and Young. Laursen is almost a legend. I think Delph could have. Gabby probably ends up our leading ever Premier League scorer and one club man so I hate to say it but in 40 years time people might be talking about him like they are Brian Little, Gary Shaw and Gordon Cowans 

Thing is, people are still talking about Shaw, Cowans, Little et al because they won us trophies. 

I hope to god in 40 years time we're in a position where we've had several players who have surpassed Gabby's pathetic goal haul. Benteke got more than half-way there in a few seasons.

23 hours ago, John said:

I was with you until you mentioned Jim Cumbes ;) (one of our better fast bowlers but I rate Nigel Spink as the better goalkeeper/bowler of these two all rounders by some distance). I think you might have also missed at least Rioch, Gidman, Graydon, Gray, Evans, Cowans, Withe, Morley, and Shaw from your 1966 - 82 list but memories are one of the first things to go for us "ancients" :)

Ok then-

Shaw

McGRATH

Cowans

Cropley

Gray ( first time around)

Bosnich

Little

Platt

Yorke

Gidman

Morley

Withe

i also had soft spots for Burridge, Phillips, Donovan ( I know not why) Sticks, Saunders 

ps I do know why Donovan - he once gave me a lift from BH back into town - a genuinely nice guy who seemed to appreciate his life. Wow how footballers have changed

Edited by Dave J
To add something in

if we take modern to mean since 16-17 years.  A few come to mind that were legends because the fan's loved them so much.  Mellberg, Laursen, Carew, Angel, Ashley Young, Barry, Downing, Even Gabby, but if your asking about footballing greats in that time frame, then I fear this is a joke thread.

11 hours ago, Phumfeinz said:

Thing is, people are still talking about Shaw, Cowans, Little et al because they won us trophies. 

I hope to god in 40 years time we're in a position where we've had several players who have surpassed Gabby's pathetic goal haul. Benteke got more than half-way there in a few seasons.

You're so right when saying this

1 hour ago, srsmithusa said:

if we take modern to mean since 16-17 years.  A few come to mind that were legends because the fan's loved them so much.  Mellberg, Laursen, Carew, Angel, Ashley Young, Barry, Downing, Even Gabby, but if your asking about footballing greats in that time frame, then I fear this is a joke thread.

Personally I would not have Gabby anywhere near this status to be honest with you - nor Downing I felt he was one of the most one footed- one dimensional players I have seen- but I respect your opinion.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dave J said:

Personally I would not have Gabby anywhere near this status to be honest with you - nor Downing I felt he was one of the most one footed- one dimensional players I have seen- but I respect your opinion.

I don't !!!!  what I mean is that I don't think any of them were footballing greats, but they were all, at one time or another apparently fan favorites.  My whole point is that it depends on your definition of a legend, and I'm not sure I've seen one at Villa in modern era.  

• Like 1

Would have to say McGrath is the only one I've seen in my 30+ years watching the Villa that I'd put in the World Class bracket.

In the last 25 years have we even had another player finish in the Top 3 in the PFA awards? (We may have done but I certainly can't remember one).

McGrath's performances for both Villa and Ireland were exceptional almost every time.

The game against Italy in USA 94 will always stick in my mind, when he was up against the world's best at the time, Roberto Baggio.

Honourable mention for Platty but was he World Class while playing for Villa?? I think he fell a bit short of that mark

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dubliner said:

Would have to say McGrath is the only one I've seen in my 30+ years watching the Villa that I'd put in the World Class bracket.

In the last 25 years have we even had another player finish in the Top 3 in the PFA awards? (We may have done but I certainly can't remember one).

McGrath's performances for both Villa and Ireland were exceptional almost every time.

The game against Italy in USA 94 will always stick in my mind, when he was up against the world's best at the time, Roberto Baggio.

Honourable mention for Platty but was he World Class while playing for Villa?? I think he fell a bit short of that mark

See, now you're defining legend the way I would define legend.

• Like 1

On 10/01/2017 at 09:48, NurembergVillan said:

Laursen and Mellberg.

One arrived here from Milan, the other left here for Juve.  Might be a while before we get to say that again about any of our players.

Spot on.  Fantastic attitudes, great talents and seemingly lovely chaps too.  Especially that Olof Mellberg :wub:

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Dave J said:

Ok then-

Shaw

McGRATH

Cowans

Cropley

Gray ( first time around)

Bosnich

Little

Platt

Yorke

Gidman

Morley

Withe

i also had soft spots for Burridge, Phillips, Donovan ( I know not why) Sticks, Saunders 

ps I do know why Donovan - he once gave me a lift from BH back into town - a genuinely nice guy who seemed to appreciate his life. Wow how footballers have changed

Ian Taylor? 

Â