Gareth Southgate

Richard

Going back into his Saudi league games it looks like he played 6 and wasn’t a winner in any of them. So he has been a winner once in that last 16 games he has appeared in.

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

We have one of the most talented and exciting squads in world football, but you can guarantee Henderson will be on the plane for the Euros :) 

I wouldn’t play him, but we lack cms so there is some argument for him going 

20 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

He's only 182 cms tall, so his height doesn't swing it for me either. :D

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

If he's there as a last resort then I guess it's ok. But he should be nowhere near the team with the talent we have

Rice, Mainoo and Bellingham should be our central midfield for the next 5-8 years

Geezer literally looked like a 45 year old retired pro playing in soccer aid at Villa Park.

The man chats untold amount of drivel. Henderson was decent, he had an engine and was decent at all facets of the game. Decent. Without the engine he's a **** pub player now.

Sack the word removed.

What is the point of playing friendlies and not experimenting with new blood and new formations etc and playing the same old players?

Oh I forgot we have Safegate as England manager 🤬

21 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Mainoo may well turn into a fantastic footballer, but how he's done enough to warrant an England first team place at this stage is utterly baffling (and I'll admit, I don't watch Man Utd games so maybe he's utter class all the time).

I’d agree, although we lost I thought McGinn ran him ragged and showed Mainoo’s inexperience 

16 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

if we're picking lets say 4 or 5 CMs then the pool would be rice, bellingham, henderson, phillips, gallagher, mainoo, ramsey, jones, elliot, skipp, barkley, RLC, mount and then depending on how you see them maddison and MGW

Rice and Bellingham are 2 who will obviously go, and should play.

Beyond them as you say nothing really jumps out. Gallagher has looked better as the season has gone on. Ramsey a bit of a wild card. It’s almost impossible to think of something Mount is very good at. Barkley I think has had his day (and he blew it, kw). 

A fit Maddison should be a part of it. 

Maybe Mainoo / Elliot as “ones for the future” to be a part of the squad.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

But in this case that's not a dig at his ability, it's a dig at how blind Southgate is to players who play at other clubs.

I'd bet money that the variety of clubs that Southgate has picked players from is more diverse than any other England manager in decades. The current squad has fifteen different clubs represented. In the time he's been England manager he's picked five different players from Burnley, seven from Southampton, three from Bournemouth, two from West Brom (!) and six from Crystal Palace.

He has plenty of failings, but selecting players from a wide range of clubs isn't one of them. 

Edited by ml1dch

23 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

He was only really playing at a standard where he might have expected an England call-up for eighteen months tbh. And separately, in that same time frame, the manager who would never call up a player from Aston Villa had called up both Mings and Watkins. 

The lockdown season he was one of our best players when Maguire was tackling his own players. Had a dip under the clearing in the woods and then revitalised again while players like Maguire, Dier, Coady and Ben Godfrey were picling up caps

He did call up them 2 but publicly dropped Mings from the World Cup for no reason and mocked Watkins inclusion as recency bias 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The tabloids are jumping all over this.

I hope it's true, talk about two birds with one useless, irritating, arrogant, **** word removed.

1 hour ago, ml1dch said:

I'd bet money that the variety of clubs that Southgate has picked players from is more diverse than any other England manager in decades. The current squad has fifteen different clubs represented. In the time he's been England manager he's picked five different players from Burnley, seven from Southampton, three from Bournemouth, two from West Brom (!) and six from Crystal Palace.

He has plenty of failings, but selecting players from a wide range of clubs isn't one of them. 

I’ll phrase it differently then. Failing to notice players who play for other clubs as quickly as he “notices” then playing for bigger clubs

On 07/03/2024 at 13:18, Talldarkandransome said:

I'll wet myself if United snap him up, would literally be the funniest appointment ever

Redcafe is going to be a fun read 🤣

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

You want to read comments on here about Konsa from a couple of years ago :D 

You usually tell us we are wrong on here (as fans) are you now suggesting the fans are right?

Â