Gareth Southgate

Richard

1 minute ago, Rds1983 said:

He'll give them 10 or 15 minutes at the end of a game, then say they didn't do anything and never pick them again.

And a mixture of blatantly obvious talent landing in his lap

He's not exactly a genius for giving debuts to saka, rice, foden, Bellingham and Grealish 

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

They did say last night he's now given 60 players an England debut which does feel pretty nuts and goes against the idea that he has his favourites (which he quite obviously does) 

I found an article and some of them are wild

Nathaniel Chalobah, Harry Winks, Michael Keane, Jack Cork, Alex McCarthy, Lewis Cook, Solanke, Maitland Niles, Coady, Ben Godfrey, Sam Johnstone, Bamford, Kyke Walker Peters, Tyriek Mitchell

7 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Honestly, I detest this manager. Why not start Konsa and Watkins if qualification is already achieved. It was the perfect setting to see what they could add to this England team, instead, we get the usual suspects. It was dreadful football and many of us know deep down, come the Euros, as soon as the pressure ramps up, once again, we'll fall short. 

He probably will mid-week, Give his favourites a longer rest for the club games at the weekend. 

Wouldn't surprise me if he's got a WhatsApp group with Fergi, Pep, Klopp Et al. 

The fartbox tongue punching wammel  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I found an article and some of them are wild

Nathaniel Chalobah, Harry Winks, Michael Keane, Jack Cork, Alex McCarthy, Lewis Cook, Solanke, Maitland Niles, Coady, Ben Godfrey, Sam Johnstone, Bamford, Kyke Walker Peters, Tyriek Mitchell

Without confirming, that feels like a list of England U21's that he's given a treat to as reward for going through the levels. 

He was calling trash like that up instead of Grealish and Mings. 

Have the public finally turned yet? Don't do no VT social media so no idea what the Twitterarti and Facebook brigade are saying. 

Have The Sun merged a vegetable into his head? 

Just now, sidcow said:

Have the public finally turned yet? Don't do no VT social media so no idea what the Twitterarti and Facebook brigade are saying. 

BBC during the game were praising the performance as if England were cruising past Germany while the Guardian have an article as to why TAA should play midfield in the summer after last nights showing

So probably not 😝

• Like 1

Yeah I'd say pundits and commentary are still sickeningly sweet on him but then the remit for England always seems to be overly positive, newspapers from what I've seen are turning in general with then actual journalists and article writers long gone, football fans have gone but then there's the huge floating fan base who watch England every 2 years who can't see past the final and semi final, there's too many fans who aren't overly invested and see his brilliant looking Wikipedia page and give the old "he's better than what we had before" 

On the face of it there is no denying it appears Southgate has done very well. Certainly if we just look at where we got to in tournaments. Semi final of world cup, final of euros, quarter final of world cup. It is strange then that I'd imagine less than 10% of football supporters would want him managing their club, certainly at Prem league level. I certainly wouldn't want him managing Villa.

He has had some unbelievable talent to pick from but I think where he has done well is that he has brought together some great players and got them in the main to get on and not have any dressing room cliques/avoided any club cliques. Better managers than him have also had some great players to choose from but have failed due to not getting players to gel. You only have to listen to the likes of Ferdinand and Lampard talk to realise that. 

Where he is massively found wanting though is tactically. He has been very fortunate with the draws we have had in every tournament he has been to but whenever we have faced a team on paper as good as us we have fallen short, often well short. As England manager 95%+ of the time other sides you face will be inferior. It is in the games where you face a side on your level where a manager will then need to really show his worth.

As a club manager he'd regularly be up against teams on paper as good as his sides, and depending on who he managed may well often face sides on paper better than his. He wouldn't last 5 minutes in that environment again which is why most supporters wouldn't want him anywhere near their club.

I expect the same outcome at the euros next year as we have seen in all the tournaments he has taken us to. We'll get as far as the draw dictates because as soon as we face a side on our level we'll be out. 

I am sure in 10, 20, 30 years time some will look back and think what a great job he did, looking purely at his record. Those of us who lived it though will know that it was just another case of another England manager having a great group of players and falling short. This time not because he couldn't manage the egos and get them to gel but because on the few occasions it got tough he was found wanting tactically. 

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Vancvillan said:

For all the gs apologists I have one question - if he quits at the end of the season, which prem team's fans will welcome him with open arms as their new manager?

I honestly can't think of a single place where he'd been seen as am upgrade.

Not even Luton!

Mr excuses isnt he. Playing lots of games, injuries, players out of position.  

Lets play devils advocate for a minute.  In 7 years he has taken us to a semi and a final. Brought players together and bonded. No cliques any more. 

So they know now how close they have been in that semi and that final. And what is required. The elite mentality needed. 

And we get these type of performances. They come from the manager. After 7 years you need to have your players all in. You know them well enough to hammer them for such poor performances. And they should respect you enough to know that they should get hamnered when they don't perform. 

It just feels like everyone is going through the motions now at England

lets remember.... Ferguson Wenger Klopp Pep. Massive personalities that could manage clubs for long periods of time. Not because they are nice. But because they are brutal.  They know when to cut someone loose. No matter how good they have been in the past. 

If u manage a team for 7 years then u cannot be the agreeable nice personality that Southgate suggests he has. 

You need to be absolutely ruthless and constantly demanding. 

4 hours ago, sidcow said:

He’s already merged a penis on for a nose! 

I do get the sense that the general public are becoming bored with his brand of football. England have been booed off at Wembley recently too. 

The general consensus at my workplace (a real mix of club fans) is Southgate is wasting this generation of players and many don’t bother watching the games either. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

He’s already merged a penis on for a nose! 

I do get the sense that the general public are becoming bored with his brand of football. England have been booed off at Wembley recently too. 

The general consensus at my workplace (a real mix of club fans) is Southgate is wasting this generation of players and many don’t bother watching the games either. 

John Holmes' 

I watched 20 minutes and annoyed at myself for doing so.

utter utter garbage served up with him charge.

The selection favouritism is now beyond parody and it’s almost like he’s picking Maguire to take the piss.

I cannot wait for his tenure to be over - just a shame we have another wasted tournament before then as we’re winning absolute nothing playing like we are. 

• Like 1

7 years, an apart from maybe getting the team to laugh and joke playing a game of darts, (although i even find it hard to credit him this, times have changed), he has not made the team any better than his first year.

If success is the end game, I'm sure after the Euros, (his last game hopefully), for me, he will be judged as a failier, no one can really argue with that.

The next manager will have to coach his diabolical defensive tactics out the team before he even starts.

My interest in International football has been waning for years now, but Southgate has compounded my disinterest. I did watch the Malta game, due to the wife been out and I could listen to some tunes while it was on in the background. It was an awful performance. I did not watch last night & I didn't care. And this isn't isolated to the fact that they were dead rubbers, I did watch the Euro final 3 years ago, but I didn't watch any of the group games, and in the last World cup I did watch some of the England games but certainly not all. He is such a non-entity at a manager, he really has no idea in true British coach style, and having Emery as our manager only highlights the difference between a top quality manager and Southgate. Anyway he isn't going anywhere before this competition and I expect him to leave after it, so one way or another this era is coming to an end.

Saw some football bible Facebook thing call him out so went to read the comments.... He still has support out there, seems like there's a lot of fans still basing their opinion of him around the last 20 years and his tournament record and regarding him as good

Â