Gareth Southgate

Richard

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

I think the main issue is that Henderson’s best days are well behind him. Hogging a place in the squad makes no sense.

I do think the point a poster made on a previous page (sorry, can't be arsed to check who it was) that not picking him would have been a disincentive to others thinking about taking the Saudi coin (and hence playing in a less competitive league) was a good one as well. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

I think the main issue is that Henderson’s best days are well behind him. Hogging a place in the squad makes no sense.

But his response is largely about trying to talk about football decisions but instead being asked about politics.

I’d have a degree more sympathy if he hadn’t made a stance before on taking the knee or trying and ultimately not taking a stance in Qatar.

But now he’s answering like this is all unfair and why should I expect to answer these sorts of questions I’ve expressed no political opinion whatsoever.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CarryOnVilla said:

What a shit show of a selection. 

Gareth has his boys and he will not deviate from them. It’s more amazing he hasn’t included Mason Mount in this selection. 

Watkins, Konsa, Bowen, Ward Prowse, Pope and Sterling all must be scratching their heads and looking at their family trees right now 

I didn't even realise that Pope wasn't in the squad until saw this, just presumed that he was in there! Seriously team is shocking for every reason every other person.

Genuinely not bothered about England for a long time, he is just a disappointment and poor manager; he is just there because he doesn't cause issue and England should cake walk the qualifiers. He just doesn't have any tactical nuance or ability when coming up against a competent team. 

The squad he has named is utterly predictable. What has Maguire got to do to get dropped? Run over southgate's dog?

The same old same old and as for selecting Pickford .....

Dreadful manager, risk adverse.....Safegate really is the right name for this idiot

The selection of Phillips tells us all that you need o know about Southgate. His justification for selecting him is that Phillips is one of a few players that play in that double pivot and there aren't many players behind him doing it at other clubs. Which is absolutely fair enough. Which should also scream out to any coach or manager that you have to adapt your system to suit the players that you do have, not shoehorn everyone into the one style that you have that has had no success anywhere, and where his rigidity shines a light squarely on him. 

Quite simply, if you don't have the players for the double pivot, don't play it. In the middle of the midfield we have Rice, Bellingham, Henderson (for now), Mount to come back at some point you'd think (unless he's on a Dele Alli spiral), Maddison, Gallagher (whether you like him or not), Ward-Prowse, and so on (that's not discounting Ramsey but he's injured and has yet to be capped). So the alternative options are there. That he wants to think of just his system first, which is one of trying not lose shows that he is rigid and scared to go for it on the pitch. He is a lsoer as a player, as a club manager, and now as an international manager. Why he is still in a job is beyond me. 

He solely has cost England the chance to win some trophies.

One of the worst managers you'll ever see. He will never manager anyone again.

Relegated with Boro. Failure and dogshit football with the best England crop of players...ever?

Nice that everyone else now sees through his BS along with Villa fans.

1 minute ago, Newry_Villan said:

Did he really leave on such bad terms that he has bitterness towards us? I remember him leaving but not how or why.

All I remember is that he thought he was better than us and then ended up at Middlesbrough because nobody decent wanted him. Good enough for the prick. 

Edited by villa89
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, villa89 said:

All I remember is that he thought he was better than us and then ended up at Middlesbrough because nobody decent wanted him. Good enough for the prick. 

Yea I remember him saying he wanted to win trophies but I was like 9 or 10 so memory is a bit hazy lol

2 hours ago, rbcuk said:

Can’t stand Southgate, how on earth does maguire get picked played 0mins for utd, same goes for Philips at city and Henderson in that league, sooner he gets the boot the better

Maguire and Phillips have both not kicked a ball this season and if you look back at it most of last season too and both clubs look to use anybody but them including in maguire a case a left back in his position that’s how bad the clubs think these players are. Not Southgate no he has them straight in and the guy from the shepherd headers league as well. Pathetic 

1 minute ago, Newry_Villan said:

Yea I remember him saying he wanted to win trophies but I was like 9 or 10 so memory is a bit hazy lol

My guess (and it is a guess) is that retrospectively he may feel like he should have won more, achieved more and perhaps he resents that he spent his best years here “only” winning a single Coca Cola cup.

Added to that, when he did leave it wasn’t to a club which he might have felt could deliver these achievements but to a midtable Middlesbrough side which perhaps compounded that ill feeling.

Basically I think he’d have been ok with being at us for a few years not winning much. I think he’d have been ok at boro for a few years not winning stuff. But not both.

All of that and he’s not really revered here. He’s obviously behind McGrath, for other reasons Ugo is held to a higher regard, Alan Wright is thought of affectionately. Southgate who probably was the leader of that back line, not held in such high esteem.

Not sure about boro, him getting them relegated probably soured their thoughts on him. So not many medals and not a massive fan favourite. He possibly feels he deserved more.

Again. All guesswork. 

26 minutes ago, villa89 said:

What it was is he thought he was great then ehiogu left and he was shite so had to team up with him again 

I had no problem with that decision, it was Doug Ellis era, and he wanted more ambition, I think the previous year we rejected bids from Chelsea. Then Boro, who were a club apparently on the way up came in for him. In his defence he did then win another cup and reached a european final with Boro I tihnk, which was more than he achieved at Villa. I was gutted when we lost both him and Ugo but having a grudge over players leaving is **** weird. I mean, for the first year or two after they move fair game to give players stick, a bit of banter, but beyond that, grow up. 

Plenty of other reasons to beat Southgate with mind :D 

Edited by Rodders
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, cyrusr said:

I didn't even realise that Pope wasn't in the squad until saw this, just presumed that he was in there! Seriously team is shocking for every reason every other person.

Genuinely not bothered about England for a long time, he is just a disappointment and poor manager; he is just there because he doesn't cause issue and England should cake walk the qualifiers. He just doesn't have any tactical nuance or ability when coming up against a competent team. 

Imagine being a goalie in a team that qualifies for champions league and seeing a keeper that stayed up by a point and another keeper that has played 10 premier league games in the past 2 years picked ahead of you. 

The guy is just trolling now. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Newry_Villan said:

Did he really leave on such bad terms that he has bitterness towards us? I remember him leaving but not how or why.

I don’t think it’s anything to do with Villa. He’s just a very poor manager with a massive job. To be fair one that no other top manager wants.

Â