Gareth Southgate

Richard

Just now, Zatman said:

Loves Palace and hates Villa

3 Palace players

Well he's used to playing and manager lower clubs isn't he?! Shite at Boro, ex-Palace academy player. I'm sure had Boro got up he'd had called up half a dozen of their players. He's not even hiding where his club football as a player biasedness is. Thing is, he was a bang average journeyman midfielder til Sir Brian changed his game. He's never been grateful or complimentary about the role we, and Sir Brian in particular, had on his career. He also benefitted by, like Ugo, learning from playing alongside a divine deity.

47 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

This thread is always so funny when a squad is selected . . . what squad would *not* lead to an avalanche of 'what a clown' comments?

I know you've become one of the only voices on VT that highlights the positives of Southgate's reign. The overwhelming majority of us are sick of him as England manager.

But can you honestly make an argument that Phillips deserves to be in the squad? I know Maguire played well for England about 6 years ago but he can't even get into the starting eleven of his own team. Should he really be in there?

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

This thread is always so funny when a squad is selected . . . what squad would *not* lead to an avalanche of 'what a clown' comments?

I can the point but you have to admit he does make it very easy to be critical of him. He calls up players that you'd struggle to justify a position to all the time, and ignores others for seemingly no reason.

Phillips is a laughable inclusion. A player who must be in the bottom 10% of English midfielders for time on the pitch this season, called up. Maguire, a laughing stock whose club resurgence nicely correlates with him not playing, straight in. Gallagher, hardly setting the world alight in the worst Chelsea team in a generation, call up. Henderson, clearly in the twilight of his career and never really been the greatest midfielder in England history, totally pointless call up.

Eze is remarkably lucky he's in fantastic form to pinch a cap off Mount. And it's miraculous that Sterling has been dropped. Neither should be a shock, but Southgate is so beholden to his favourites you can't help it. Dunk and Mings you suspect got a call because Dier, James and Chillwell have been dreadful/injured for so long that he needed to bolster the defenders and he'd run out of right backs to call up.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I know you've become one of the only voices on VT that highlights the positives of Southgate's reign. The overwhelming majority of us are sick of him as England manager.

But can you honestly make an argument that Phillips deserves to be in the squad? I know Maguire played well for England about 6 years ago but he can't even get into the starting eleven of his own team. Should he really be in there?

I'm not going to defend it to the hilt, because if it was me I would probably not have picked Phillips. But I don't think it's that important. At the end of the day, Southgate likes to have a core group of players - something sort of approximating a club squad in its consistency from window to window - and I think he sees value in that in terms of building rapport and understanding with and between the players. So does Phillips 'deserve' it based on this season? Obviously not. But Southgate doesn't primarily pick players on form, so he would probably reject the premise of the question, and would instead point out that when Phillips is fit and playing consistently he's one of the best English central midfielders. I can accept that. 

I suspect he won't get many minutes, the point is in being there. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm not going to defend it to the hilt, because if it was me I would probably not have picked Phillips. But I don't think it's that important. At the end of the day, Southgate likes to have a core group of players - something sort of approximating a club squad in its consistency from window to window - and I think he sees value in that in terms of building rapport and understanding with and between the players. So does Phillips 'deserve' it based on this season? Obviously not. But Southgate doesn't primarily pick players on form, so he would probably reject the premise of the question, and would instead point out that when Phillips is fit and playing consistently he's one of the best English central midfielders. I can accept that. 

I suspect he won't get many minutes, the point is in being there. 

Does the same go for Maguire though? because even when fit and playing he is at best a mid-table defender.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, a-k said:

He’s right though.

I mean how has punishing people ever helped them?  What we should be doing is starting a kitty for him to help pay his gambling debts.

While we’re at it, maybe we should be setting free all the paedos we got locked up.  Maybe give them a job at the local primary schools to help rehabilitate them.

What an utter tool.

• Haha 1

There's been too much about Toney in the presser. All it needed is - "he is not available for selection, and we will reavaluate in the future".

He is banned for wrong doing. Don't advertise that as the talking point of a national team. Especially one that prides itself in justice causes. 

Southgate is not the brightest. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

There's been too much about Toney in the presser. All it needed is - "he is not available for selection, and we will reavaluate in the future".

He is banned for wrong doing. Don't advertise that as the talking point of a national team. Especially one that prides itself in justice causes. 

If he was a 50 cap player it would be slightly understandable but has played about 15 minutes for England and a squad player is even too generous

• Like 1

Yeah, it's not sour grapes about Watkins or anything, Toney has had a bloody good season and he'd deserve to be in the squad, but considering how far Southgate has gone to not talk about player sin the squad before, he really did seem to go out of his way to tickle Toney's balls, it struck me as very odd. He barely gave the guy a look in when he had the chance, but now he's got all the time in the world for him and wants him to know he can play in the Euros. He's only 2 years younger than Kane so it's not even like he's "one for the future"

Edited by Davkaus

55 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Even more since he started off by saying "I'm not sure if I'm even allowed to talk about if, if not then ban me not him"

Muppet

It was unusual to see him not do his usual thing of veering off to discuss someone else he loves when asked about any player, ala question on Grealish, talks about Mason Mount.

He couldn't get his tongue further up Toney's arse.

Â