January 2017 transfer window

Jareth

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Hmm how reliable is this? Usually twitter stuff I ignore

This is the guy I was on about the other day. Hes the only one I listen to and had a 100% record in the summer

Edit: he said last week that nothing will happen until the middle of this week while everyone else was tweeting that the Lansbury deal would be done within 48 hours

Edited by Marley the Bognor Villan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Marley the Bognor Villan said:

This is the guy I was on about the other day. Hes the only one I listen to and had a 100% record in the summer

@TrentVilla thought you hated twitter :mrgreen:

I hope so. If it's for that young German we been linked with be very disappointing 

On Rhodes I would now play hardball with Boro as the urgency has decreased somewhat with the Bristol City game postponed. They can either accept a lower bid or pay the players wages for the next 6 months plus who they dont want there.

33 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I'd be content (if not happy) to do the second half of the season with:

Johnstone

Hutton.  Chester.  Baker.  Amavi

Adomah New CM New CM Grealish 

Kodjia/Ayew/McCormack/New ST

I'm not sure that's good enough for play offs, but it's a solid enough base to build on in the summer. 3 more would be minimum for me, 4 if we can replace Hutton fingers crossed.

This please.

260489c51b8e8da2cf714f19f568931d.png

Obviously I'm not fully sure about the defensive capabilities of Lansbury or Hourihane but I'm led to believe Hourihane is well capable of it, so maybe drop him back a little and let him cover the miles.  We also have great options like Grealish and Ayew to come off the bench into a side that has a midfield.  That's just 2 signings and it transforms the team.  Not just the midfield.  It massively improves what is behind it and in front of it.  If he decides he also wants to bring in Rhodes then that's fine.  Although I suspect if Rhodes comes in then someone like Ayew will be going out.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

On Rhodes I would now play hardball with Boro as the urgency has decreased somewhat with the Bristol City game postponed. They can either accept a lower bid or pay the players wages for the next 6 months plus who they dont want there.

I agree. For me bid 7m with few adds on like gols scored if they reject it we go elsewhere. No way should we pay 10m flat out for him. We should have said 10m for rudy in that case.

1 hour ago, weedman said:

Absolutely, our mistake was allowing the squad to get to a point where it needed the overhaul 2 years running (thanks Randy).  

Well thats where we are, so not doing it "Right" means we'll "half-rebuild" and fail EVERY season.

Unfortunately you need to get lucky for that to work, very lucky, and we didn't. The rebuild was necessary this summer as a result but we don't need it now. We have some good players and we need to supplement them and replace a few of the weaker players (midfielders) with better ones now. 

Luck or bad choice?

So lets limp through this season and slowly kill the enthusiasm held by our best players risking them wanted to leave in the summer.

Imagine bids coming in for Chester, Baker, Amavi, Adomah, Ayew & Kodjia.

Who from those would stay?

I've seen lists where people say we need 2 x CB, 1 x LB, 1 x RB, 1 x GK, 3 x CM, 2 x LW, 1 x RW and 1 ST to compete. It's madness. We have a nucleus of a decent team now, we need a few to supplement and improve upon it, then same again in the summer, then same again next Jan etc until we are where we want to be. Full squad overhauls don't work. We've seen it first hand 

Madness?

Players never get injured or have their heads turned do they.

So what happens when SJ, Chester, Baker or Kodjia are out for 4+ games or a last day of the window bid comes in from a PL team?

We're F****d

we'd ve back to Bunn, Hutton, Richards @ the back - Gardwood in MF & Gaby up top

I'm glad you're not running ny company

When I take on a work/project contract. I budget for Backup hardware, I over-man my staff (someone always gets sick-leave) and have a "transport" back up option at the ready.

Why would a football club want to be anything else but prepared to use a plan b or c?

But hey we can wait, take it slow, stand and watch whilst the rest take over us.

We really do need a squad rebuild

58 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Hmm how reliable is this? Usually twitter stuff I ignore

The guy is very reliable - never wrong yet - as soon as he knows the name for tomorrows medical he will post it - 100% on the money all the way so far . 

47 minutes ago, BOF said:

This please.

260489c51b8e8da2cf714f19f568931d.png

Obviously I'm not fully sure about the defensive capabilities of Lansbury or Hourihane but I'm led to believe Hourihane is well capable of it, so maybe drop him back a little and let him cover the miles.  We also have great options like Grealish and Ayew to come off the bench into a side that has a midfield.  That's just 2 signings and it transforms the team.  Not just the midfield.  It massively improves what is behind it and in front of it.  If he decides he also wants to bring in Rhodes then that's fine.  Although I suspect if Rhodes comes in then someone like Ayew will be going out.

Agree apart from McCormack on the left, he is shite in that position, I'd rather have Grealish in there TBH.

• Like 1

Just now, Dr_Pangloss said:

Agree apart from McCormack on the left, he is shite in that position, I'd rather have Grealish in there TBH.

Agreed.

Although, depending on whether or not he wants to be here, I'd rather start with Ayew.