January 2017 transfer window

Jareth

7 minutes ago, villarocker said:

How many players are essential this window now that we've lost our left back cover? Surely a minimum of 2cm's, 1lb and additional striker support?

I reckon 2x CM, 1xLM are the essentials. Striker and a Right Back would be nice. All 5 if we're serious about hitting the playoffs. That would still leave the need for better or better cover everywhere but at least we might find an 11 that competes.

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Personally I'd rather give Calder a go as backup left back for the season and use money on midfielders and a striker

I agree. Literally can't be worse than Cissokho with the ball at least.

It's pretty well reported that Boro would not sell Rhodes until they signed another striker, so there was no way in hell they were going to sell him and leave themselves with two strikers.

Not sure why we didn't use the same logic though.

Edited by Ponky

5 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

The worrying thing about the potential Rhodes signing is that it screams reactive. If we outlined our intentions to sign him from the start we should have made that clear when they wanted the Totem Pole.

Maybe we did.  We [the fans] are going by what appears in the newspapers and online.  We do know Bruce tried to sign Rhodes twice in the past, so it's not that reactive.

• Like 1

Rhodes just seems like a really shortsighted answer to our problems, and I'm sure Steve Bruce isn't that naïve. 

I suppose it's one of those times when things don't happen in order, if we'd already signed Landsbury, Hourihane and Bree then Rhodes wouldn't seem so odd. 

Fwiw I think Rhodes could be very good for us, but he alone is not the answer to our current issues.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BOF said:

Maybe we did.  We [the fans] are going by what appears in the newspapers and online.  We do know Bruce tried to sign Rhodes twice in the past, so it's not that reactive.

We're going off what we know. The rest is conjecture I agree.

If we were interested in Rhodes from the start it would have made more sense to leverage Gestede rather than sell him for £6m and them ask for £12m

If we can bring in Lansbury and Hourihane to supply Kodjia, McCormack and Rhodes there really should be no excuse for us to not be challenging next season.

We still need to sort the fullback situation out (and another CB) but I think that can wait until the summer.

Edited by jacketspuds
Fat fingers
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, VILLAMARV said:

Normally weedman I'd be liking that for being so pragmatic :)

However we're not in the same situation as Spurs then by a long way. Normally you are right. In our instance there was nothing to transition from.

Absolutely, our mistake was allowing the squad to get to a point where it needed the overhaul 2 years running (thanks Randy). Unfortunately you need to get lucky for that to work, very lucky, and we didn't. The rebuild was necessary this summer as a result but we don't need it now. We have some good players and we need to supplement them and replace a few of the weaker players (midfielders) with better ones now. 

I've seen lists where people say we need 2 x CB, 1 x LB, 1 x RB, 1 x GK, 3 x CM, 2 x LW, 1 x RW and 1 ST to compete. It's madness. We have a nucleus of a decent team now, we need a few to supplement and improve upon it, then same again in the summer, then same again next Jan etc until we are where we want to be. Full squad overhauls don't work. We've seen it first hand 

• Like 1

I'd be content (if not happy) to do the second half of the season with:

Johnstone

Hutton.  Chester.  Baker.  Amavi

Adomah New CM New CM Grealish 

Kodjia/Ayew/McCormack/New ST

I'm not sure that's good enough for play offs, but it's a solid enough base to build on in the summer. 3 more would be minimum for me, 4 if we can replace Hutton fingers crossed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I'd be content (if not happy) to do the second half of the season with:

Johnstone

Hutton.  Chester.  Baker.  Amavi

Adomah New CM New CM Grealish 

Kodjia/Ayew/McCormack/New ST

I'm not sure that's good enough for play offs, but it's a solid enough base to build on in the summer. 3 more would be minimum for me, 4 if we can replace Hutton fingers crossed.

Injury or suspension at the back and we will drop points though!

2 minutes ago, weedman said:

Absolutely, our mistake was allowing the squad to get to a point where it needed the overhaul 2 years running (thanks Randy). Unfortunately you need to get lucky for that to work, very lucky, and we didn't. The rebuild was necessary this summer as a result but we don't need it now. We have some good players and we need to supplement them and replace a few of the weaker players (midfielders) with better ones now.

I've seen lists where people say we need 2 x CB, 1 x LB, 1 x RB, 1 x GK, 3 x CM, 2 x LW, 1 x RW and 1 ST to compete. It's madness. We have a nucleus of a decent team now, we need a few to supplement and improve upon it, then same again in the summer, then same again next Jan etc until we are where we want to be. Full squad overhauls don't work. We've seen it first hand 

We do have a nucleus now you're right. I'd argue we didn't do enough this summer. But as I said at the time we shipped out a lot more than I thought possible. So I don't hold it against them. as you say it should never have got to this point but it did and that's not DrX, Bruce or RDM's fault. I'd say that list up there is not far off what we need for a decent squad but January is never the time for that sort of influx or outflux of players. We might yet see 4/5 ins/outs which for Jan i'd say is pretty remarkable. I still think we need a massive overhaul in the summer again before we start along the path of thinking one or two additions per window will do it though. There is a lot of money being spent on little or no return and it has to stop. We don't need to be getting on their backs for not sorting it out in the last two weeks though, or the next two. I'm not sure if some people have realistic expectations though.

If we're not up there next year challenging for the title in the Championship I'll be screaming I'm sure, but I always felt we'd need 3 windows to sort this mess out and this is No. 2. If we can muster a challenge for the playoffs this year I'll be well pleased, That some people expect it or come out with things like 'Bruce will be sacked if we don't make the top 6' is baffling to me.

• Like 1

Not many big clubs have signed players. Obviously players are keeping their options. Of we sign Rhodes before a few midfielders then so be it. There's no way we won't sign at least one midfielder.