Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

13 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

TBH I think he was just looking for a way to say something negative about Steve Bruce, like everybody else in this thread.

Is there anything positive to say about Bruce in this thread? Ratings & Reactions threads? Promotion charge thread? or is it all in the winning streak thread? and Top of the League thread? 

Edited by Grasshopper
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, mykeyb said:

Didn't work out last season though

At xmas though we were just off the top 6 and right in the mix - it was what happened after that that saw up drift well away from the pack and Bruce cannot be excused blame for that - he knew kodija was going and signed hogan on deadline day leaving us relying on the hapless gabby , besides bringing in a nervous keeper  who took time to adapt .

9 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

Is there anything positive to say about Bruce in this thread? Ratings & Reactions threads? Promotion charge thread? or is it all in the winning streak thread? and Top of the League thread? 

There's not much positive to be said of Bruce at the moment.

But that doesn't translate to literally everything he does being the worst thing in the world. Which I'm guessing was Briny's point.

If he had roast chicken for dinner on Sunday then this thread would be slating him for not having Lamb.

Like I said, I'd be happy to see him go. but I hate the way VT turns on out of favour managers and players and loses all balance. Everything they do is wrong and it just makes the conversation ridiculous and impenetrable for anyone wanting to have a reasonable debate.

• Like 4

I don't think it's a massive issue but i can see why people are annoyed with his decision to go away. Firstly, after a terrible start to the season it doesn't look good and give the right impression off. 

There's also lots of work that i would imagine could be done during this period. Watching games over and over again to analyse team and individual performances, building a whole new coaching programme (as this one clearly doesn't work) working with and evaluating youth players, visiting other teams to view training methods and techniques etc..

But i get the impression Steve Bruce isn't someome dedicated to implementing a plan and style. More of a, well i've done it before so it will be fine kind of a guy. 

I seriosuly doubt that all championship managers have gone off on holiday during this break. Especially if their team is so far off the pace. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

But that doesn't translate to literally everything he does being the worst thing in the world. Which I'm guessing was Briny's point.

If he had roast chicken for dinner on Sunday then this thread would be slating him for not having Lamb.

Like I said, I'd be happy to see him go. but I hate the way VT turns on out of favour managers and players and loses all balance. Everything they do is wrong and it just makes the conversation ridiculous and impenetrable for anyone wanting to have a reasonable debate.

I'm one of those who believes that Steve Bruce is the problem, not the solution. I find it difficult if not impossible to find positive things to say about him as the manager of Villa.

This isn't personal, because I've always liked Steve as a bloke. He's a decent guy who seems to be well liked by people and that includes the players, media, and his peer group.

I believe that we have the players to get out of this league if the right manager were in charge. Steve Bruce is not the right manager and in my opinion never will be.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I'm one of those who believes that Steve Bruce is the problem, not the solution. I find it difficult if not impossible to find positive things to say about him as the manager of Villa.

This isn't personal, because I've always liked Steve as a bloke. He's a decent guy who seems to be well liked by people and that includes the players, media, and his peer group.

I believe that we have the players to get out of this league if the right manager were in charge. Steve Bruce is not the right manager and in my opinion never will be.

I agree with this 100%. And it doesn't contradict the point I made. Steve Bruce being the problem doesn't equate to everything he does is wrong.

I guess the only difference between us is there's still a nagging feeling in my mind that he could turn it around.

It's probably just blind hope, as I believe that's the best outcome for us. But it's there.

• Like 1

I can see both sides here. 

Bruce being on holiday when he's overseen a terrible first portion of the season is a bit of a kick in the teeth. Even if the players themselves are off on holiday surely there is something Bruce could be doing to try and fix his piss poor tactical decisions rather than topping up his tan? Maybe instead of being off in Portugal he should travel over to Munich to see how they get on with this stuff.  

For all I know though maybe he is in Portugal at a tactical conference rather than playing golf.

That being said, everyone needs a break, mentally and physically. I hope that when he returns from his break he is refreshed and his tactical brain farts have gone. That or he is shown the door very quickly.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I guess the only difference between us is there's still a nagging feeling in my mind that he could turn it around.

It's probably just blind hope, as I believe that's the best outcome for us. But it's there.

Pretty much where I am too.

A large part of me wants him gone before the next game, but I still have this slight hope he could turn it around. It's that, coupled with the worry of there being yet another upheaval a new manager might bring.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

Bruce being on holiday when he's overseen a terrible first portion of the season is a bit of a kick in the teeth. Even if the players themselves are off on holiday surely there is something Bruce could be doing to try and fix his piss poor tactical decisions rather than topping up his tan? Maybe instead of being off in Portugal he should travel over to Munich to see how they get on with this stuff.  

For all I know though maybe he is in Portugal at a tactical conference rather than playing golf.

That being said, everyone needs a break, mentally and physically. I hope that when he returns from his break he is refreshed and his tactical brain farts have gone. That or he is shown the door very quickly.

We all know how we should set up, we won two games on the bounce scoring 8 goals in the process. He needs to stick with that set up and forget about 3 at the back. The change to 3 at the back with Chester,Samba and Terry was one of the most mind boggling tactical decisions I have ever witnessed. You just knew Bristol would batter us as soon as the line up was announced, it seems Steve Bruce was the only person on the planet who thought that was a good idea. Hopefully he has learnt from that and will leave it alone moving forward but I doubt it.

• Like 1

I reckon we'll be really good again in the next home game.

But I think Bruce has built up away fixtures to be something they're not. He seems scared of them, as does the team.

If we had the balls to play an away fixture like it was a home fixture then I'm certain it would work.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Stevo - we dont quite see eye to eye on a number of things, but maybe there's hope for a bromance at some point when everything aligns. I dont think Bruce is our man and apart from your self admitted blind hope you tend to think so too.

I suppose the reason why there can be no "sensible/reasonable debate" is because of the facts of his tenure so far.

He had a very good start - 1 good run over 8/9 games - and 2 good games/results this season. The rest has simply not been good enough.

We ended up 13th last season, 18th atm and a number of contentious decisions (too many to mention) have given people more than enough ammunition to take shots at him.

If we'd have made the playoffs and/or gone up last year or were sitting well in the table as of now there wouldnt be much to debate. only handclapping and happy VTers.

So he only has himself to blame nice bloke or not.

I love both chicken & lamb, but if they gave me the shits or other ailments I'd soon cross them off the shopping list.

12 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

No personal insults from me, but I'll be quite harsh. I'm done with him. The man is just 'there', he has no bearing on how we play IMO. He is along for the ride with us instead of steering it.

Apart from signing players and picking the team, what does he do exactly?

He doesn't do the coaching, doesn't do tactics, clearly doesn't do analysis etc...

3 and a bit weeks the league has been going again for. Thats all. They've just had 2 months of privileged elite holidaying before returning to training, if we were further up the league and playing a decent brand of football I maybe wouldn't begrudge them another holiday despite only being back at work for just 3 sodding weeks.

Bruce SHOULD be at work with his staff trying to figure this out imo but then I guess when all you really do as a job outside the transfer window is show up on time to pick the team and sit in the dug out as a glorified spectator then a holiday isn't really going to put a spanner in his works is it. Its outside his remit I guess? Meh, my men, my assistants and the coaches will sort all that stuff out and let me know when I get back. 

Tony needs to get someone serious and committed to this job next. Someone who does the coaching, is eager to impress, is serious about conditioning/sports science/marginal gains etc..., the tactics and methods involved with playing different teams each week and how to adapt your own team to beat them, playing players in correct positions, identifying weaknesses and signing players to specifically fix them instead of just buying more bodies to shore up the squad. 

My feeling is that he has no idea what he is doing, is just pissing in the wind week from week and is hoping something clicks. We are a job that pays him but we annoyingly get in the way of living his life.  I really feel that if we go on a run then its more because the players will figure something out and dig us out mid match rather than because Bruce has given them some actual advice or direction. 

We aren't going anywhere while we employ staff that are half-arsed, winging it and if we are honest, uncommitted. 

Now I've said all this we will probably go and win every match left of course :D

Top post.

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

There's also lots of work that i would imagine could be done during this period. Watching games over and over again to analyse team and individual performances, building a whole new coaching programme (as this one clearly doesn't work) working with and evaluating youth players, visiting other teams to view training methods and techniques etc..

Maybe Bruce has a laptop and wifi connection over there. Maybe he has all the games on a USB drive and all he's doing is watching the games, over and over again. Maybe he specifically went there because he finds it a good spot to think, analyse stuff and collect his thoughts. 

Maybe he is starting to draw up a new coaching programme whilst he's there or watching a load of youth games on his USB stick. 

Or maybe he's just gone out there for some sun and a piss up. 

None of us know, which is why it's a pointless criticism. 

Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe
  • Like 4

55 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

We have completed just five league games and two cup games so far this season. The season is just getting under way, and along comes a two week international break.

This shouldn't be a signal for "a well earned holiday", it should be used as a period of intensive training to rectify our lack of fitness, and also incorporate intensive tactical familiarisation with our plan going forward (?). We should be straining at the leash by the time we play Brentford with their recently depleted team in just over a weeks time.

We have just six players away on international duty, which leaves us with a large squad doing very little at the moment. This is their job not a hobby, so they should be working hard to be the best that they can be on a daily basis.

There is obviously a lot that needs to be put right on the training pitch, if we are to compete against even some very average teams over the next few weeks and months. This two weeks "match" break should have been put to much better use.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Pretty much where I am too.

A large part of me wants him gone before the next game, but I still have this slight hope he could turn it around. It's that, coupled with the worry of there being yet another upheaval a new manager might bring.

Same as , I really can see a way of getting back up the table this month and Bruce has simply got to succeed in doing so or there can be no possible stay of execution of he fails .

In fact I do believe we will be back up near the top at the end of the month and with kodija coming back then who  knows, my fear  however is we will have a good September and a shit October when we have wolves and blues away and also Fulham at home . 

I have confidence bruce wIll get results In the short term but huge doubts as to whether he can sustain those results long term - last season we had 2 superb runs under him but then It all went tits up and we went on dreadful runs . 

• Like 2

Â