Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

Bottom of the form table for 2017 of all 92 league teams. Bruce has to wear that

Yeah, but promotions.

And in fairness if he gets us relegated this year (like his past of getting relegated) he has a better chance of getting us promoted next year. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

That wasn't what you said but OK.

Yes it was. McCormack wasn't known for being trouble when he arrived here, Bruce should have had to experience to get the best from him and Ayew too. Instead he's done the opposite. Amavi will be next

I think or at least hope a countdown has begun and Bruce has 5 games or less to turn things round.

Tuesday he needs to show everyone that he can utilise the expensively assembled talent he wanted... to play positively and to their strengths, not playing more and more defenders and hoofball.

If all fit he needs to just go back to 442 and play to the strengths of the team. I would prefer Green to Adomah but i think Adomah is more experienced at tracking back and supporting Bree. But we need full backs who support the defence not wing backs.

------------ Kodjia
------------ Hogan
Amavi --- Hourihane --- Lansbury --- Adomah

Taylor --- Baker --- Chester --- Bree

----------- Johnstone

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Ha Ranieri out!!

I know several Leicester fans that have thought that for a while. They were top of 6 month form table before he took over iirc. He inherited a good team and the loss of Kante has been massive

4 hours ago, Mantis said:

There clearly are though. The manager is a factor of course but I don't think it's one or the other.

I don't think the mental issues are with this particular group of players per se but I do think we've been weak and in decline for so long that it "infects" new players. We've been one of the most mentally weak and fragile teams in the football league for years.

The only constant is us fans. We expect better and have zero patience with low standards. This tells. 

12 hours ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Oh okay, good idea, let's do that then. Hang on though, what if appointing 'the right one' doesn't work immediately though?

Should we get angry, frustrated and sack him in 5 months too, despite the fact we were all sure he was progressive and a much better fit than Bruce?

Ok, yeah, let's do it right now. No time to waste. Can't take this pain any more, we absolutely have to have new hope immediately.

Well hopefully, if as you point out, we ALL agree that he is more progressive than Bruce then we will see some form of improvement within 5 months.

That's the thing here.... nobody wants Bruce gone because we're not knocking down the doors the champions league. People want Bruce gone because the 5 months under him have been as bad as the utter turd we've put up with for 5/6 years...... and if anything, it's getting worse. 

Hire the right man and things will improve. Keep making bizarre appointments (eg garde, Rdm) or hiring managers who are terrified of defeat (mcleish and bruce) and we will continue to be dished up this crap.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

Hire the right man and things will improve. Keep making bizarre appointments (eg garde, Rdm) or hiring managers who are terrified of defeat (mcleish and bruce) and we will continue to be dished up this crap.

The right man at the right time, that is. When Garde was appointed you may say that it was a bizarre appointment, given the obvious us vs them split in the dressing room. Dutch manager / Italian / Spanish / Scandinavian / Russian / etc might have a chance at unifying the dressing room. A Frenchman without any January backing was doomed to fail.

I believe Garde - if he was allowed to have a pre-season, decent transfer backing and no Villa history whatsoever - might be a good appointment. However, that ship has sailed. He's spoiled goods, now.

• Like 4

I get the stability situation. I really do.. but we cant just keep guys in for too long (Paul Lambert) for stability reasons. He has to be the right one. 

Is Bruce the right one? hard to tell. We cant sack him now. At the end of the season.. possibly. Depends how we end the season. To stick with a manager.. we need some sort of positive potential.. unfortunately i havent seen that in a long long time. To be honest.. at least with RDM.. we were actually playing pretty well.. just not hanging on to leads. I thought it may come.. although he missed a huge problem to fix ie the midfield when he should have addressed it. Less said the better for last seasons managers.. although Garde i thought was hard done by... he came in and picked the right teams/tactics.. just had an awful bunch of players who didnt want to listen to a foreign manager. Lot of bad apples.

Bruce.. if we finish the season with 6-7 wins.. then yes.. we can build on that for next year.. but if we go close to relegation or god forbid get relegated.. and play this awful football with awful tactics/team selections/formations that is currently present.. then he has to go.

I do feel for him as he seems a great guy.. and his record speaks for itself in this division. I just wonder whether the job is too big for him.. he did say its the biggest club hes managed.. hes never had this pressure before. Hes tried this 5-3-2 formation and it doesnt appear to be working.. to me it looks like hes already given up on it by his recent comments.. so hopefully a switch to 442 or 433 again.. we may see better results/performances. 

I hope he can turn it around.. we really do need the stability but not if hes the right one for Aston Villa. 

45 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Have I been transported to some sort of alternative reality where Sherwood never came to Villa and kamikaze'd a season in the space of 3 months?

Lol. If hypothetically Sherwood was never appointed before and was appointed when Bruce was, I think we would've been in the play off places.

Edited by Tommo_b

Â