Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

9 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Never understood why that matters. We had an ex blues player who later signed for Villa and became an absolute legend of the club

The blues thing has always been a ready made excuse since he used it at Sunderland when it was going badly

Dont think anybody gave Jota abuse because he played for blues 

15 minutes ago, Genie said:

Bruce did have to deal with both of his parents dying as well as being called everything under the sun by our fans.

That was a horrible time for him I dont remember him getting abuse about that or the time. The fanbase turned on Bruce after playoff final when the club showed it was built on a house of cards

If i remember also he was the one who started the jibes at the fans not the otherway around because he heard some grumbling

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

If i remember also he was the one who started the jibes at the fans not the otherway around because he heard some grumbling

His jibe that so many took offence to was that the win would “shut a few Villa fans up” so it was clearly in response to how he felt he was being treated.

He also made a comment that a different result would stop the fans being hysterical for a little while (or words to that affect).

This was 6/7 months after his Dad died and about 3 months after his mum died. He still turned up to every game.

34 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Never understood why that matters. We had an ex blues player who later signed for Villa and became an absolute legend of the club

Yep, and my perceptions of Bruce now are obviously more favourable than the majority, it seems, so whilst it bothered me at the point we hired him I didn’t become so entrenched in it that I couldn’t change my mind.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Zatman said:

That was a horrible time for him I dont remember him getting abuse about that or the time. The fanbase turned on Bruce after playoff final when the club showed it was built on a house of cards

He started taking shots at fans at the beginning of the 17/18 season when we started poorly and got absolutely bummed by Cardiff and a couple of other teams (I think QPR or Reading was one of them). Off the back of finishing 13th, and getting 1 point from 3 to start the season. Hardly the platform to start giving it the big 'un. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

getting 1 point from 3 to start the season. Hardly the platform to start giving it the big 'un. 

That’ll be the season we got to the play off final? I think the point he was making was that 3 games into the season wasn’t time to panic.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

That’ll be the season we got to the play off final? I think the point he was making was that 3 games into the season wasn’t time to panic.

He just completely rejected criticism. The game against Cardiff was no joke top 5 worst performances I've seen from Villa. There was genuine cause for concern, such as uh, why were we playing Scott Hogan as a target man? To respond to that by calling these criticisms "nonsense" and that he "laughs at them" was an early teaser of his arrogance and reluctance to accept any form of criticism.

• Like 2

The defining photo

_97820018_sbluck.jpg

And defining quote from Bruce in September 2017

"I've heard I'm a dinosaur. But I've been promoted twice in the five years," Bruce told BBC WM. "If I go, who are they going to get who's any better?"

"Is that the fix? Off with my head, then someone else comes in and changes everything again?

"This team came in either last Christmas or this summer and people are judging them on six months. That's not long enough."

8 points in 8 games was shocking. The rot had long been there. Criticisms came long before his parents sadly died. He was just abrasive and arrogant, I never warmed to him.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

Sorry but everything you’ve written there except for the first seven words is completely wide of the mark.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Genie said:

Bruce did have to deal with both of his parents dying as well as being called everything under the sun by our fans.

He got minimal criticism at games until the very end. Comparing again with McLeish, Lambert, take your pick, they had months and months of fan unrest. It only started when Bruce put us back in the position we were in when he arrived.

Bruce was inventing it before it was there. Or going looking for it. We know his children sit and scour the internet for jabs at him and report back. If he's going looking online he's only got himself to blame, I could go and find Liverpool fans criticising Klopp right now if I wanted.

"If I go, who are they going to get who's any better?" is probably one of my favourite quotes in football. What an arrogant arsehole.

Newcastle the biggest game of the season for me while he's there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

He got minimal criticism at games until the very end.

That wasn’t the case I’m afraid. I just flicked through this thread mid September (just before that “defining photo” link was from) and there were dozens and dozens of posts wanting him sacked and slagging him off. Im not saying people were wrong to have those opinions, just that we can’t rewrite history now saying things that were going on weren’t.

A tiny selection below. I think of a lot of the personal attack posts have been removed because there are posts alluding to them being out of order but they are not visible.

On 13/09/2017 at 19:26, Zatman said:

Hands down for me the worst manager in my lifetime late 80s. absolute awful and other managers are getting sacked for less

On 13/09/2017 at 22:31, flashingqwerty said:

Should have been sscked in february.

On 13/09/2017 at 17:48, Newry_Villan said:

I'm now awake and he hasn't been sacked. Great. 

On 13/09/2017 at 14:28, jacketspuds said:

I just think Bruce's methods are outdated.

On 13/09/2017 at 13:27, AshVilla said:

It's laughable he's still here it really is.

On 13/09/2017 at 13:48, Folski said:

How does he still have a job?

Edited by Genie

13 minutes ago, Genie said:

That wasn’t the case I’m afraid. I just flicked through this thread mid September (just before that “defining photo” link was from) and there were dozens and dozens of posts wanting him sacked and slagging him off. Im not saying people were wrong to have those opinions, just that we can’t rewrite history now saying things that were going on weren’t.

A tiny selection below. I think of a lot of the personal attack posts have been removed because there are posts alluding to them being out of order but they are not visible.

Struggling to see how a few quotes from on here disprove the post you’ve quoted saying he got minimal criticism at games.

Oh and no posts were removed because of comments made about Bruce.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Struggling to see how a few quotes from on here disprove the post you’ve quoted saying he got minimal criticism at games.

Oh and no posts were removed because of comments made about Bruce.

Could be 2 distinct sets of people. Those in the ground not saying a word  (just trowing the occasional vegetable), and Bruce coincidentally made the whole thing up and those slating him online but I doubt it.

On 13/09/2017 at 09:20, sheepyvillian said:

I think you have a point . As you may know , I haven't been Bruce's greatest fan from day one of his appointment , but some of the vitriol being let off towards him on this thread is , imo , quite scary .

On 13/09/2017 at 09:31, Vive_La_Villa said:

I agree there is no need for the personal insults. 

Maybe they are further back than I looked but I know the kind of thing that would have been written at the time and I couldn't see them. 

Edited by Genie

That season I sat 3 rows behind the dugout attending every game. Until cabbage gate I heard one voice shout abuse at Bruce and that was the season prior if I recall correctly.

He received nothing but warmth everytime he made his way to that dugout.

Anyway, 2500 pages. Strap yourselves in boys.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

As has been said, at games it was minimal.

He was looking for criticism so he could try and turn the media onto the fans instead of himself.

I'm honestly stunned he's got decent jobs at Wednesday and Newcastle after Villa. The pattern repeats everywhere. Admittedly he walked out on Wednesday before the Bruce scenario played itself. They hate him for a different reason.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Could be 2 distinct sets of people. Those in the ground not saying a word  (just trowing the occasional vegetable), and Bruce coincidentally made the whole thing up and those slating him online but I doubt it.

Maybe they are further back than I looked but I know the kind of thing that would have been written at the time and I couldn't see them. 

The point is the post you responded to said minimal criticism in the ground at a particular point in time. You then quoted posts from this thread which as I said don’t contradict the point you were countering. There isn’t really any debate to be had about that.

Who knows if the people who posted them were attending games at the time or not, or others who posted similar but it’s irrelevant really. Even if they were it doesn’t detract from the fact at the time in ground criticism was pretty light.

Re posts, possibly I don’t know but we wouldn’t remove posts about Bruce or any other member of the club because they were critical or even abusive as it wouldn’t be against site rules. Again though even if there were abusive posts about him it doesn’t relate to what was happening in the ground at the time.

Â