Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Steve Bruce isn't a bad manager. If he had a striker like Tammy he would 100 % have got us promoted.

That 3rd season wasn't great but it's easy to forget we were only 2 pts off 6th after his last game. Still, it was just an end of a cycle and we needed someone fresh with new ideas. Players didn't look inspired at the end of his reign.

Edited by villalad21

On 27/05/2018 at 00:08, Tomaszk said:

"They could have played all day and still not scored"

When in fact, we're seat of pants and could concede at any moment because we've never got the bleeding ball.

Our players are plenty good enough, just setup negativity.

He's had his chance with one of the best squads the league has ever seen and failed to get promotion. I don't think he'll do better with the worse one we'll have next year.

Time for a change. Hope you give the next guy the support you give Steve! Manager's dream you ?

😂😂😂😂 

From just after the playoff final defeat to Fulham. A post in reply to TRO

The answer is an emphatic no, despite achieving what Bruce couldn't

@TRO

Just an insight into the impressions you were giving off then against now. And why there are frustrations at it.

Edited by Mjvilla
  • Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 06/07/2020 at 10:37, villalad21 said:

Steve Bruce isn't a bad manager. If he had a striker like Tammy he would 100 % have got us promoted.

That 3rd season wasn't great but it's easy to forget we were only 2 pts off 6th after his last game. Still, it was just an end of a cycle and we needed someone fresh with new ideas. Players didn't look inspired at the end of his reign.

Did he not have tammy?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You’re right. He just needed a 20 goal striker and we could have gone up.

image.thumb.jpeg.7432a13b2c4030c17a225af264fdbfe2.jpeg

Maybe he needed a winger that could have a combined goals and assists total of over 20. 
image.jpeg.1816aedd61cc4a616bd92f78382dfeae.jpeg

Two of these and he would have had an even better chance:

image.jpeg.df4f18bef0677122e582ac4bbb5fe21c.jpeg

Yeah but he still didn’t have the best player in the league at his disposal.

spacer.png

This is all attacking players. He didn’t have a top defender or leader in the team!

spacer.png

You’re right. Bruce had it tough. 

Oi.

He had to beg borrow and steal pal and you know it.

• Like 1

Just now, bannedfromHandV said:

Yep, he inherited a massive wage bill too.

He came into a good situation. Of course it was built on a house of cards, but we didn't know that yet :lol:

Honestly I'm surprised fans of other teams weren't/aren't taking the mick out of us for the fact that Cardiff got promoted ahead of us in 2nd while we were adding to our already strong squad with the likes of Terry and Snodgrass (and Elmo and Whelan). In hindsight, I'm glad we didn't get promoted...but we really should have. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

As time goes on, the more stupid I think it is that Bruce got so much credit for ‘stopping the rot’ at Villa.

Yes, we could have been another Sunderland. As any relegated team could be. But in hindsight, with the money we spent and the players we had at the time, I feel like getting that team to stop losing and to start getting a few draws and wins was pretty basic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Rob182 said:

As time goes on, the more stupid I think it is that Bruce got so much credit for ‘stopping the rot’ at Villa.

Yes, we could have been another Sunderland. As any relegated team could be. But in hindsight, with the money we spent and the players we had at the time, I feel like getting that team to stop losing and to start getting a few draws and wins was pretty basic.

Agreed. I actually think RDM would have probably seen us around 13th in the end. 

I think he gets credit because those that for some reason loved him as manager here, have literally nothing else that they could possibly turn into a positive. 

The guy did a poor job in the end and if it wasn't for Dean Smith, i think many would look much more unfavourably at Bruce and what he did here. Without that miracle promotion, I dread to think the state we'd be in right now. 

• Like 4

Â