Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

The claim that he saved us from relegation/stopped the rot is and quite frankly always has been absolute and utter BS which originally dripped from the mouth of Bruce.

It was just one of a number of pieces of absolute bull that came from him and then was repeated by the media and lapped up by some of our fans such as that he wasn't backed and the whole Blues thing and him not being accepted.

I must have imagined our relegation and subsequent 1 win in 11 games.

I’ve probably imagined all the examples of big clubs going south from the championship too.

Did he ride in on a white horse and save the day entirely - no, because that’s stupid, but he did contribute to a turnaround in our fortunes irrespective of how much you appear to not want that to be true.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I’ve probably imagined all the examples of big clubs going south from the championship too.

Did he ride in on a white horse and save the day entirely - no, because that’s stupid, but he did contribute to a turnaround in our fortunes irrespective of how much you appear to not want that to be true.

I've not said he didn't contribute.

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Agreed. I actually think RDM would have probably seen us around 13th in the end. 

I think he gets credit because those that for some reason loved him as manager here, have literally nothing else that they could possibly turn into a positive. 

The guy did a poor job in the end and if it wasn't for Dean Smith, i think many would look much more unfavourably at Bruce and what he did here. Without that miracle promotion, I dread to think the state we'd be in right now. 

I agree with you, except for that I actually think that RDM could have sent us down. But that, to me, doesn’t make Bruce a better manager, it was just that RDM was completely out of his depth and couldn’t get a tune out of the players.

I genuinely think we could have brought in any number of unspectacular managers that could have ‘stopped the rot’ that Bruce achieved.

Simon Grayson, Alan Curbishley, Tony Mowbray and Phil Brown are four names completely off the top of my head, that I think could have managed us better than RDM and avoided the slow decline down the table.

32 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I agree with you, except for that I actually think that RDM could have sent us down. But that, to me, doesn’t make Bruce a better manager, it was just that RDM was completely out of his depth and couldn’t get a tune out of the players.

I genuinely think we could have brought in any number of unspectacular managers that could have ‘stopped the rot’ that Bruce achieved.

Simon Grayson, Alan Curbishley, Tony Mowbray and Phil Brown are four names completely off the top of my head, that I think could have managed us better than RDM and avoided the slow decline down the table.

I agree. The rot had been stopped by virtue of the players we had signed who were more than good enough to keep us in the league with a capable manager, its just RDM wasn't a capable manager.

I think crediting Bruce with stopping the rot/keeping us up is OTT we were nothing like Sunderland.

4 hours ago, Keyblade said:

As inept as RDM was, I don't think he would have got us relegated after 46 games. Our players were too good. We were actually playing good football under him, just couldn't close out games.

Yeah, we actually dominated a few of those early games, we just couldn't get a result. I remember Huddersfield at home, we should have been 4 up at ht. 

I don't think he was a decent manager, but with those players I think 13th in the championship would have been achievable. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, villaglint said:

I read that review of his novel Striker yesterday and it has made me want to own it very badly. 

Cheapest I've seen it so far is £500 on eBay. 

I dont want it that badly. 

The podcast Quickly Kevin Will He Score have done podcasts on all three of his books and they are amazing. Nearly drove off the road I was laughing so much!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Yay, with the best backing and biggest club in the Championship he managed to achieve the bare minimum that would be expected of any competent manager.

Wonderful 🙄

On 23/10/2016 at 18:17, Woodytom said:

How is that wrong? We 'missed' two sitters. Not sure what they have to do with anything?

Our inability to be clinical in front of goal only supports the debate that we will struggle to win games with 30% possession. More of the ball gives us more chance to create and ultimately more chance to score. 

Going through this thread is fun. The tone really changed over the years. I like this one in particular. Sometimes I wish you could go back in time, but you can only tell one person one thing. I'd go back to this post and be like, "what if I told you we will beat the reigning champions of England 7-2 with 25% of the ball in a few years?"

loop explain GIF

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

RDM sacked - After 1 win in 11 games and on 10 points from 11 games and 19th in the table.

Bruce sacked - After 1 win in 10 games and on 15 points from 11 games and 12th in the table.

Now given the time and considerable backing and resources he was given, despite his claims otherwise, it would seek any rot he stopped had set right back in.

Love the replies of hopefully the media call him out on it 

I've seen 1 journo call him out on it, the lady when he was at Sunderland 10 years ago

The man's a fraud, perfect for him up there, Bruce can blame Ashley, Ashley can blame Bruce, everyone can blame Joelinton 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I'm sure he will get a result soon and shut some people up.

You're reading direct from his playbook.

A result wont shut them up as they watch their team so know how dire they are 90% of the time regardless of lucky results.

They had something like 3 shots on target 3 goals in their first 3 games and 1 was a penalty. That've over half their points this season and they are conceding on average 17 shots a game.

Â