Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

36 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

When he talked about laughing at fans and their nonsense or asking who we'd get that was better than him, he wasn't talking about VillaRockerDude69 on Villatalk.com calling him Potato Face, but the fact that people were questioning the teams' performances and whether he was the right man for the job. Bringing up "abuse" which came from very small sections of the supporters, mostly concentrated online, is really just a red herring. 

Yep if Dean Smith popped online for the last 18 months he would have been better off giving up on football and opening a florist

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Genie said:

If he’s aware of people calling him a dinosaur online as he stated in an interview then he’s probably aware of people calling him the a w***** and c*** etc in threads like this one. It might have added to his reasoning as to why he wanted to “shut a few people up”. He was wrong to do it and should have kept his mouth shut as I said before.

He didn’t just decide one day to start a feud with the Villa supporters.

Sorry but that just doesn’t make sense.

If he was aware of the abuse and that was what he was responding to then I don’t see why he would think beating Rotherham would “shut people up”. That totally lacks logic.

It wasn’t about abuse it was about people questioning his ability, which he is particularly spikey about perhaps because deep down he knows his limitations and there is a large degree of truth in the criticisms levelled about him.

Bruce simply can’t take criticism, he has reacted to it throughout his managerial career and is doing so again now at Newcastle. In fact I can’t think of another manager who is so reactive.

5 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Sorry but that just doesn’t make sense.

If he was aware of the abuse and that was what he was responding to then I don’t see why he would think beating Rotherham would “shut people up”. That totally lacks logic.

It wasn’t about abuse it was about people questioning his ability, which he is particularly spikey about perhaps because deep down he knows his limitations and there is a large degree of truth in the criticisms levelled about him.

Bruce simply can’t take criticism, he has reacted to it throughout his managerial career and is doing so again now at Newcastle. In fact I can’t think of another manager who is so reactive.

He specifically said it was about being called a dinosaur, as I wrote in the quoted post. 
If he wasn’t also called the most offensive terms we have in the English language alongside the comments about his performance he may not have bitten. 

Either way, as you say, he was reacting to comments people had made about him which some people deny ever happened.

When he said, "who do they think they can get that's better", did he mean "who can they get who is not an asshole/bellend/insert insult here" or "who can they get who is a better manager"? Therein lies the clue to what he was responding to.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Are you surprised that managers are aware of fans views online or something?

I’d be surprised if Bruce knows how to use the Internet, so in a way yes. Although we know he gets his kids to go looking for any nuggets of criticism or abuse they can find.

Oh, hi Alex!

AbleSomberGuppy-size_restricted.gif

19 hours ago, Genie said:

These are all from just 1 page before your link @Keyblade. I don’t understand why people are trying to rewrite history. 

I was wondering why a 3 year old uote oif mine had been brought up again.

The quotes you selectively picked out were all as a result of an interview that had been linked on the page before, in which he'd criticised the fans by implying we'd all got carried away by the signing of John Terry.  I do however, still think he was a twot.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Genie said:

These are all from just 1 page before your link @Keyblade. I don’t understand why people are trying to rewrite history. 

I was wondering why a 3 year old quote of mine had been brought up again.

The quotes you selectively picked out were all as a result of an interview that had been linked on the page before, in which he'd criticised the fans by implying we'd all got carried away by the signing of John Terry.  I do however, still think he was a twot.

• Like 2

I'd have thought it was more likely the other social media platforms that he picked up the negativity towards him than here as they're more public.  As Zatman said, Dean also got dog's abuse last season despite saving the club by getting us promoted earlier than planned, thus gave himself a tough job to do with a brand new squad, got us to a Cup final, lost his Dad along the way and is a true Villan.  He never commented on it, either because he has a thicker skin or he just didn't go looking for negativity.  I still think some of the stuff about Dean was more outrageous and I genuinely hate a certain type of poster on here who are negative probably because their lives are so miserable and this is their best outlet.

Bruce started turning round the juggernaut that was Villa's demise so I'll be thankful for that but I really don't like his football and deserved the sack.  

Edited by sharkyvilla
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I'd have thought it was more likely the other social media platforms that he picked up the negativity towards him than here as they're more public.  As Zatman said, Dean also got dog's abuse last season despite saving the club by getting us promoted earlier than planned, thus gave himself a tough job to do with a brand new squad, got us to a Cup final, lost his Dad along the way and is a true Villan.  He never commented on it, either because he has a thicker skin or he just didn't go looking for negativity.  I still think some of the stuff about Dean was more outrageous and I genuinely hate a certain type of poster on here who are negative probably because their lives are so miserable and this is their best outlet.

Bruce started turning round the juggernaut that was Villa's demise so I'll be thankful for that but I really don't like his football and deserved the sack.  

Facebook in particular is a cesspool. I remember during the Houllier days when I was on there it was unbearable. Absolute dogs abuse, not even a few months into his reign. A lot of xenophobia about the French too. Really nasty stuff. But I mean if you're looking for stuff on there then I don't know what to say, give your head a wobble. You're a millionaire football manager, why bother yourself with what some peons are saying about you. Dean has the right idea, like during the last press conference when he said he doesn't even check social media and has the media guy at the club update him if it's anything significant. (this was when asked about Villa fans' excitement about our good start mind you!).

20 hours ago, Genie said:

He specifically said it was about being called a dinosaur, as I wrote in the quoted post. 
If he wasn’t also called the most offensive terms we have in the English language alongside the comments about his performance he may not have bitten. 

Either way, as you say, he was reacting to comments people had made about him which some people deny ever happened.

I don’t agree but will leave it there.

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Him having 1000 more pages means he is a better manager than Dean Smith

He once thought mile jedinak could be converted into a centre back. I wont go into the details regarding the bloodbath that ensued after that particular brainwave. 

Â