Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

12 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Slashed the budget with JT and Snoddy on £60k a week.

SLASHED.

Ridiculous article

Hogan, lansbury, bree, bolasie, bjarnosson, all signed for millions and he was slashing the budget....

Edited by Jimzk5

1 minute ago, Jimzk5 said:

Ridiculous article

Hogqn, , bjarneosson,  signed for millions and he was slashing the budget....

Exactly, and where are Hogqn and Bjarneosson now? It's almost like they never existed.

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, kurtsimonw said:

Exactly, and where are Hogqn and Bjarneosson now? It's almost like they never existed.

Can't help having fat fingers using a small phone

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

Where does this idea that people "support Bruce no matter what" come from?

I supported Bruce as Villa manager... but I wasn't exactly delighted with the appointment, I didn't expect the football to be enjoyable - and it wasn't. I wasn't convinced he'd take us up. I think he's very limited as a manager, and I believed the decision to let him go was correct.

But message boards are for debate. If I disagree with something, especially when it's hyperbole, then why wouldn't I post my view? I don't think he left Sheff Wed in the right way, but he would have been criticised regardless of how he left the club. 

You personally are pretty fair and balanced in your view. Some posters seem to defend him like he’s a relative or something and like to constantly point out that those that criticise him on a Steve Bruce thread are ‘obsessed’. 

Anyway anyone know how the Newcastle fans have reacted to his appointment? If it hasn’t been positive then this is has disaster written all over it.  It’s probably the most bizarre appointment since Mcliesh in my opinion. 

• Like 1

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Anyway anyone know how the Newcastle fans have reacted to his appointment? If it hasn’t been positive then this is has disaster written all over it.  It’s probably the most bizarre appointment since Mcliesh in my opinion. 

I've not seen a single Newcastle fan behind it, it's quite a hatred too, not just run of the mill disappointment. It's even worse when he's succeeding someone that the fans loved.

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

So are we now denying that there were financial difficulties here during his tenure?

I'd like to say you couldn't make it up but that's exactly what is happening.

Haha brilliant. 

The guy gave bolassie £80,000 a week so he could get fit. And you're going to argue he faced financial difficulties. 

Classic. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

I've not seen a single Newcastle fan behind it, it's quite a hatred too, not just run of the mill disappointment. It's even worse when he's succeeding someone that the fans loved.

9 supporter groups have joined together to release an open letter opposing this appointment. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Slashed the budget with JT and Snoddy on £60k a week.

SLASHED.

Slashed the budget also implies losing good players. Which stand out players did we have to sell to slash the budget? 

3 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

So are we now denying that there were financial difficulties here during his tenure?

I'd like to say you couldn't make it up but that's exactly what is happening.

For a brief period in summer 2018, yes. A bit of turbulence that was resolved in time for him to sign Yannick Bolasie on a reported 80k/w.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

He’s got balls to take the job I give him that. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

9 supporter groups have joined together to release an open letter opposing this appointment. 

He will win the first two, lose the next three, draw a couple and lose the next one.

Newcastle will finish 15th and no one will care in June 2020. 

Isn't that the best they can hope for anyway?

When we had financial problems and Bruce said he would stick around I think many fans were relieved. We were in a mess and the last thing we needed was more change. 

Once the takeover happened nobody felt Bruce was the right guy and I think even he knew that he was on borrowed time. Owners didn’t seem to want to sack him without giving him a chance and there was no way (understandably) he was going to resign. 

In hindsight as soon as the takeover happened he should have been replaced.

5 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

For a brief period in summer 2018, yes. A bit of turbulence that was resolved in time for him to sign Yannick Bolasie on a reported 80k/w.

And pay wages to el ghazi, tuanzebe and abraham. Oh the pain of it. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jimzk5 said:

Ridiculous article

Hogan, lansbury, bree, bolasie, bjarnosson, all signed for millions and he was slashing the budget....

It seems the article was comparing him managing Aston Villa in the championship with what he could expect if managing Aston Villa in the PL. And that he was somehow unaware of this when he joined the club.

Personally, I never really hated him, never really wanted him, but supported him. I thought he should have gone having failed so miserably at Wembley, but he definitely had to go when he did last season. And then some bloke came in, with the same players and budget (albeit shifting out Bolaise and bringing in some defenders instead) and got us up. Which Bruce couldn't.

When will football owners, pundits and journo's realise that there is a crop of talented managers in our country who aren't 'names', and a bunch of shit managers who are 'names' and keep getting pedalled about? If Deano, or Eddie Howe or Dyche had done with their clubs in Spain or Italy, they would be in a top job in England by now!

Anyway - congratulations Brucey; you've done something I thought you never could. Made me feel sorry for Newcastle fans.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You personally are pretty fair and balanced in your view. Some posters seem to defend him like he’s a relative or something and like to constantly point out that those that criticise him on a Steve Bruce thread are ‘obsessed’. 

#BruceOut was trending on Twitter earlier. The Titanic had a better start.

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

And pay wages to el ghazi, tuanzebe and abraham. Oh the pain of it. 

The financial issues lasted what, all of 3 weeks? He was whining about a lack of money well before summer 2018 anyway.

One thing is for certain, "cash-strapped" is definitely one way you would not describe Aston Villa and our 3 year stay in the Championship.

The article says “his unhappy time at cash strapped Villa”, and there’s quote about worries of people not being paid. 

Yes, that happened. It was a terrible time. I am sorry Steve that you had those testing few weeks to endure.

But the article makes it sound like it was like that his entire time here. I would genuinely like to know how Bolton supporters would view that article knowing that paupers Aston Villa were soon able to pay £70/80 grand a week to Bolasie, having already spent several million on Bree and barely played him...we all know the various examples that can be listed.

There are valid points from the more pro Bruce voices, some of them well reasoned, but this is exactly the kind of shit that gets churned out that his detractors point to when they say his media pals come to the rescue.

Edited by Shropshire Lad
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

“There is a huge challenge ahead of us, but it’s one that my staff and I are ready for.

Inspiring first words from the manager there. From the David Moyes school of motivation.

We’ll roll our sleeves up

:crylaugh:You couldn't write this stuff.

Oh wait, you don't ever need to write these tired, sad, cringe-inducing Bruceism cliches because the absolute utter word removed will utter them at absolutely every opportunity.

• Haha 3

Â