Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

He'd have got us up automatically with players like Grealish.

I think had Grealish been fit all season Bruce would probs have got us up too - I am pretty convinced the Bruce era at villa has ended 

• Like 1

I think Steve Bruce is similar to Neil Warnock and they both arrived at their respective clubs at the same time.

but the  interesting thing to to me is one was under no pressure for promotion and the other was, to the point that if he failed it has been mooted that he had to go.

• as a direct consequence, we went for Players with low fee's  or loans but with the exception Of Hogan, but High wages, the trade off was a gamble on age, stamina and pace.
  • Cardiff went for Free's in the way of Sol Bamba ,Junior Hoilett and Jamie Ward Swap only spending money on Gary Madine..... very little in the way of change to playing staff.

I think it is fair to say the brunt of the team was already there when Neil got there, so he just had to work his magic....in his words he said they needed him more than he needed them...There really was nothing to lose.

The interesting thing for me is The stats they created despite us finishing on the same goal difference +30 and the 3 wins behind could have been QPR, Bolton & Norwich 16th, 21st and 14th respectively.

Their  stats that intrigued me was the following :

• Only Burton, Bolton & Millwall had a lower possession rate
  • Nobody played fewer passes in the league.
  • Nobody completed fewer passes
  • Nobody played fewer passes in the opposition half
  • But Nobody won more aerial duels
  • Nobody had more efforts on goal from set pieces
  • Only Bolton committed more fouls.

Now I am not professing any thing in conclusive evidence here just food for thought.....but while i was watching games all season, some of those stats dovetailed with my concerns about us.

Moving forward and taking our financial situation as a major piece of criteria.....I think with the right thinking we can cause a stir.

I have said in my previous posts too samey players, let me explain....some fans have said we was good enough to go up, I am not in dispute that the individual players was good enough, but you need blend and I don't think we had enough of that in this division.

You either have to approach it like Cardiff or Fulham and Wolves.....I think we was kinda, neither one thing or the other.

Neil Warnock, talks about that he  likes the "Muck & Nettles" of the Championship, despite him wanting another crack at the Prem.....maybe with the blind referree's of this division and bit more " Muck & Nettles is need from us to coin Neils phrase.

I would be interested to get Steve's take on it all.....I thought Steve bought some really good players, not sure some are right for this division though....I could be wrong, Warnock is looking at taking Grabban,according to some reports, be interesting to see how he plays under him, if its true.

In my view we have some very talented players around the club, just a bit of muscle in the right area's and we will be a different outfit.....more importantly don't always cost a lot of money either.

Edited by TRO

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think Steve Bruce is similar to Neil Warnock and they both arrived at their respective clubs at the same time.

but the  interesting thing to to me is one was under no pressure for promotion and the other was, to the point that if he failed it has been mooted that he had to go.

• as a direct consequence, we went for Players with low fee's  or loans but with the exception Of Hogan, but High wages, the trade off was a gamble on age, stamina and pace.
  • Cardiff went for Free's in the way of Sol Bamba ,Junior Hoilett and Jamie Ward Swap only spending money on Gary Madine..... very little in the way of change to playing staff.

I think it is fair to say the brunt of the team was already there when Neil got there, so he just had to work his magic....in his words he said they needed him more than he needed them...There really was nothing to lose.

The interesting thing for me is The stats they created despite us finishing on the same goal difference +30 and the 3 wins behind could have been QPR, Bolton & Norwich 16th, 21st and 14th respectively.

The stats that intrigued me was the following :

• Only Burton, Bolton & Millwall had a lower possession rate
  • Nobody played fewer passes in the league.
  • Nobody completed fewer passes
  • Nobody played fewer passes in the opposition half
  • But Nobody won more aerial duels
  • Nobody had more efforts on goal from set pieces
  • Only Bolton committed more fouls.

Now I am not professing any thing in conclusive evidence here just food for thought.....but while i was watching games all season, some of those stats dovetailed with my concerns about us.

Moving forward and taking our financial situation as a major piece of criteria.....I think with the right thinking we can cause a stir.

I have said in my previous posts too samey players, let me explain....some fans have said we was good enough to go up, I am not in dispute that the individual players was good enough, but you need blend and I don't think we had enough of that in this division.

You either have to approach it like Cardiff or Fulham and Wolves.....I think we was kinda, one thing or the other.

Neil Warnock, talks about that he  likes the "Muck & Nettles" of the Championship, despite him wanting another crack at the Prem.....maybe with the blind referree's of this division and bit more " Muck & Nettles is need from us to coin Neils phrase.

I would be interested to get Steve's take on it all.....I thought Steve bought some really good players, not sure some are right for this division though....I could be wrong, Warnock is looking at taking Grabban,according to some reports, be interesting to see how he plays under him, if its true.

In my view we have some very talented players around the club, just a bit of muscle in the right area's and we will be a different outfit.....more importantly don't always cost a lot of money either.

Cardiff where in the last year of their parachute money they were under pressure as well to a degree

Differance between Warnock and Bruce is Warnock brought in players to play as a unit and coached them as such .Bruce got the best individuals he could at high costs in fee's and wages and put them on a pitch and hoped they would find a way to win.15 odd players he brought in and still struggled to find a formula the got consistent results.

• Like 4

This reminds me of a potential "rowett leaves blose situation" fans didbt know what they and until he went. I think Bruce would get us competing for play offs. 

I worry who would we would go for tbh. For me if bruce is leaving try get fat Sam. If that is unworkable I think Neil Harris or Chris wilder. 

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

This reminds me of a potential "rowett leaves blose situation" fans didbt know what they and until he went. I think Bruce would get us competing for play offs. 

I worry who would we would go for tbh. For me if bruce is leaving try get fat Sam. If that is unworkable I think Neil Harris or Chris wilder. 

I agree with your second points if feasble I would go for Big Sam , not employed so no fee to pay if not I like Wilder who has done a great job at 3 clubs now.

3 minutes ago, Nabby said:

I agree with your second points if feasble I would go for Big Sam , not employed so no fee to pay if not I like Wilder who has done a great job at 3 clubs now.

Big Sam wouldn’t come here with big cuts  to be made and no money - he drove a hard bargain to go to Everton . 

Wilder a good suggestion though 

Just now, hippo said:

To me Bruce has been told the deal - (raise £45m and none of it gets spent on players ) - and Dr Tony has given him a little time to think about it.

Probably about  right but I think Bruce has probably  already decided it’s not happening .

he got close to success but now it needs a new strategy and hopefully we get the right man in .

Just been announced John Terry had been released and a 2nd announcement from Tony regarding effort etc but no mention of Bruce going. Also Bruce has just thanked Terry through a futher twitter release from the club

Safe to say Bruce is staying. 

Safe to say we aren't going up this coming season either

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Just been announced John Terry had been released and a 2nd announcement from Tony regarding effort etc but no mention of Bruce going. Also Bruce has just thanked Terry through a futher twitter release from the club

Maybe  Bruce is thinking things through - I just can’t see him staying under these constraints given the pressure at this club - he’d be on a hiding to nothing .

only right that he should thank JT . 

1 minute ago, Si. said:

Just seen a few rumours that he has/is going to resign..

I’d be astonished if he decided to stay - he can leave with his head held high and will get another club - maybe Leeds ?

stay with no money and huge cuts and it would end in tears and a bad way - best to go now with dignity intact . 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Nabby said:

Cardiff where in the last year of their parachute money they were under pressure as well to a degree

Differance between Warnock and Bruce is Warnock brought in players to play as a unit and coached them as such .Bruce got the best individuals he could at high costs in fee's and wages and put them on a pitch and hoped they would find a way to win.15 odd players he brought in and still struggled to find a formula the got consistent results.

Nabby, I can't argue with that....I can't comment on the coaching, because I am not privvy to what they do behind closed doors , if you read Warnocks books he does major on having the right players to do the job he wants....maybe he got lucky and most of his type was already there., whereas we still had the remnants of a questionable formula....but certainly a unit yes and certainly a blend ( whether the blend is to a fans satisfaction or not, but it was a blend).

I don't think their team was as good as ours individually, but collectively they got the job done.

9 minutes ago, Junxs said:

It might be the best view to take quite frankly, irrespective of who the managers is.

5 hours ago, TRO said:

Not sure what you mean?

but no team is without issues....I am just trying to observe or analyse for my sins.

constant criticism can be wearing and tedious....i go more for observations.

We had folk ridiculing us in the early eighties with our 110 % wortk rate Mantra and Ipswich the darlings of the first touch.....so football has changed they tell me.

Neil warnock the dinosaur has just got his lot up....its a throw away comment that is populist, but means nothing.he has a style he believes in and it works at this level.

In 1980 we had 2 dominant central defenders and one dominant centre forward.....thats where i think we have come up a bit short.....i think ours have been decent containers and have displayed some good work, but dominant particularly in the air, no not for me....and i think the inclusion of Jed has highlighted that.

a centre forward for me particulary at this level needs to physically work the centre halves....i haven't seen much of that....at this level, i like to see them that like heading the ball too.

but hey ho!......we all have our own idea's

I’ve been banging on about your point concerning handing the opposition the initiative all season.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

decent shout that.

• Like 1

Â