Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

6 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I think QPR is a big game for Bruce and a bit of a first test for him. After Tuesday he has to get a reaction from the players and a much improved performance. We have had a tough run of away games under him so far with everyone against teams in the top 8. The game Sunday though is against a side struggling having lost their last 4. It won’t be easy but there is no doubt that we have the far superior squad despite its obvious deficiencies and it is down to the manager to pick the players, get the best out of them and get three points.

We can’t rely on our home form if we are to mount a challenge for top 6. Come kick off on Sunday we could be 10 points adrift of sixth. We have to go all out for the three points as otherwise a good start under Bruce and increased optimism could soon diminish.

Mark, I have to be honest with you.....that Norwich game scared me ****less.

my interpretation was it was worse than has been reported and I think Steves face looked really concerned.

I never thought we could stoop that low under SB management

I am starting to lean towards not manager but player problems.....I think we buy the wrong types.

2 hours ago, vreitti said:

Agreed. In a way this is a 'make or break' kind of match for him. That's not to say we can't recover should we loose, but it's certainly not gonna be easy in that case. I fully expect to see a much rejuvenated side come out all guns blazing, and handily take home the 3 points. 

I am not really sure what I expect from the attitude of this modern day villa team.

while managers have a responsibility for preparing them.....they can't do it for them.

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

Mark, I have to be honest with you.....that Norwich game scared me ****less.

my interpretation was it was worse than has been reported and I think Steves face looked really concerned.

I never thought we could stoop that low under SB management

I am starting to lean towards not manager but player problems.....I think we buy the wrong types.

Sunday will tell us if it was just a one off or something more deep rooted to be concerned about.

We didn't perform well last week against Wigan, in fact you could say we haven't performed that well in a number of games under Bruce. One thing that hadn't been lacking though pre Norwich was a willingness from every player to put a real shift in and especially in the home games maintain a decent tempo and keep pushing right until the end of games. At Norwich though bar one or two players we looked like we couldn't be bothered.

I am not hitting the panic button but I certainly want to see a reaction on Sunday and a complete turnaround in terms of effort. Bruce can only realistically make 3 or 4 changes in January so he has to get the most out of the existing players which in fairness up until Tuesday I think he had been.

16 hours ago, TRO said:

But I can't remember a game in recent times  when we have had 3 midfielders "at it" at the same time.

I think that is a real problem.

it seems like they work in shifts," your turn to play today, I'll have the day off"

Yeah I see your point, only time I'e actually been impressed with how we were playing for ages was Brighton, especially second half.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

my interpretation was it was worse than has been reported

I genuinely think it was the worst performance I've ever seen from a villa side.

My opinion wasn't kneejerk the other night and the signs were there on Saturday in abundance. 

The new manager bounce has gone. That's all it was imo as it stands and yet again I'm wondering whether the football team I support is capable of performing the very basics of football skills. 

35 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

I genuinely think it was the worst performance I've ever seen from a villa side.

My opinion wasn't kneejerk the other night and the signs were there on Saturday in abundance. 

The new manager bounce has gone. That's all it was imo as it stands and yet again I'm wondering whether the football team I support is capable of performing the very basics of football skills. 

That new manager bounce which has been proven to be nonsense?

8 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

I'm not with you?

I may be wrong but I'm sure a few months back somebody posted an article that showed that the new manager bounce was worth something like 0.2 points more. I'll try and find it for you or maybe somebody with better detective skills could post here.

I may be talking bollocks but I'm pretty sure I read it on here.

14 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

I may be wrong but I'm sure a few months back somebody posted an article that showed that the new manager bounce was worth something like 0.2 points more. I'll try and find it for you or maybe somebody with better detective skills could post here.

I may be talking bollocks but I'm pretty sure I read it on here.

Obviously sometimes when new managers come into a club there is a sudden change in fortune. Not always, in fact it's probably no more than not... as your point suggests.

What I was suggesting is that Bruce happened to have a change in fortune and having seen the last few performances, I'm starting to think that it was very much just due to a change in approach/new face rather than some sustained difference. 

I wasn't over the moon with bruce's appointment but the guy (as a guy) has grown on me. I think he is probably the right man for a team wanting to challenge for promotion If the environment is correct. 

I don't fwiw, believe he is a man that can overturn this rotten environment that the club has endured for a number of years that has slowly started to creep back into performances. 

His choice to include gabby for example just proves that he is in no way shape or form going to change the attitude of this club quickly. 

I would suggest the performance against norwich would struggle to get into the top 5 of even our most recent performances which is more a comment on how poor we've been recently than it is a defence of the Norwich performance. 

Edited by sexbelowsound
  • Like 1

I think with Bruce's post match comments and Elphick's revelations that they didnt follow instructions alludes more to that the loss was due to poor attitudes rather than lack of ability. Yes, our players are not brilliant, but if you play with a crap attitude, it is going tyo be harder. If Ronaldo or Messi walked onto the pitch not really giving a stuff, then their performance would be a shadow of their ability. There are worse players out there who play with a good attitude, and end up punching above their weight. I hope Steve gets into their heads for future games, otherwise we are just making up the numbers.

21 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

Saw the Bradford game. That wasn't as bad. We at least had a few attempts and scored.

They were league 2 at the time and frankly outplayed us. It was really, really awful the other night and was one of the worst but wouldn't consider it the worst.

Â