Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

I am just amazed that hes getting wins with the calibre of players we have available in midfield. I cant blame RMC too much as the midfield just could not find him. They couldnt string 1-2 passes together.. its amazing how bad our midfield is.. and we are where we are due to this. RMC sides dominated as we had more attackers on who could hold the ball but couldnt protect a lead. 

I just hope Bruce signs TWO and not just one midfielder. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Here's a good way of putting things into perspective:

When Bruce first came in and we'd only won 1 in 11 (against the worst team in the league), what would people's reactions have been if somebody said we'd get 6 wins, 3 draws and 2 defeats in the next 11 games?

This would have been my reaction at the time

gcbQE.gif

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, KSV said:

I am just amazed that hes getting wins with the calibre of players we have available in midfield. I cant blame RMC too much as the midfield just could not find him. They couldnt string 1-2 passes together.. its amazing how bad our midfield is.. and we are where we are due to this. RMC sides dominated as we had more attackers on who could hold the ball but couldnt protect a lead. 

I just hope Bruce signs TWO and not just one midfielder. 

I hope he sells 2 and brings in 4

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

Here's a good way of putting things into perspective:

When Bruce first came in and we'd only won 1 in 11 (against the worst team in the league), what would people's reactions have been if somebody said we'd get 6 wins, 3 draws and 2 defeats in the next 11 games?

Good post.

Never thought I'd be agreeing with you as much as I have been :D

• Like 1

5 hours ago, StanBalaban said:

Just to add my thoughts on the Gabby thing, i can't help but feel that with Ayew, Kodjia and Adomah all away for the ACON, he's trying to give Gabby as much of an opportunity to get fit as he can, should be need a play a big role in January. 

This, squared.

Also, it shows Bruce is a man of his word, to fans and players alike. He said clean slate, and that's what it has been. To do otherwise when Gabby's kept his end of the bargain - by getting fit at least - would've been unwise and bad for morale. 

Is Gabby the future? Of course not. But he can help us now, and Bruce is enabling that. Fine management. 

• Like 1

On 16/12/2016 at 16:34, TRO said:

Mark, I have to be honest with you.....that Norwich game scared me ****less.

my interpretation was it was worse than has been reported and I think Steves face looked really concerned.

I never thought we could stoop that low under SB management

I am starting to lean towards not manager but player problems.....I think we buy the wrong types.

Surely that happens under every manager though?

We've had plenty of those in recent times of course but I always remember first game of 2009 season under MON. Home to Wigan and we were shambolic, could've easily lost that 6-0. Followed it with our best season in 16 years.

In a 46 season you'll always have a few lifeless games, Newcastle have had a couple this season.

Good response today anyway, hopefully we can reel off a winning run now with the fixtures we have coming up.

On 16/12/2016 at 17:42, Woodytom said:

I genuinely think it was the worst performance I've ever seen from a villa side.

My opinion wasn't kneejerk the other night and the signs were there on Saturday in abundance. 

The new manager bounce has gone. That's all it was imo as it stands and yet again I'm wondering whether the football team I support is capable of performing the very basics of football skills. 

Not even this season....Preston away was a disgrace from start to finish and thankfully saw the end of RDM.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Away leg?

I saw that too. That was shite but not as bad as the Norwich performance. Again we showed some form of attempt to score and indeed did score.

Ones to rival Norwich that I've seen are....

Bolton 0-2 league cup.

Swansea away last season 

When Lerner was throwing money at MON,  and we were finishing sixth,  people were complaining about the style of football that we were playing and even suggesting that maybe he should be replaced. 

The football since Bruce arrived as largely been unimpressive and so I believe that he's going to suffer the same as MON, in that fans will be divided because of the standard of football we are playing, even if it wins more than we lose. 

The football isn't pretty but we're winning more than losing and still on an upward curve. Also, we have to remember that Bruce has been here for less games than RDM and is working with other managers' signings. We need to at least give him the chance to see what football we produce when we has brought in his own players. As long as we keep up the points to games ratio he's got here I'll be happy. 

Edited by villarocker
  • Like 1

Performances are subjective, but Preston away was probably the worst performance I've ever seen from a Villa side live, and I had a season ticket for 15/16.

Then there was Luton. Norwich was bad, but it wasn't THAT bad in retrospect. Maybe I feel a little bit better about the whole thing, considering we won today. 

7 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

After Norwich I said I wanted him to go 4-4-2 with Bacuna and Adomah wide and McCormack in a two up top with Kodjia so obviously I can't complain at the personnel and formation. I think though unfortunately Bacuna not being a natural left sided player again meant having square pegs in round holes but due to the unbalanced squad he inherited it seems whatever formation he chooses someone will not be in their natural position.

I think it worked OK today and we were good value for the win and it may be that until reinforcements come in away from home this is the best way to go. McCormack was the biggest disappointment but Bruce can't be blamed for that as in a two I'd imagine everyone would have said he was the right choice. Bunn was a big call but today proved to be the right one. I also thought he got the substitutions spot on.

Overall 21 points from 11 games is a decent return especially when you consider the tough run of away games we had prior to today.

I think any point we get is a bonus out of this team....I don't like many of the players Mark.....irrespective of the formation. I wasn't impressed at all today....just glad of the 3 points.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Performances are subjective, but Preston away was probably the worst performance I've ever seen from a Villa side live, and I had a season ticket for 15/16.

Then there was Luton. Norwich was bad, but it wasn't THAT bad in retrospect. Maybe I feel a little bit better about the whole thing, considering we won today. 

wasn't some of the ones last season worse.....that was some season that was.

The big problem we've got is that we started the season with a bad/ unbalanced squad being badly managed, now we have a bad/ unbalanced squad being well managed. But to make any dent on the playoffs we either need to turn the bad/ unbalanced squad into a good/ balanced one or get Bruce to manage us exceptionally. Otherwise the gap is just too big.

We will not go up playing as we are as the results will not be consistent enough. We are currently fighting with one arm tied behind our backs, Bruce is doing a good job keeping us competitive but not an exceptional job in making us play well/ thrash teams. Either the squad needs improving or Bruce needs to hit upon the magic formula. And the most likely way we'll improve is with further investment in January.

Â