Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

6 hours ago, villalad21 said:

We are not saying Bruce out, we are simply concerned by the prospect of Bruce managing us in the pl.

I'll worry about that if/when we get there! If we are in the Premier League next year it'll need to be a different team anyway. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Xela said:

I think are you are exaggerating for effect. I agree that some of the games have been poor but yesterday was ok, as was the last league game against Bristol City. 

I recall you saying (i think - apologies if it wasn't you) that you liked Lambert. Yet in my eyes his 'style' was 100% more 'turgid' than Bruce. 

Have to agree ,  I thought it was a near perfect away display and restricted forest to one real effort on goal - we hit the bar and also forced a good save from their keeper and deserved to win by more in my opinion .

our away form is now very good and most of our remaining away games are against the lower teams - we are very much in with a real chance of 2nd place .

• Like 1

Good result, fair play SB got all his calls right yesterday and we are on a good run. Has Agnew been the influence that was needed in coaching set up maybe? Nothing will convince me SB is anything other than average manager but he is getting it right at the moment results wise (as he should be with the resources and squad he has).

5 minutes ago, honest_bertie said:

Has Agnew been the influence that was needed in coaching set up maybe? 

Possibly. Sometimes it helps to get a different pair of eyes on things and Agnew seems to have added something.

I'm surprised Phelan hasn't been appointed considering he worked with Bruce before. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

Maybe watching highlights packages or playing fifa would be a better form of entertainment? 

Football is sometimes boring because it's not an all action game, like basketball or ice hockey. It always has been this way and even the top teams in the world can be boring, let alone in the 2nd division. 

Excuse me - I am 55 years old and don't play FIFA.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Excuse me - I am 55 years old and don't play FIFA.

I know a lot of 55 year olds that play Fifa.

anyways onto Bruce happy for him three in the bounce and it shows he was RIGHtT playing a weakened team vs Peterborough as we were very very good yesterday.

Very solid performance again.

I have faith in Steve Bruce to get us into the a position where we can challenge for  automatic promotion right at the death.The squad is built to allow us to be consistent even when we have our two main players in one position (DMC) injured another comes off the bench and performs well.He has to get credit for this!

I fully understand those of you that don’t like his style of play,interesting to see tonight that Forest were more composed on the ball and kept it away from us at will.Not pretty to watch as a Villa fan,but they were really no threat to us!

I think it is this (the fact that we don’t LOOK like a good team) that creates the anti Bruce sentiment.

But the longer the season goes on the more solid we are.....UTV

Edited by MarkLillis

9 hours ago, briny_ear said:

I think really any objective observer would have to concede that Bruce is doing a bit better than “OK”?

With the resources and quality available to him since his appointment he’s falling below expectation hence Xia’s latest tweet.

21 minutes ago, striker said:

With the resources and quality available to him since his appointment he’s falling below expectation hence Xia’s latest tweet.

One more step. Keep going, lads! #UTV

This is the latest Xia tweet I can see. How does that indicate failed expectations?

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 2

I'm mostly on the Brence, but there's no doubting we're looking more effective now and beginning to put pressure on that 2nd spot. Great to see players come in and step up like Thor did - shows there's more confidence in the squad. Previously he'd have looked a bit nervy. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, rubberman said:

I'm mostly on the Brence, but there's no doubting we're looking more effective now and beginning to put pressure on that 2nd spot. Great to see players come in and step up like Thor did - shows there's more confidence in the squad. Previously he'd have looked a bit nervy. 

1 x like for you sir :) made me chuckle

15 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

Very solid performance again.

I have faith in Steve Bruce to get us into the a position where we can challenge for  automatic promotion right at the death.The squad is built to allow us to be consistent even when we have our two main players in one position (DMC) injured another comes off the bench and performs well.He has to get credit for this!

I fully understand those of you that don’t like his style of play,interesting to see tonight that Forest were more composed on the ball and kept it away from us at will.Not pretty to watch as a Villa fan,but they were really no threat to us!

I think it is this (the fact that we don’t LOOK like a good team) that creates the anti Bruce sentiment.

But the longer the season goes on the more solid we are.....UTV

For me anyway it has been obvious for some time that Thor could do a job at DM and I’ve continually posted as such. Much more energy than either Jedinak or Whelan and looks to pass forward to start attacks rather than play sideways or backwards. Do we praise Bruce for trying him there or do we criticise for not doing it sooner. Maybe it was the suggestion of the new coach? Whatever we wish to do I just hope Bruce has now recognised the impetus that Thor gives Villa in that position and doesn’t revert to Whelan or Jedinak over the next set of fixtures?

I actually thought the way Villa started the second half last night they would go on to score a second and maybe a third. It was obvious that every time a cross was put into the Forest box they didn’t know how to deal with it. However after that period Villa took the foot off the gas again and handed back the initiative to Forest. The team quite obviously has the ability to put teams to the sword with the result against Bristol City but choose not to. The worry is by doing that they could concede a late goal instead of going for the throat and turning three points into one.

I still feel Villa need to be more clinical whether that comes from Bruce being more adventurous or indeed the players to get that second spot. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

Have to agree ,  I thought it was a near perfect away display and restricted forest to one real effort on goal - we hit the bar and also forced a good save from their keeper and deserved to win by more in my opinion .

our away form is now very good and most of our remaining away games are against the lower teams - we are very much in with a real chance of 2nd place .

Yes. Any other team in world football would be perfectly happy with that. 

We went away, deserved to win and probably by more. Weathered a slight storm by the home team after going ahead then controlled the second half. 

How can anyone find a negative? 

1 hour ago, Xela said:

I think are you are exaggerating for effect. I agree that some of the games have been poor but yesterday was ok, as was the last league game against Bristol City. 

I recall you saying (i think - apologies if it wasn't you) that you liked Lambert. Yet in my eyes his 'style' was 100% more 'turgid' than Bruce. 

You are wrong but that's your view which you are perfectly entitled too - and I respect this  - clearly whilst not agreeing with you as for Lambert I do place a lot of my affinity for him based on the exciting team he created at Norwich - something I don't ever recall thinking about a Bruce team.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

I know a lot of 55 year olds that play Fifa.

anyways onto Bruce happy for him three in the bounce and it shows he was RIGHtT playing a weakened team vs Peterborough as we were very very good yesterday.

Very good - not sure about that - but good result agreed :-)

37 minutes ago, striker said:

For me anyway it has been obvious for some time that Thor could do a job at DM and I’ve continually posted as such. Much more energy than either Jedinak or Whelan and looks to pass forward to start attacks rather than play sideways or backwards. Do we praise Bruce for trying him there or do we criticise for not doing it sooner. Maybe it was the suggestion of the new coach? Whatever we wish to do I just hope Bruce has now recognised the impetus that Thor gives Villa in that position and doesn’t revert to Whelan or Jedinak over the next set of fixtures?

I actually thought the way Villa started the second half last night they would go on to score a second and maybe a third. It was obvious that every time a cross was put into the Forest box they didn’t know how to deal with it. However after that period Villa took the foot off the gas again and handed back the initiative to Forest. The team quite obviously has the ability to put teams to the sword with the result against Bristol City but choose not to. The worry is by doing that they could concede a late goal instead of going for the throat and turning three points into one.

I still feel Villa need to be more clinical whether that comes from Bruce being more adventurous or indeed the players to get that second spot. 

I was also impressed with bjarnasson yesterday in that role but I think jedinak has done a very good job for us there sonwhilst I concur with your thoughts on whelan I feel you are a tad harsh in jedinak . 

‘For me jedinak is the better defensive midfield but I’m happy for bjarmasson to cover the role .

‘Hang onto your hats the next 4 months could be exciting ;)

Bruce has turned it around but we cannot afford anymore bad spells - we must be on our game from here on. 

41 minutes ago, Dave J said:

You are wrong but that's your view which you are perfectly entitled too - and I respect this  - clearly whilst not agreeing with you as for Lambert I do place a lot of my affinity for him based on the exciting team he created at Norwich - something I don't ever recall thinking about a Bruce team.

So you are saying that yesterdays game and the 5-0 against Bristol City was turgid? 'I'll have to respectfully disagree there Dave. some games have been bad but to dismiss everything as a shit show is wrong (IMO) 

As for Lambert, he was very good at Norwich. He started ok at Villa but by the end it was eye bleedingly bad. It was so bad Sherwood had to save the day! 

Edited by Xela

Â