Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

4 hours ago, villan-scott said:

Are you feeling ok hippo? You're very positive this morning! 

We tend to do ok in the Saturday 3 o'clock at home, so fingers crossed for a positive result and positive line up from Bruce. We should go unchanged. 

Yeah but I am fickle - win games and I like manager - loose games and I don't. 

What I can't bear is those managers who whilst the team is getting soundly beaten give the fans some bullsit about chanfging the ethos, long term foundations etc - Garde, Houllier spring to mind. Bruce has done poorly so far but theres reason to hope his 'keep it tight, poach a goal' approach mut yet work out.

I'll be happy (post Cup game) to see the same side, a bit more attacking intent at home and see if we can put away Forest as well.  Not a Br-inner after one solid result, but lets wait and see if we have clicked / turned a corner.  Bruce's reign so far would show that's unlikely, but at least there is a modicum of hope.

(And it would be nice to win the cup game too please).

4 hours ago, Jareth said:

Fair enough I was being flippant. Totally agree, he is a big part of any success this year, albeit less a one man show and more a talented support act. Nobody can get the ball off him, so him and Davis can take their merry time whilst Snodgrass, Adomah and Hourihane get forward. I am sure Bruce is praying for no more injuries now he has stumbled upon his formula.  

You were but as it was out of character for you I let it pass. 

But it better not happen again young man ;)

On a serious note though Davis and Kodja could make a great partnership. 

• Like 1

On 17/09/2017 at 08:08, DaveAV1 said:

I don't ever recall a manager sniping at the fans before and I've seen plenty, good, bad and indifferent. To me this indicates that either he knows he's on the way out,  so he's getting some digs in before he goes, or he's a pathetic self centred idiot. Or of course both!

On 17/09/2017 at 11:56, DaveAV1 said:

Well you're allowed your opinion, but on here it is hardly a few and I'm not so sure how anyone can shout louder than anyone else on an Internet forum. As for calling people idiots because they disagree with your opinion, well let's just leave it at silly. 

Well lets not. 

If your going to dish it out expect some back dave 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, hippo said:

What I can't bear is those managers who whilst the team is getting soundly beaten give the fans some bullsit about chanfging the ethos, long term foundations etc - Garde, Houllier spring to mind. Bruce has done poorly so far but theres reason to hope his 'keep it tight, poach a goal' approach mut yet work out.

Isn't that what MON done with a better standard of player.?

22 minutes ago, hippo said:

Is this satire? You're more confident in a manager who also shares your 'hope' (in his own words by the way. Huge red flag, a manager should never be hoping) that his hit and hope (there's that word again) football will eventually work as opposed to managers who know what they're doing and have a clear ethos and plan in place?

Some of the prospective replacements are not looking too convincing at present.

• Jokanovic.....sitting on the same points as us
  • Dean Smith.....sitting on the same points as Harry and him being sacked.
  • Gary Rowett.....below us in the table.

This is certainly not an effort to score points, pardon the pun...but an effort to instill a bit of balance.

interesting too how Lee Johnson just missed the sack last season and he is now doing well.

Neil Warnock had some laughing themselves silly when his name last came up.

It is all a bit topsy turvy.....There are not many you can hang your hat on, I think Newcastle got lucky.

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Out of interest Trent, where would your thought process be if we win the next 3 games (all very winnable) with performances as good or better than Saturday?

IF we won the next 3, I'd imagine we'd be top 8, maybe even a little higher if things really went our way elsewhere.

I try not to get into hypotheticals if I can help it but don't want to avoid a direct question.

From what I've seen in his 11 mths winning the next 3 (4 in a row) seems as unlikely as Bruce knowing how long he has had the job.

Were it to happen then obviously it would buy him time but it wouldn't I'm afraid change my opinion on the last 11 months, on his performance as manager or ultimately on what I think is best for the club. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

with you 100%

So, hang on - we're now saying that there's a chance we'll get promoted but that it will be blind luck and we'll definitely come down again the next season?

What am I reading? What is this crap?

Some of you work yourselves up so much over things that haven't happened it's insane.

I also thought I'd heard a pretty loud 'Steve Bruce's claret and blue army' chant from the away fans in the final 10 minutes on saturday, if I heard correctly then I'm far more willing to back our excellent away support over our keyboard warrior contingent.

Edited by bannedfromHandV

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

Some of the prospective replacements are not looking too convincing at present.

• Jokanovic.....sitting on the same points as us
  • Dean Smith.....sitting on the same points as Harry and him being sacked.
  • Gary Rowett.....below us in the table.

This is certainly not an effort to score points, pardon the pun...but an effort to instill a bit of balance.

interesting too how Lee Johnson just missed the sack last season and he is now doing well.

Neil Warnock had some laughing themselves silly when his name last came up.

It is all a bit topsy turvy.....There are not many you can hang your hat on, I think Newcastle got lucky.

Come on TRO you can't talk about the performance of those managers referencing providing balance without taking into consideration the resources at their disposal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

I try not to get into hypotheticals if I can help it but don't want to avoid a direct question.

From what I've seen in his 11 mths winning the next 3 (4 in a row) seems as unlikely as Bruce knowing how long he has had the job.

Were it to happen then obviously it would buy him time but it wouldn't I'm afraid change my opinion on the last 11 months, on his performance as manager or ultimately on what I think is best for the club. 

Thanks Trent.

Without sounding pedantic, the last 11 months are irrelevant IF we got promoted this season.

3 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Rub people's faces in it? He won a game, something he hasn't done very often this season or in the last 11 months, I fail to see how win enables him to answer his critics.

If you think having digs at the fans, who have tolerated a lot and been supportive of him is going to help, well that is up to you, I think your are completely wrong though. The criticism of Bruce has been justified his quite childish reaction to hasn't been and he is only storing up trouble for himself. 

As for your last paragraph, nice way to talk about your fellow Villa fans that.... as for his supporters it's a diminishing group and likely to get smaller not larger the way he is performing and acting.

So would you prefer him to just take it? Stay quiet and be humble about the abuse? Potato head, fat, usless, stupid, dinosaur who hasnt got a clue? F##k that. Im glad he has come out fighting, shows spirit and defiance which should hopefully disseminate through to the team.

And the comment regarding the fans refers to the vocal minority who seem to think changing the manager, coaches, backroom and subsequently playing staff every time we lose 4-5 matches will yield instant success. Eventually, we are going to have to give someone the time to build our club back up and for me SB deserves that chance.

Edited by mattjpa

19 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Is this satire? You're more confident in a manager who also shares your 'hope' (in his own words by the way. Huge red flag, a manager should never be hoping) that his hit and hope (there's that word again) football will eventually work as opposed to managers who know what they're doing and have a clear ethos and plan in place?

Clear ethos is a load of bollox .....unless your winning. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Football is a simple game mate. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

In the league 1 win in 4 against such mighty opposition as Brentford, Barnsley, Bristol and 10 man Middlesborough. Scoring 4 goals in those games with 3 of them coming at the weekend. It's really nothing to shout about. 

Including the other 2 matches, it's a decent run at best. We're still in 13th place, a good 7 points off where we need to be already at this stage. Until he gets there he has no room to gloat and patronize the fans, and even then it would be in poor taste.

We'll play a comparable set of 4 teams every 4 matches so I fail to see the point in highlighting the previous 4 as though they're any different to the next 4, or the 4 after that and at the end of the day, you can only beat what's in front of you.

I wonder, did you think Newcastle would/should be blowing away all and sundry last season too? Because guess what, they didn't, and they won the league.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Come on TRO you can't talk about the performance of those managers referencing providing balance without taking into consideration the resources at their disposal.

Resources have to be used wisely, resources without Nous is questionable.

Aston Villa and Leicester highlighted that point....in 1980/ 2015 respectively.

without doubt resources, lower the odds of failure, but its just one factor in amongst  many.

anyway, Fulham are not skint, Derby can compete.....Brentford have gone through a difficult time,granted.

Norwich could be kicking their heels getting rid of Alex Neill, with Preston going strong. Too.

just making the points its not an exact science.

until the season matures its hard to tell, where we are heading.

sometimes you need conkers to ride the waves.

didn't Graham Taylor once say" lets keep our heads while everyone else loses theirs".....after experiencing a few set backs.

Edited by TRO

8 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

We'll play a comparable set of 4 teams every 4 matches so I fail to see the point in highlighting the previous 4 as though they're any different to the next 4, or the 4 after that and at the end of the day, you can only beat what's in front of you.

I wonder, did you think Newcastle would/should be blowing away all and sundry last season too? Because guess what, they didn't, and they won the league.

No Newcastle didn't blow every team away last season but in many of their games they were decidedly comfortable in getting the three points. Teams do tend to take the foot off the gas when comfortable or substitute their better players saving them for the next game.

More importantly in most of the games I seen involving Newcastle last season Rafa (generally a defensive manager) did not take the Bruce approach in paying the opposition too much respect, one, if not the main reason why Newcastle were promoted last season with a squad imo not much better than Villa's. The difference was imo the respective manager's approach.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

The last 11 months will be forgotten in a twinkling if he gets us on a winning run and we are challenging for promotion places.

And what is "best for the club" is surely that we achieve stability and get a settled squad who play welll for their manager so that they can go on such a run. It would be far better if this could be done with Bruce in post than by having to return to ground zero and start all over again with a new manager and probably another change of squad.

Obviously if Bruce can't get us playing in this way then he has to go and all the negatives of yet further disruption will have to be borne. But having our third manager in 18 months after having failed to produce a convincing Championship squad will be nothing to celebrate and there will be few positives in my view.

Â