Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

12 hours ago, Genie said:

Again, where was the gloating?? He said it was a club in crisis. People seeing what they want to see as usual.

You clearly haven't seen the interview then, and if you have you should probably check it out again. He was clearly being sarcastic. His point was "look we're *insert not terribly impressive unbeaten run here* and yet people think we're in a crisis? Ha.". He even gave that little scoff at the end there.

8 hours ago, TRO said:

The reality is, we still have 38 games to play, 114 points to play for......in a marathon we have completed the equivalent of just under 4 mile. Its not the end of the season, its the beginning.

There is a long way to go.

We have had a poor start,so it follows we are closer the bottom, but we are climbing, we have to sustain a run, thats clear.

but i would rather have a poor start, than a poor finish.

We all know what we have to do....if the crowd are confident the players feel it....we all feed off each other.

To mention 3 clean sheets on the bounce, does not ignore some of the failings, but it can't be sniffed at.

No argument from me @TRO. I've been pretty supportive of him and I can see many reasons beyond his own failings for last years slump and a stuttering start. Ive laid them out in this thread before. I missed the Bristol City, Reading and Norwich games but imo Ive no real problem with the Hull, Middlesborough and obviously Barnsley games. The Brentford and Cardiff matches were utterly appalling though and the Cardiff game really knocked the stuffing out of me when it came to bothering to voice a supportive opinion on here of his merits. That doesn't mean I've joined in calling for his head either, I think 10/11 games in is a reasonable sample size to indicate how the season will pan out on top of that with RDM last year Xia might have shown his hand on how quickly he is willing to act too. I also think from his "I know what I have to do" type comments earlier in the season that Xia may well have set him a points total for the end of this month of around 20 points. Whatever he does now he's not getting to 20 by then and I truly think his only hope is to win all 3, miss it by 1 point on an 8 game unbeaten run and prove we've turned a corner. I think October is Wolves, Fulham and SHA away so I wouldnt say 3 wins from 3 is a reasonable expectation on current form in those games but with all due respect to Forest, Burton and Bolton  it's not the same proposition and I think as someone said the other day it's time to shit or get off the pot. 15/16 points after 11 games is mid table form however it's spun, 19/20 is around the minimum I'd expect to see and he's cutting it that fine imo. 3 clean sheets is great, 9 goals conceeded in 5 games not so much though eh and therein lies the reason this thread is pretty enjoyable right now is that both sides of any argument still have some validity. I'm behind him and the team every time (I don't get the seeing the up side in a potential loss type posts) and I haven't given up on him yet mostly probably because I resigned myself to the 1 dimensional football the day he was announced but I've cut him all the slack I can for now. I want to see wins on the board.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Keyblade said:

You clearly haven't seen the interview then, and if you have you should probably check it out again. He was clearly being sarcastic. His point was "look we're *insert not terribly impressive unbeaten run here* and yet people think we're in a crisis? Ha.". He even gave that little scoff at the end there.

I'm glad he did. I've not checked Twitter but I bet there are fans crying to Tony that Steve was nasty to them. 

I crave stability but still Bruce is just wrong for us. I hope he proves he is the manager we hoped he was. Confidence is the key.

In his favour, despite our stodgy unconvincing start we are only 7 points adrift, and there is no clear runaway team(s), although Leeds look as though they are serious this season. 3 wins would turn this situation around.

The other advantage is squad size and depth of quality which we have, over a long season that should give us an edge come February/March/April.

22 minutes ago, Genie said:

I'm glad he did. I've not checked Twitter but I bet there are fans crying to Tony that Steve was nasty to them. 

He can behave like Mourinho if and when he achieved a similar record. He would be better served courting the fans at this point otherwise it does look like he has a self serving agenda.

I think some of the injuries for the smaller clubs  will start to kick in from now onwards. Whilst we have a reasonable quota of injuries we also have the squad to cope better than most.

The gameplan still seems to be, keep it tight at the back and nick what u can up front - whilst that isn't a plan for the purists, It can probably take us a lot further than people think in the championship.

10 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Just his presence seems to transform the team. Although I admit Davis and Adomah both played very well too. 

Fair enough I was being flippant. Totally agree, he is a big part of any success this year, albeit less a one man show and more a talented support act. Nobody can get the ball off him, so him and Davis can take their merry time whilst Snodgrass, Adomah and Hourihane get forward. I am sure Bruce is praying for no more injuries now he has stumbled upon his formula.  

20 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

In fairness he has tried a number of tactics and has arguably chopped and changed formations too much.

Yesterdays worked and can work again against certain opposition as we certainly have the personnel to play a counter attacking game very effectively as shown yesterday.

I actually think that line up yesterday can play a more possession based game as well. The forward five players are all very comfortable on the ball. In fact both full backs and Terry are also comfortable in possession.

Bruce has put a very good squad together for me and his biggest crime, and it is a big one, is in not getting the best out of it. I think the last two performances have been decent. He now needs to turn that into a run of five or six games. If we can I think this squad with some forward momentum and playing with the confidence that comes from winning will take some stopping and this season can still be a very successful one. 

This is it isnt it?

it isnt down to the players.

its down to the manager picking the right players in the right position in a "right" set up playing a right way to get a right result.

As much as we would all want and love that to happen, its all been too much pick and hope.

I dont think he has it in him

• Like 1

If we can win the next three, we might be able to build up some confidence and gain some momentum going forward. I'm still dreading Bruce will chop and change in the coming weeks. Will be interesting to see where Jedinak will slot in. Green getting injured was sadly a blessing, as it meant Kodjias inclusion was straightforward and Davis retained his place. Adomah needs to be an auto-include, which Bruce should've realized at the start of the season already.

I seriously don't get why Bruce feels the need to have a go at the fans. He hasn't achieved anything with us yet. We'd all be better off with him actually accepting some of the blame for the lackluster results thus far, and for once showing some humility, instead of this self-righteous arrogance. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villan-scott said:

Are you feeling ok hippo? You're very positive this morning! 

We tend to do ok in the Saturday 3 o'clock at home, so fingers crossed for a positive result and positive line up from Bruce. We should go unchanged. 

Bad news for you, Saturday's game is at 5:30

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, mykeyb said:

He can behave like Mourinho if and when he achieved a similar record. He would be better served courting the fans at this point otherwise it does look like he has a self serving agenda.

I completely disagree. i want a manager who has the bottle to rub it in peoples faces and i commend him for doing so. He doesnt need to court the fan base as there is plenty of support there for him already. Every manager will make mistakes and go through bad patches im glad TX has given him a chance to ride it out.  

Giving the internet bed wetters the middle finger if anything gets him more respect from his supporters and hopefully the team as well...

42 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

This is it isnt it?

it isnt down to the players.

its down to the manager picking the right players in the right position in a "right" set up playing a right way to get a right result.

As much as we would all want and love that to happen, its all been too much pick and hope.

I dont think he has it in him

It's just a question of rinse and repeat the team without playing on the break and that should be plenty good enough to get another win against Forest.

Sometimes I think Bruce's problem at the Villa is he has more quality to choose from than at his previous clubs where his choice of player was limited. Basically his best team was forced upon him every week.

He needs to start doing that at Villa but just change his best team when injuries require it.

Edited by striker
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, villan-scott said:

Are you feeling ok hippo? You're very positive this morning! 

We tend to do ok in the Saturday 3 o'clock at home, so fingers crossed for a positive result and positive line up from Bruce. We should go unchanged. 

It's a 5-30 ko  but hopefully we have broken that sky hoodoo .

Edited by Eastie
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, striker said:

It's just a question of rinse and repeat the team without playing on the break and that should be plenty good enough to get another win against Forest.

Sometimes I think Bruce's problem at the Villa is he has more quality to choose from than at his previous clubs where his choice of player was limited. Basically his best team was forced upon him every week.

He needs to start doing that at Villa but just change the team when injuries require it.

Expect to see 10 or even 11 changes tomorrow and frankly couldn't care less about the league cup - forest , Burton and Bolton must be wins to get back on track and then we have a big October with wolves and blues away plus Fulham at home - should give us an insight into where we are heading or not .

32 minutes ago, mattjpa said:

I completely disagree. i want a manager who has the bottle to rub it in peoples faces and i commend him for doing so. He doesnt need to court the fan base as there is plenty of support there for him already. Every manager will make mistakes and go through bad patches im glad TX has given him a chance to ride it out.  

Giving the internet bed wetters the middle finger if anything gets him more respect from his supporters and hopefully the team as well...

Rub people's faces in it? He won a game, something he hasn't done very often this season or in the last 11 months, I fail to see how win enables him to answer his critics.

If you think having digs at the fans, who have tolerated a lot and been supportive of him is going to help, well that is up to you, I think your are completely wrong though. The criticism of Bruce has been justified his quite childish reaction to hasn't been and he is only storing up trouble for himself. 

As for your last paragraph, nice way to talk about your fellow Villa fans that.... as for his supporters it's a diminishing group and likely to get smaller not larger the way he is performing and acting.

• Like 4

Â