Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

On balance I'd still have him in charge for start of next season...just.

Just imagine this football and tactics in the premier league though. We'd struggle to even get 17 points.

If he sorts things out over the summer and does his promotion trick here I don't want him in charge in the PL as we'd be wasting time then.

35 minutes ago, TRO said:

He needs a full season, new players and a preseason.There is no single factor, its a multitude of factors coming together that will turn this around.

One of those factors is stability, this club has had more change than the mint.

Why does he need a full season, a summer ? He has shown nothing so far to prove he deserves any of that, he's had time enough time to imprint his personality on this team and look how we are playing. Do you honestly believe a summers pre season will make one iota of difference in the way he approaches games? 

He has signed his own players yet does not play to any of their respective strengths. Barring Taylor who is a limited footballer he has not got a performance out of Lansbury, Hourihane or Hogan. He signed Johnstone who might turn into a class keeper but who cost us through his mistakes a shot at the play offs and was the wrong keeper at the wrong time. 

He hasn't got a clue and is out of his depth. Football moves on and he hasn't. 

He is a football relic, a has been of a bygone era. People can point out that Wagner struggled last season but it isn't a fair comparison at all. New manager to a new league, Bruce is supposedly the championship master. 

We should be building a footballing philosophy an identity. The villa way.

We are missing a huge opportunity to properly rebuild the club sticking with him. Stability is just a buzz word when it comes to sticking with him, something to hide behind and should never be used to defend or make excuses for him. 

Just my opinion which is as relevant as yours and others that support sticking with him. Just I know I'm right ;) lol 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Well that is simply not true.....things have changed marginally, we have securred some wins and staved off relegation......yes, it was that bad.

while the football is pants......thats a defeatist comment from a frustrated man.

Yes but the gap between us and Newcastle has grown since last season.  We were 20 pts adrift of them last year and this season we are 30 pts adrift. The only improvement if there is any is Kodjia. 

For me he gets 5 games next season if this kind of performances continues and we are not winning games like we should then xia has a decision to make.

If he does go if go for Dean Smith. Worked with Hogan and done a remarkable job at brentford

• Like 1

He is a nice fella, a 'proper' football man and he seems to always explain the problem  areas clearly without the usual BS after the match when we lose. He also has experience in this division with 4 promotions with far smaller clubs and playing budgets. He has to a certain extent brought stability to the club after  huge turnover of managers and players. 

However the football is appalling, he has not improved the style or shape of the team since he has been here and our entire good run has been based on a decent striker on form with a solid back four. We play with not style at all even with our massive transfer dealings in January which on paper at least should have massively improved the side. He also has previous with randomly buying players in the hope of finding a team, so I don't think there is much of a master plan if anything I guess that is under Steve Round's remit. 

If we sack him would we been seen as knee jerk? Should we keep faith with him? Next season is so vital we badly need to make the right choice. Stick or twist? I don't know. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

For me he gets 5 games next season if this kind of performances continues and we are not winning games like we should then xia has a decision to make.

If he does go if go for Dean Smith. Worked with Hogan and done a remarkable job at brentford

Smith would be a huge gamble In my opinion - too many managers can do it with smaller clubs but are out of their depth at a club of villa size - I'd give Bruce 6 games to start the season but if there is no improvement then I think a decision needs to be made early in the season .

Just now, The Fun Factory said:

He is a nice fella, a 'proper' football man and he seems to always explain the problem  areas clearly without the usual BS after the match when we lose. He also has experience in this division with 4 promotions with far smaller clubs and playing budgets. He has to a certain extent brought stability to the club after  huge turnover of managers and players. 

However the football is appalling, he has not improved the style or shape of the team since he has been here and our entire good run has been based on a decent striker on form with a solid back four. We play with not style at all even with our massive transfer dealings in January which on paper at least should have massively improved the side. He also has previous with randomly buying players in the hope of finding a team, so I don't think there is much of a master plan if anything I guess that is under Steve Round's remit. 

If we sack him would we been seen as knee jerk? Should we keep faith with him? Next season is so vital we badly need to make the right choice. Stick or twist? I don't know. 

I can just about stomach the shit style of football providing we are winning ugly but the results are simply not good enough - since Xmas we have drifted further from the play offs and could well end 14th . 

Ive backed Bruce but seriously question his team  selections and failure to get performances from players - bacuna and Gardner in particular have been crap so often yet still he picks them .

glad the season is over as it's been tedious and poor.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

In fairness, he does have Kodjia available today and Jedinak injured - what would you expect him to do?

resign whilst there's still a bit of dignity to gain

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

Why are people saying give him 5 games next season? So if he screws up, which he most likely will, a new manager comes in with no pre season and none of his own players and he is expected to turn us around. Sack Bruce now and take some time out to scour the world and get a new manager in with a pre season and chance to buy his own players.

Really cannot see xia sacking him now to be honest - I thiNk they will be alarmed though and ready to act fast if needed in the new season - he just about has done enough to earn a chance maybe in their eyes but I think serious questions will be being asked behind the scenes .

whether I would give him 5 games or not is immaterial but I think xia will stick with him for now but a bad start will quilckly see him gone .

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I think it is fair for us to ask him to come out and tell us why we should have the belief in him to turn this in to palatable performances.

Perhaps you should write to him and ask the question, he might give you an answer

33 minutes ago, Eastie said:

I can just about stomach the shit style of football providing we are winning ugly but the results are simply not good enough - since Xmas we have drifted further from the play offs and could well end 14th . 

Ive backed Bruce but seriously question his team  selections and failure to get performances from players - bacuna and Gardner in particular have been crap so often yet still he picks them .

glad the season is over as it's been tedious and poor.

Bascially agree with that. If the football is shite but we win then you accept it as a means to an end of promotion. If however you have to watch that for 46 games to come mid table then yeah it's not great is it.

He must have had better footballing sides with the noses and hull to get promoted- we don't really even have that functional-not great to watch-but grind results out vibe yet. So far most wins under brucey give a impression of us just kick-bollock-scramble method of relying on a good forward on a bit of form and a solid back four. You surely need more than to get into the top 6. 

Edited by The Fun Factory

A couple of quotes from Cruyff stand out for me when debating Bruce' weaknesses and suitability. 

"There is only one ball, so you need to have it", 

sub 40% every other game isn't sustainable and contuitive to succeed (Leicester anomoly aside) 

If you have the ball you must make the field as big as possible, and if you don’t have the ball you must make it as small as possible", 

Hoofball and defending deep is not the same . 

"Quality without results is pointless. Results without quality is boring", 

speaks for itself really. 

The malaise that took control during Lerners last years will come back to a degree if he continues serving up this shite. But he is like Cuprinol, he does exactly what he says on the tin. So how people expect him to change or turn it around is beyond me. 

This is it folks. Your seeing the real Steve Bruce no summer pre season will change things. This is our lot until he's gone. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

I get the vibe that he has been told that he will be here next season regardless.

Probably at the start of the season but if results are not good I can't see them hanging around - good start or goodbye I think will be the message.

I've been on the fence for a while but after watching today's utter inept display I'm convinced Bruce is not the man to get us promotion and by sticking with him to start the season with will only make the task that much harder.

He has not improved us at all and even though we went on that winning run, most would agree we were quite ' fortunate' at best with many results.

We have no style of play and he plays the wrong players or the right players in the wrong position. He has been here since the end of last year and I think most would have expected these basics to be in place by now. 

I honestly thougt (and still do to an extent)that stability is crucial in the managers department but not from what I witnessed today.

The problem is if we were to dispose of Bruce, who to get as a replacement?

• Like 2

Â