Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

22 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

It's pretty obvious.

That, regardless of your previous perceptions, as soon as he's appointed, you're behind him until he proves otherwise.

But it won't happen. As soon as the first goal goes in against us, point-scoring galore. We all know how this place works.

So your answer to "

What does, in the context of this discussion, "getting behind the manager" actually entail

is, er,

" you're behind him until he proves otherwise".

so "get behind him" means "get behind him". I understand  - like Brexit means Brexit.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, blandy said:

I dunno, Rob, I mean I don't disagree that any club has a few people who could be called poisonous, or whatever, if that's what you want to do. But it seems a bit of an OTT statement (mind you this is the interwebs, so fair play) to make based around some posters on here not thinking much of Bruce as a manager. Must admit I'm one of them.

Sure, yes, it seems he's been picked to be next man in, and there's now't can be done anyway, but can't people discuss it all, pros and cons etc. without being considered to be "not getting behind" or worse being thought of as "poisonous"?

I haven't looked at any other Villa sites, but I'd imagine they'd have a mix of views on potato head, too (can I still call him that, or isn't it allowed any more under the new "get behind him" regime?).

If he is the next manager then good luck to him, genuinely, but a history of doing a runner, of relegations and promotions, of ropy transfer choices and teams descending into messes seems to me grounds for scepticism (as well as optimism).

A number of people have posted along the lines of get us up, then get rid - I mean that indicates that of those who actually actively wanted him, they don't see him as really up to the job long term.

[Sorry to pick on your post, which was fine, it's just the key for me writing something.]

As per my reply to the other post that quoted me, it's not about this in isolation.  It's a broader mindset of negativity around the club.

I'm not dancing on the roof that we've hired Steve Bruce, but I can understand the rationale.  I can't say for definite that he's 100% going to be a success, and it seems a push to suggest that he 100% won't be a success.

I've worked at companies who are in trouble, and the negative mentality around the place tends to become a self-fulfilling prophecy.  I think it's true here too.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, chrisvilla4 said:

Steve Bruce wins his first game in charge. At the end he claps the fans. Half of them clap back, the other half stick their fingers up and say eff you. 

Except that definitely won't happen. According to most polls I've seen 70-80% of fans are already behind the appointment. Only a small minority of the remaining percentage will be the kind of moron to do that. Which they won't do anyway, because they're the kind of moron who can't even decide what to have for breakfast day to day. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Prime example of not getting behind him.

"even if he takes us up, he'll be shit in the long run"

It's mental.

I'm trying to look four or five years down the line. If ambition extends only to promotion Bruce makes some sort of sense, if we want promotion and something more I think we might have made a more forward-looking appointment.

I hope Bruce is the next Ron Saunders, I really do but I actually think that sometime in the near-ish future yet another manager will be wheeled out to try any rebuild the team the Bruce has left rather like Bruce will need to re-do the rebuilding work that RDM has just (badly) carried out.

Personally, I would have prefered a Wagner-type with the risk and possible longer-term rewards that might bring

• Like 1

Big fat potato heads claret and blue army!

(Just testing it out) Still feels wrong..... but the comedy value helps heal the wounds!

I hope we dont lose the humour with him just because hes our manager

Edited by Nigel

29 minutes ago, Richard said:

Cheers,  I'll take the last 15 years experience of Steve bruce then to prove to me why I shouldnt "get behind him"

Mate that's mental, come on. I know we've had a few tiffs recently but I know you're a good guy and you're not that bitter.

He's the Villa manager now. The club needs our support, he is part of the club. You don't have to 'like it' but it is what it is. He's not that bad a manager is he, in reality. Even if you don't think he's the right fit surely you can see value in his record?

Up The Villa anyway. Here's to three points Saturday... Unless that won't suit some agendas? Not that I'm aiming that at yourself Richard. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, chrisvilla4 said:

Steve Bruce wins his first game in charge. At the end he claps the fans. Half of them clap back, the other half stick their fingers up and say eff you. 

Sounds ridiculous doesn't it? Just effin get behind him and the team. 

1 minute ago, VillaCas said:

I'm trying to look four or five years down the line. 

Don't. It'll drive you insane. 

I call it "The Randy Lerner Legacy", too worried about where we might be in 5 years time than putting a winning team on the pitch here and now. 

He broke this club and it's support, in so many ways. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Prime example of not getting behind him.

"even if he takes us up, he'll be shit in the long run"

It's mental.

And thats coming from some of those actually wanting him

2 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

People asking what 'get behind the manager' means? Really? Are you all just thick or like typing nonsense as an excuse to post something? The forum equivalent of 'likes the sound of his own voice'.

I can only speak for myself, and yes, I am just thick.

So, being something of a retard, I had to ask, because I didn't understand what constituted the grounds for people saying essentially "get behind him or eff off" on this messageboard. For example, is hoping he does well as manager but not specifically saying it  on here a failure to "get behind him"? or is that OK? what exactly was Stefan (and others) complaining about or advocating I and other do? and what is it that I'm not supposed to do if I want to remain in the correct aspect with regard to Spudface, sorry, his excellency?

Can I say that I've never liked the bloke? is that a bad thing? or have I to put aside my dislike of him and type something such as "Potato head is glorious" every third post? and at what point am I allowed to stop?

What are the rules of this get behind him regime? Is it going to involve little models of him, it is isn't it? I can see the way it's going. Tiny little potato head figurines and sort of altars of King Edwardy worship.

Good luck spudface.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, blandy said:

I can only speak for myself, and yes, I am just thick.

So, being something of a retard, I had to ask, because I didn't understand what constituted the grounds for people saying essentially "get behind him or eff off" on this messageboard. For example, is hoping he does well as manager but not specifically saying it  on here a failure to "get behind him"? or is that OK? what exactly was Stefan (and others) complaining about or advocating I and other do? and what is it that I'm not supposed to do if I want to remain in the correct aspect with regard to Spudface, sorry, his excellency?

Can I say that I've never liked the bloke? is that a bad thing? or have I to put aside my dislike of him and type something such as "Potato head is glorious" every third post? and at what point am I allowed to stop?

What are the rules of this get behind him regime? Is it going to involve little models of him, it is isn't it? I can see the way it's going. Tiny little potato head figurines and sort of altars of King Edwardy worship.

Good luck spudface.

I think i love you,  so I'm getting behind you ;-)

Â