Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think you are quite right, the main issue is the lack of any flicker of recognition.

The resillience acheived is like a mirage, just skimmed over to carry on the crusade of criticism.....I can't recall any of his critics on here giving him any credit for anything....and I Don't mean Terry, who has criticised him , but praised on occasions too.

Like you i have my criticisms of him, but TRY to remain balanced with it.

If,if and I repeat if.....I thought we had 2 quality strikers available in the squad fit to play and we was playing as cautiously as we do.....I would have more to say against him....but we don't.

Give me a break TRO. "The resilience" is a bare minimum achievement, for any manager. The fact that so many before him has failed, says more about them really. A lot of them were as we now know, quite poor appointments. Bruce's stats clearly show he's improved results. It hasn't gone unnoticed, by none. He deserves credit for being much better than the miserable lot before him these last few years. He's had it easier though being one division lower, which can't be overlooked either.

However a lot of us still feel (rightfully IMO), that the terrible brand of football that's being served isn't sustainable in the long run. Ultimately (most likely still this season) we are gonna fall apart, playing the way we do, thus ending our plight for promotion. This is probably the biggest reason I (and a fair few others) feel reluctant in singing his praises on a weekly basis, when there is so little improvement in the way we play, even though he's had a considerable amount of time and money. 

I know you agree with the football being poor, as you've said so numerous times. But you still seem to feel we are one or two players away from becoming something of a force to recon with, where as I'm not a believer anymore. TBH don't think I ever was, given what I'd seen of his past teams. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I think you are quite right, the main issue is the lack of any flicker of recognition.

The resillience acheived is like a mirage, just skimmed over to carry on the crusade of criticism.....I can't recall any of his critics on here giving him any credit for anything....and I Don't mean Terry, who has criticised him , but praised on occasions too.

Like you i have my criticisms of him, but TRY to remain balanced with it.

If,if and I repeat if.....I thought we had 2 quality strikers available in the squad fit to play and we was playing as cautiously as we do.....I would have more to say against him....but we don't.

Haha that's not true at all. 

As seen since he arrived here, there is no doubt you would find another reason to defend him. 

1 hour ago, TRO said:

When we next embark on an effort to sign a striker, i hope we look a little further than their goal stats( which in the past has given us patchy results) and seriously look at the players ability to move like Brian Little and Dean Saunders did.....The amount of static strikers we have bought over the years is worrying.

We need a Dynamic one or two.......one who is comfortable with movement.

I agree TRO. We don’t have enough busy players in general, let alone up front. I didn’t like Mark Hughes when he was playing for the simple fact he didn’t play for us. But he’s exactly the type that would make a huge difference. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I agree TRO. We don’t have enough busy players in general, let alone up front. I didn’t like Mark Hughes when he was playing for the simple fact he didn’t play for us. But he’s exactly the type that would make a huge difference. 

I agree Dave.

There is a lot of Talk about Man City as the epitome of the perfect team or close to it.

Pepe players a rectangle on the pitch and boxes teams.....but you have to have the quality of player to do it.....people see their skills, but their work rate is phenomenal too.

our players run, but they run without intelligence or purpose.......its work, but in a laboured mental fashion.

I just think offensively in particular, we are not as good as we think we are.

4 hours ago, Dave J said:

That’s a big shout to say we will beat Derby - has Bruce beaten a team above us yet?? I admit it would be a fantastic confidence booster and a real fillip for us fans going into the Xmas period if we can secure the 3 points later.

maybe it was quite big. I might be wrong but it seems we are much better away from home in last few weeks when we are given space

44 minutes ago, TRO said:

I agree Dave.

There is a lot of Talk about Man City as the epitome of the perfect team or close to it.

Pepe players a rectangle on the pitch and boxes teams.....but you have to have the quality of player to do it.....people see their skills, but their work rate is phenomenal too.

our players run, but they run without intelligence or purpose.......its work, but in a laboured mental fashion.

I just think offensively in particular, we are not as good as we think we are.

I’m not so sure how good we think we are. I think whilst we have looked generally more confident, it’s still fairly fragile. As you won’t be surprised to hear, I’d be inclined to think that’s partly due to our playing style, which doesn’t allow us enough possession to control games.

Consider that a gentle poke at the Bruce underbelly rather than a viscous attack with a sword . I’m sure his underbelly is big enough to take it  :D

58 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I’m not so sure how good we think we are. I think whilst we have looked generally more confident, it’s still fairly fragile. As you won’t be surprised to hear, I’d be inclined to think that’s partly due to our playing style, which doesn’t allow us enough possession to control games.

Consider that a gentle poke at the Bruce underbelly rather than a viscous attack with a sword . I’m sure his underbelly is big enough to take it  :D

I agree it is fairly fragile.

Look, i have always said its more than one thing....they are all responsible, manager, players, coaches.

but it won't surprise you, for me to think, the playing style is partly down to the capability of the players and their form.

I tend to think the other way around, we play the way we do, because we are not good ast keeping possession of the ball.....its what comes first the chicken or the egg.

I was always led to believe you play according to the stregths and weaknesses of your squad.

its a matter of opinion, how is the best way to acquire points, when you have weaknesses in your squad.

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

its a matter of opinion, how is the best way to acquire points, when you have weaknesses in your squad.

Whatever weaknesses we have in regard to the squad, are largely due to Bruce, seeing as he's bought most of them. Thereby it's not a valid excuse, however much you want to think so.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TRO said:

I guess when he is doing his team talk and explaing his thoughts.....He coaches all that out of them, and tells them not to make runs and use 3 touches to bring the ball under control and keep your heads down.;)

He doesn’t have to suggest it to be responsible for it.  These same players have done it at other clubs.  They are capable.  He is the manager.  If he fails with 1 or 2 of them, that happens.  He’s failing with the majority every week. Our u-18s are doing it.  

Neither of us know what he’s telling them in the locker room before the game, but it isn’t working to create a style that isn’t anemic.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TRO said:

When we next embark on an effort to sign a striker, i hope we look a little further than their goal stats( which in the past has given us patchy results) and seriously look at the players ability to move like Brian Little and Dean Saunders did.....The amount of static strikers we have bought over the years is worrying.

We need a Dynamic one or two.......one who is comfortable with movement.

Not comparing him to BJ or DS

But that said „player of movement“ (and scores goals) would be the description of a certain performer at Brentford last season.

Hogan

The irony of Bruce‘s greatest ever „protector of the faith“ stating that we need a player he indeed bought but couldnt get anything out of him.

I predict a bad defeat v Derby and the confidence of DrT being severely disrupted.

Glen Whelan rather than the dynamic callum O'hare , who would give the team some much needed thrust and guile ,but no ,that would be far too adventurous . Let's just keep it safe  and you never know ,we might sneak one of them really exciting 1 - 0 victories. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Glen Whelan rather than the dynamic callum O'hare , who would give the team some much needed thrust and guile ,but no ,that would be far too adventurous . Let's just keep it safe  and you never know ,we might sneak one of them really exciting 1 - 0 victories. 

I realise Whelan has gifted Derby a goal.

But he's been one of our best players for the past 6 or 7 games. A weird player to be picking on.

Just now, BG_Villa_Fan said:

Either the one he broke the bank for, or the other one he was starting at the beginning of the season. 

So the one goal in 12 months, injured one... or Agbonlahor.

Do you really think that would make the difference?

4 minutes ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

Playing without a striker :D

Its way beyond a joke.....not looking to lay blame.....but a poor state of affairs.The club need to examine the merit of the front line its abyssmal......5 in the squad....2 youngsters, 1 long term injury, 1 dud and 1not fit for purpose.

Edited by TRO

Just now, Johnnyp said:

Hogan. The one deemed fit enough to make the match day squad.

The injured one then?

Also one league goal in 12 months, not sure that's a better option.

Chris Samba has as many goals playing up front for Villa in the league as Scott Hogan does.

Â