Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Just now, av1 said:

Jedinak has played at CB recently, it doesn't mean he's anywhere close to being a CB though. 

He's played at CB long before this season.  Doesn't mean he's good, but he can certainly play there.

Same with Hutton at left back.

Just now, Dick said:

Right back for the majority of last season where he was a success. You pointing out he has been played at right wing recently just proves that Bruce is playing him out of his best position. That's what Bruce is doing wrong, too square pegs on round holes.

He's been successful this season too, IMO.  He can play in a couple of positions - it isn't a bad thing!

(Last season, El Mohamady was roundly criticised for being poor defensively and caught up the pitch way too often, btw).

1 minute ago, MrBlack said:

Elmo is not a viable right winger, just another example of Bruce playing people out of position to the detriment of the team

I disagree - he's probably a better winger than right back tbh.

39 minutes ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

No.

But that's like saying would you care if you lost all your money, when you might win the lottery next week?

it's really not like saying that at all.........because the league and the cup are 2 entirely separate aspects of the season with 2 entirely separate outcomes......unsure if you're being serious though to be fair

28 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Thats nonsense if you think its just about last nights match.   

I think for a lot of people it goes way beyond last nights match.

But that's been done to death hasn't it?!

Therefore we are discussing last nights game, or do you just want to go round and round on the same arguments we've been going round and round on for two years now?

Just now, Keyblade said:

It's quite embarrassing and damning for Bruce that he deems a team comprised of his own signings (the majority of all his signings while at the club) to be not good enough. What was the point of signing them? 

It really isn't.

Sometimes signings work brilliantly, sometimes they don't.  That's football.  Of the players who played last night, some of them have been decent for us when they've played, some haven't.  That's football.

"embarrassing" "damning".  **** hell.

28 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

I care, because 8 of the players starting were players Bruce had signed. Players that Bruce clearly thought were capable of getting promotion from the Championship.

The other three have been under his stewardship for over two years.  

The fact he couldn't get a performance out of them to beat a team currently 21st in league 1, that we hadn't lost to in recent history, tells me everything about his ability as a manager.  Not to mention playing three right backs in one team.

Happy that we're out the cup and are minimising the number of games where our core first team can get injured/worn out, but totally unconvinced that Bruce will turn the corner with our first team and get us promoted.  And I don't buy the fact Bruce is intelligent enough to have put that team out the way he did with the intention of losing.

Undefeated in the league and up near the top of the table with the first team, sorry but which corner do we need to turn?

We could/should have an additional 2-4 points, in some respects we've been pretty unlucky to not be an additional 2-4 points better off.

I've witnessed us playing pretty well this season so far, all things taken into account.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Despite Elmo playing as a right winger recently?

I hate versatile players.

Harry Kane played in goal once too.

8 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Elmo is not a viable right winger, just another example of Bruce playing people out of position to keep his favourites happy.

FTFY

2 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I think for a lot of people it goes way beyond last nights match.

But that's been done to death hasn't it?!

Therefore we are discussing last nights game, or do you just want to go round and round on the same arguments we've been going round and round on for two years now?

We are stating that Bruce shouldnt be manager and using last nights game to continue to iterate this fact.  I for one will continue to bring this up whilst people like yourself keep defending him for no valid reasons, which has also been done to death may i add.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jim said:

Harry Kane played in goal once too.

Didn't Shearer do the same - start as a goalkeeper?  Presumably he was found out to be a better striker so they played him there instead.

Sort of like someone being at right back and then being moved further forward because they're more effective? :detect: 

Or am I missing whatever your point is here?

6 minutes ago, bobzy said:

It really isn't.

Sometimes signings work brilliantly, sometimes they don't.  That's football.  Of the players who played last night, some of them have been decent for us when they've played, some haven't.  That's football.

8/13 Hogan is crocked Nyland and McGinn just arrived and Whelan and Thor. 

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Didn't Shearer do the same - start as a goalkeeper?  Presumably he was found out to be a better striker so they played him there instead.

Sort of like someone being at right back and then being moved further forward because they're more effective? :detect: 

Or am I missing whatever your point is here?

Is he more effective? The jury is out on that one for me. He looked much better a RB last season than he has this season as RW. IMHO. 

14 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Despite Elmo playing as a right winger recently?

I hate versatile players.

Edit:  Noted; no comment on the 4th one.

I know what you’re saying about Axel being the fourth right back and that people don’t see him in that position so it’s contradictory. 

I think he’s a right back in as much that that’s where he will feature most prominently for us. I honestly don’t know what his preferred position is, I think it’s centre half, but I’m unsure. But I’ll be surprised if we suddenly see Axel play as a centre half in the league for any significant duration. As it stands, that’s Jedinak’s position to lose.

So yeah, to my mind he’s not really a right back, but Bruce sees him as one (well judging by the team sheets in the league, he views Axel as his preferred right back, that might change with our new wingers coming in).

I’d say we started last night with two players whose best position is right back (Bree and RDL) and our current right back (Axel). He then brought on probably our most consistent right back (Elmo, who I accept can do a reasonable job further up the pitch).

28 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I thought the narrative was that Bruce played players out of position constantly and that Tuanzebe was actually a centre back being shoe horned into playing right back.  Is he now a right back?

Ask Bruce. this is the second time he's had him on loan, and currently Tuanzebe's his first choice right back. 

Just now, Shropshire Lad said:

I know what you’re saying about Axel being the fourth right back and that people don’t see him in that position so it’s contradictory. 

I think he’s a right back in as much that that’s where he will feature most prominently for us. I honestly don’t know what his preferred position is, I think it’s centre half, but I’m unsure. But I’ll be surprised if we suddenly see Axel play as a centre half in the league for any significant duration. As it stands, that’s Jedinak’s position to lose.

So yeah, to my mind he’s not really a right back, but Bruce sees him as one (well judging by the team sheets in the league, he views Axel as his preferred right back, that might change with our new wingers coming in).

I’d say we started last night with two players whose best position is right back (Bree and RDL) and our current right back (Axel). He then brought on probably our most consistent right back (Elmo, who I accept can do a reasonable job further up the pitch).

I agree.

De Laet pretty much famed for being a versatile defender who can play anywhere across the back line, though.  I know this doesn't fit with players only having one position, and I'm certain the right side is his preferred/best/most often played position.  Likewise, Tuanzebe.  It may well be that we have players who can play in more than one position on a football pitch.

I know, it's staggering.

12 minutes ago, bobzy said:

It really isn't.

He said all 8 of them were trash basically. The only players he signed that weren't in the 18 last night were McGinn and the 4 loan signings. He's basically saying he's shit at finding players and building a squad.

Not that I agree with his assessment though, I think at least half of those players are more than good enough for us. He's digging himself into an embarrassing hole by blaming his own players is the point I was making. At the end of the day if what he's saying is true, it only reflects poorly on him is what I'm saying.

Edited by Keyblade

3 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

8/13 Hogan is crocked Nyland and McGinn just arrived and Whelan and Thor. 

Not entirely sure what your point is - and I haven't been bothered to look up which 8 they are.

Â