Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

IF we go up, Bruce will offer us our best chance of survival. Which is all the will matter. 

Yep, I think he has worked very well in not only getting us winning games but also getting  a level of professionalism back at the club. It seems a good place to be now after years of it being a toxic environment. The players he has purchased have not only generally improved us but they all seem of good character as well. The bad apples are slowly being removed from the tree. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Wouldn't you rather us have long term ambitions to win games regularly in the top flight? 

It's the accepting that it's a long way back people seem to struggle with, which is understandable. Cheers Randy. 

Oh yes, I said I'm probably just jaded after putting up with dross for a number of years. 

• Like 1

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Ha that was probably a bit dramatic. 

It just feels that ship sailed along time ago. 

Nah. It's only been a couple of years since Leicester won the title and West Ham were competing for the top 4. 

Spurs are the model to follow. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Wouldn't you rather us have long term ambitions to win games regularly in the top flight? 

It's the accepting that it's a long way back people seem to struggle with, which is understandable. Cheers Randy. 

I think its more the fact the best we can hope for is 7th unless monster of an investment

Nah. It's only been a couple of years since Leicester won the title and West Ham were competing for the top 4. 

I remember when I was in school I would do predictive print outs like AVFC PREMIER LEAGUE WINNERS AND UEFA CUP WINNERS (add future year). 

The thing is it wasn't so far fatched as that was the time we finished 4th and got to quarters of UEFA. How things have changed.

keeping on topic. If we keep Bruce as manager then it means the board believe he is the right man. Up to now they seem to have been right in their belief so I'd be ok with it. 

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think its more the fact the best we can hope for is 7th unless monster of an investment

For a few years yes. 

Tony better put his hand in his pocket then eh. 

The potential of this club is monsterous. Bigger than most. Probably bigger than any club outside the existing top 6. I think we understandably underestimate ourselves. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of setting the bar high. We also need to introduce a little realism into the mix. 

IF we do go up, especially automatically, we will have a squad used to winning. We will need to add more quality to that for sure and that will cost money. We will also need the board to step up and not let ANY manager have total control over signings, it can't work the way at the top level anymore. Unless you want to be Burnley. 

So in keeping the core of the squad together, perhaps even the entire spine, we will want continuity off the pitch too. Introducing a new manager straight off the bat, with new ideas and potentially an entire new coaching team would be potentially suicidal. 

Out of Contract - Bunn, Terry, Samba Hutton, Agbonlahor,

Loan ending - Johnstone, Tunazebe, Snodgrass, Onomah, Grabban.

Remainder - Steer, De Laet, Richards, Bree, Elmohamady, Elphick, Chester, Taylor, Green, Grealish, Whelan, Bjarnasson, Jedinak, Hourihane, Lansbury, O'Hare, Hogan, Kodja, McCormack, Davis.

Of the out of contract/Loan expiring groups seven of those ten will need replaced with proven Premier league quality and experience.

The remainder for me - only 7/8 of those would cut it in the Premier league in my opinion nowadays.

I think that no matter who is in charge, a new squad will almost be required anyway and a lot of money will be needed in doing so, and spent wisely at that.

Do not mean to sound negative but this squad we have now would most certainly get a hiding in most weeks of the premier league nowadays.

Whoever it will be in charge IF we make it back have already got a big task on their hands in the rebuilding process.

49 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Couldn't agree with you more. Especially for a club of our size.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Remainder - Steer, De Laet, Richards, Bree, Elmohamady, Elphick, Chester, Taylor, Green, Grealish, Whelan, Bjarnasson, Jedinak, Hourihane, Lansbury, O'Hare, Hogan, Kodja, McCormack, Davis.

Of the out of contract/Loan expiring groups seven of those ten will need replaced with proven Premier league quality and experience.

The remainder for me - only 7/8 of those would cut it in the Premier league in my opinion nowadays.

I think that no matter who is in charge, a new squad will almost be required anyway and a lot of money will be needed in doing so, and spent wisely at that.

Do not mean to sound negative but this squad we have now would most certainly get a hiding in most weeks of the premier league nowadays.

Whoever it will be in charge IF we make it back have already got a big task on their hands in the rebuilding process.

Crikey, that really does put things into perspective doesn't it?

I'm not sure I 100% trust Bruce to go out and buy 7-10 players to make us Premier League ready but if the board does, then that's all that matters to me. Plus, the other option is to get in a new manager (and potentially a new coaching team) to oversee the changes and that scares me even more.

12 hours ago, Zatman said:

He did at Sunderland and wasted it on Cattermole, Gyan, Larsson, Wickham, O'Shea, Brown to name a few on big fees or wages

It's a strange one for me - yes to sack a manager after achieving promotion does seem odd - however I don't have faith in him to take us forward.

i don't think getting us out of the championship proves his credentials to take the club forward imo and I really believe any number of managers would have the ability to take Aston Villa out of the championship 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don't think we will ever break top 6. Wolves probably have a better chance than us. 

The best we can hope for is to become a mid table team again and occasionally good cup runs. 

You cannot say that. With the right manager and owner we can achieve much more than that.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

It's a huge leap of faith as we all know but assuming for a moment we DO go up.

GK - If we went up I think we'll buy Johnstone and why wouldn't he want to come? If we go up he'll more than likely have continued to do well. There are still question marks, but he is still young. He knows the team, the spirits seem high. It's all good to me. He has been instrumental in winning us points at times this season. I can't remember the last time I could say that with any conviction since the days of Bosnich. I'm not saying Friedel was crap there, just this lad has something about him. He's improved massively since last season. Steer and Sarkic as back up. Let Bunn go.

Full backs - DeLaet, Elmo and Taylor are hardly going to rip up the PL but they all have experience, Bree as back up was being eyed by PL teams when we bought him. Let Hutton go. Invest in a first team left back.

Centre Back - Chester then! Yeah we have an issue to attend to here whether we go up or not. Richards obviously doesn't count. Suliman needs to bulk up. Elphick is a good bloke - I'm still not convinced personally and if we went up I wouldn't want him any more than 4th choice whether he wants to play regularly comes into play though. I think the noise from Terry is that if we went up and offered him a contract extension he'd accept. I think we'd be mad not to. I think the club know that. I can't see Samba getting another year assuming we go up. I think a first team CB to partner Chester would be the priority. I think we'd need another one in on top of that for numbers too especially if Elphick is off.

But at the back that's 1 GK out and 1 in and assuming it's Johnstone no upheaval to the team or squad whatsoever. Just money and that's what we're getting promoted for. An ageing Hutton aint gonna cut it at left back in the PL and we need to replace Amavi in the squad still basically but that's 1 full back in and one out. Pretty minimal upheaval again although a new first teamer to bed in. Assuming Terry re-signs and Elphick and Samba leave we'd need to bring in a couple of Centre Backs that much looks obvious but it's not exactly the half a new defence and new goalkeeper problem it could be. Johnstone and Terry are pretty integral to things at this point. Blooding a new CB and new LB wont be the end of the world. If Tuanzebe impresses maybe there's a season loan in the making there already. We might just be looking for a CB and a LB and letting Bunn, Hutton, Samba and Elphick all leave.

Midfield - This is our biggest worry for me. Jedinak and Whelan may be useful for cameos when we're holding on to a game. Bjarnason has done well recently but a long way to go before he transforms himself into the new Petrov. I'd want a new enforcer brought in more to make us competitive than because of any players leaving. Jack will be fine if he keeps up the good work though. Hourihane may well get found out a bit but who knows. He drifts in and out of games a bit but writing our 3rd highest scorer off seems a bit harsh and he's consistently performed in this league. Maybe Lansbury has the ability to be ok in the PL, personally I'm still unconvinced by him. Bjarnason's industry could be an asset at times. Onomah has looked good and looked miles away. With Bruce saying we'd break the bank to make it permanent there's probably a hint there as to his intentions though whether we like it or not. Maybe we need 3 new midfielders. Maybe though we only  add 1 'new' player and make Onomah part of the pride?

Wingers - Snodgrass on a permanent transfer is a no brainer. Green and Adomah will be fine for a season. Adding a winger would be prudent though imo.

Forwards - Release Gabby, please for the love of McGrath release Gabby. McCormack would be lucky to stay at this point it seems. Hopefully Kodjia gets back to full fitness. Hogan will be there. Davis and RHM is more than adequate back up imo. So 2 strikers out and a new man in.

That would technically be 10 signings but with (potentially) 5 of them being part of the squad already there would really only be 5 new players there and I don't think that's excessive or disruptive in and of itself.

Johnstone - Steer - Sarkic
Elmohamady - DeLaet - Taylor - Bree - NEW LB
Chester - Terry - Tuanzebe (possible loan) - NEW CB
NEW DMC - Grealish - Hourihane - Bjarnason - Lansbury - Onomah - Jedinak - Whelan - O'Hare
Snodgrass - Adomah - Green - NEW WINGER
Kodjia - Hogan - Davis - RHM - NEW STRIKER

any possible combination of which would beat this motley crew imo -
Guzan - Bacuna - Richards - Lescott - Richardson - Gueye - Veretout - Westwood - Ayew - Nzogbia - Gestede

If we go up it will be a huge challenge but we'll be going up much stronger than we went down. CB looks an issue though. I don't hold the same fears about our squad being as non-competitive as some though. We'd be ok with the right investment. And a couple of the younger players might just surprise one or two people.

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

It is actually pointless going up as will be back where we started

Championship much more enjoyable

2 hours ago, Xela said:

It might be an unpopular opinion but I'm not even sure I want to be back struggling in the Premier League. Scraping survival every year. 

I mean I'm probably just jaded after the post MON years but I actually like the thought of being favourites to win games at the minute. 

We need to be in the Premier League. I cannot see the point in settling for second best. It's just not in my character to accept that.

• Thanks 1

We would undoubtedly buy Johnstone and Snodders. Terry has said he would love to play in the Premier League with us and right now I've no reason to doubt him. 

So there's 3 of your 7-10 players. So basically what I said? 5-6 players of quality. Probably 2 full backs, a centre mid, a striker and we will need a centre half regardless. 

Let's not repeat our mistakes of the past. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

2 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Indeed, sad to thin that us, along with them, and Everton, were pretty much neck and neck at one point.

We decided it would be exciting to make all the wrong, uninspiring decisions instead.

4 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Just to touch on pressure, he was feeling it with us in October/December. I just worry will he cope with the fans and the pressure in the PL the minute results dip.  I don't think he will.

Depends how many of our fans are going to be expecting him to be challenging the top 6.

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

More relevant to the specific thread - we should retain the manager. Otherwise yes, it's literally full rebuild time. 

Frightening. 

The fear can be avoided if Bruce was replaced by somone of a better illk though.

I wouldn't bring in someone like Mark Hughes or Jurgen Klopp and watch us piss money up the wall, However Benitez or Ranieri would be the calibre I would trust.

Do not get me wrong, if it is not a massive improvement then stick with Bruce altough I still shudder at the thought of him being handed a war chest and blowing it all on shite then face the relegation battle.before he walks out on us like he did Hull.

Pro's and con's to the hills on this one I feel DDID.

More relevant to the specific thread - we should retain the manager. Otherwise yes, it's literally full rebuild time. 

Frightening. 

This was always the point for me even 7 games in to the season. I'm glad the time to gel has been used well it seems and long may it continue. That wasn't a given and I think he ran things pretty close with the bad start. I doubt there's anyone in here that would expect Bruce to charge us up the table if we were to go up, but how people are so quick to discard the good things that are happening here is beyond me.

Â